• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who do you blame most for the shut-down?

Who do you blame most for the shut-down?

• Trump

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • D CongressCritters

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The rules are that you only get two choices other than not voting....Trump or D CongressCritters.

Let's see how DP compares to what we are told is the general public's opinion:
Forty-seven percent of adults hold Trump responsible, while 33 percent blame Democrats in Congress, according to the Dec. 21-25 poll, conducted mostly after the shutdown began. Seven percent of Americans blamed congressional Republicans.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ent-shutdown-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN1OQ1FA

tyvm

Do you still have time to include "other"?

What if you like that "Shut Down" and you think it should be expanded and made permanent.
That does not effect your vote, you very well might say Trump and approve of the action. Someone else maybe should poll on the question of do we approve of the shutdown.

This is about who is responsible....I should have used that word rather than blame....sorry...I do tend to forget that some folks like all of this dysfunction and embarrassment.

Last edited:
I blame the illegal immigrants

Covfefe.

I know words. I have the best words.

You should have included congress w/o a party designation or other. You simply can't blame (or credit) Trump for a bill which never emerged from congress allowing him a chance to veto (or sign into law).

Other. Who is to blame?
All administrations and congress critters who kicked the can down the road. This isn't something that just came about in 2016.

You should have included congress w/o a party designation or other. You simply can't blame (or credit) Trump for a bill which never emerged from congress allowing him a chance to veto (or sign into law).

I am interested in how DP matches up with the American People on the Trump/D CongressCritter ratio..... that would be a very interesting thing to know as I read DP I think.

I say that this is all on Trump, he is standing up for the mandate that he generated, because that in part is what elections are supposed to be all about.

How can this even be a poll? Just over a week ago, Trump said he would be “proud” to shut down the government if he didn’t get more funding for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“If we don’t get what we want, one way or the other, whether it’s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government,”

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security. … I will take the mantle,” Trump said. “I will be the one to shut it down.”

So, okay.....what's to poll? Offers were put on the table, even a CR which he see-sawed about saying he would sign it one day and the next day said he wouldn't. Again...what's to poll about. Trump owns this lock, stock and barrel.

Other. Who is to blame?
All administrations and congress critters who kicked the can down the road. This isn't something that just came about in 2016.

And you can blame the 99% of Americans or what ever it is who have not said much of anything year after year after year of watching Washington not functioning well enough to get budgets done and done on-time.....but in this exercise you only have three choices.

And you can blame the 99% of Americans or what ever it is who have not said much of anything year after year after year of watching Washington not functioning well enough to get budgets done and done on-time.....but in this exercise you only have three choices.

We all are to blame, if you want to continue down that path. How many of us have benefited from cheap labor?

How can this even be a poll? Just over a week ago, Trump said he would be “proud” to shut down the government if he didn’t get more funding for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“If we don’t get what we want, one way or the other, whether it’s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government,”

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security. … I will take the mantle,” Trump said. “I will be the one to shut it down.”

So, okay.....what's to poll? Offers were put on the table, even a CR which he see-sawed about saying he would sign it one day and the next day said he wouldn't. Again...what's to poll about. Trump owns this lock, stock and barrel.

Yep. It's the person taking responsibility in the video below:

Q: What is there to poll?

A: DP Membership opinion on the question.

Trump is attempting to blackmail legislators into forcing taxpayers to pay for what Trump promised taxpayers wouldn't have to pay for.

Trump has burned every bridge that he need to build in order to effectively work with the Congress.

He bragged that he was going to shut down the government and said he would take credit for it.

I could probably think of other reasons, but that's enough.

Easy answer: Trump.

I say that this is all on Trump, he is standing up for the mandate that he generated, because that in part is what elections are supposed to be all about.

That, of course, ignores that Trump ran (campaigned?) on Mexico, not congress or the American public, paying for the Great Wall Of Trump. What Trump really (now?) wants is anything to symbolize an increase in border security. His latest 'deal' seems to be $2.1B in funding for a slatted steel (and pointy-topped?) fence which may replace and/or extend some of the current border barriers - it is far from clear as many instances of TrumpSpeak tend to be.

Even if Trump got $5B to begin building the Great Wall Of Trump tomorrow it would never "seal the border" or do anything about the 12M (to 20M?) illegal immigrants already roaming freely inside the US, the many thousands of foreign nationals (legal or not) arriving daily or those born to them (instant US citizens) while they are here.

The real problem is that we lack any meaningful interior enforcement of federal immigration law and congress is determined to keep it that way - keeping illegal immigration as "an issue" gets them re-elected at a rate of over 90%.

That, of course, ignores that Trump ran (campaigned?) on Mexico, not congress or the American public, paying for the Great Wall Of Trump. What Trump really (now?) wants is anything to symbolize an increase in border security. His latest 'deal' seems to be $2.1B in funding for a slatted steel (and pointy-topped?) fence which may replace and/or extend some of the current border barriers - it is far from clear as many instances of TrumpSpeak tend to be.

Even if Trump got $5B to begin building the Great Wall Of Trump tomorrow it would never "seal the border" or do anything about the 12M (to 20M?) illegal immigrants already roaming freely inside the US, the many thousands of foreign nationals (legal or not) arriving daily or those born to them (instant US citizens) while they are here.

The real problem is that we lack any meaningful interior enforcement of federal immigration law and congress is determined to keep it that way - keeping illegal immigration as "an issue" gets them re-elected at a rate of over 90%.

I have participated in conversation around that topic in other threads and will not do so here now because it is extraneous to the question at hand.

It's just plain ignorant to ask who is to blame after every media outlet covered the Dec.11 meeting between 45 and the House and Senate minority leaders where 45 said he was proud to take the mantle for the shutdown..

Question; "How do most of the illegal residents in the U.S. get into the U.S.?"

Answer: By obtaining a visa then overstaying their visas.

Question; "Which country has more illegal residents in the U.S. because they have overstayed their visa?"

Answer: Canada

It's a fact that more illegals are here because they've overstayed their visa than illegals coming in through illegal border crossings. visa 'overstays' account for 1/2 of the illegals presently in the U.S.

Canadians top the list of visitors overstaying their visas.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Canadians-top-the-list-of-visitors-overstaying-13150776.php

It's just plain ignorant to ask who is to blame after every media outlet covered the Dec.11 meeting between 45 and the House and Senate minority leaders where 45 said he was proud to take the mantle for the shutdown..

Are the Reuters/Ipsos poll people known for being ignorant?

Question; "How do most of the illegal residents in the U.S. get into the U.S.?"

Answer: By obtaining a visa then overstaying their visas.

Question; "Which country has more illegal residents in the U.S. because they have overstayed their visa?"

Answer: Canada

It's a fact that more illegals are here because they've overstayed their visa than illegals coming in through illegal border crossings. visa 'overstays' account for 1/2 of the illegals presently in the U.S.

Canadians top the list of visitors overstaying their visas.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Canadians-top-the-list-of-visitors-overstaying-13150776.php

You seem to be lost....what has this to do with this thread?

The answer of course is nothing.

Back
Top Bottom