• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who do you blame most for the shut-down?

Who do you blame most for the shut-down?

• Trump

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • D CongressCritters

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
Please cite the actual legislation Trump vetoed to shutdown the government.

Don’t need to, trump said he wouldn’t sign it and scuttled the original deal. It’s trumps shutdown and no bull**** you can say will chsnge that.

Don’t need to, trump said he wouldn’t sign it and scuttled the original deal. It’s trumps shutdown and no bull**** you can say will chsnge that.
:lamo

Yes...you do NEED to...you just cant. And you know it.

Its embarrassing watching you.

You made the topic about me hating Trump. You lost.
The topic remains about Schumer blocking the spending bill. Where it crosses over to you is with your blind hatred and willingness to sacrifice your personal integrity in the name of said hatred.

Tragic.

The topic remains about Schumer blocking the spending bill. Where it crosses over to you is with your blind hatred and willingness to sacrifice your personal integrity in the name of said hatred.

Tragic.

Interesting. So holding Trump to his promises and his word is "hatred." Oh, and...

"I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck...I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it."

-Donald Trump to Chuck Schumer.

:lamo

Yes...you do NEED to...you just cant. And you know it.

Its embarrassing watching you.

When the president says he will not sign it and the Republican senate leader says he won’t bring it to a vote, that’s on them. What’s embarrassing is watching your Trump Defense Syndrome (TDS) in full bloom and you lying.

Tragic.

Schumer is not the majority leader, he cant block anything.

Schumer is not the majority leader, he cant block anything.
Sure he can...and did. A bill requires 60 votes to clear the senate.
Schumer blocked the bill, causing the shutdown. But at least you are finally on the right track.

When the president says he will not sign it and the Republican senate leader says he won’t bring it to a vote, that’s on them. What’s embarrassing is watching your Trump Defense Syndrome (TDS) in full bloom and you lying.
The president can say anything he likes...but that doesnt shut down anything. In order for ANY president to shut down anything they must have legislation to act on. I have labored this whole time under the assumption you were smart enough to know how the system works. Perhaps Im wrong.

Thats PRECISELY and ONLY how it works. The president has no power or authority to create spending legislation or authorizations...merely to sign it. The power of the purse belongs with congress. If you dont know that you should be embarrassed. If you do know that and are still willing to lie about this process...you shouldn't be embarrassed, you should be ashamed.

So...for the last time before you keep embarrassing yourself, what legislation did Trump veto?

This is not personal and no I am not 'embarrassed' yet. Just keep it on topic and let's not discuss one another.

Last edited:
H.R. 695 did not pass the senate. Trump did not veto H.R.695. Did you just deliberately lie to try to make an argument?

pathetic!

"The next day, the Senate unanimously passed a second continuing resolution, the Further Additional Continuing Appropriations Act, 2019 (H.R. 695), lasting until February 8, 2019. "

Look at the wiki, and the link to the bill's own page. It passed the senate. If that information is somehow wrong, sorry it's not me lying, clearly the sources must be wrong. Though if so, I'd like to see some citation as to why, because they look solid to me.

Getting hung up on the word 'veto' sounds like moving the goalpost. The legislation was named above: he refused to sign. If the president refuses to sign the legislation that representatives of both houses passed, because of his personal desire for a vanity project, that means it is he who is stalling the legislation. The buck stops with him.

And again, leave the personal stuff out of it: we are here to discuss the issues, not each other.

Schumer blocked the bill, causing the shutdown. But at least you are finally on the right track.

On December 18 the Senate voted unanimously (100-0) on a funding bill. Before this Senate bill could be voted on in the House, $5 billion was inserted for Trump's wall, passed (GOP majority House) and sent back to the Senate.

Schumer didn't block the modified House bill up for a vote in the Senate on December 21. McConnell wouldn't allow it to be voted on because he knew that 60 voted were impossible once the original bill was modified.

McConnell should allow all bills to be voted on so the public constituency can see exactly how their Senators votes on the issues.

Democrats are in the complete minority in Congress until Thursday. This poll sucks. :thumbdown

Democrats are in the complete minority in Congress until Thursday. This poll sucks. :thumbdown

90 people have voted and we are 188 posts into the thread....

ARGUMENT REJECTED

90 people have voted and we are 188 posts into the thread....

ARGUMENT REJECTED

Did you know that if you increase your font size, it makes your bad argument MORE VALID?

McConnell has already vowed to block the bill to re-open government.

I blame Chuckles and the leftist democrat leader because I’m sorry but, you went to the White House to be a bully? Or “in good faith” to get your way. It’s just embarrassing that you have one of the two leaders who spoke on illegal immigration but now he’s dropping the word illegal and applying to immigration .

trump made it clear as Crystal who is responsible. it is all on him!

Republicans in congress don't want to give him the money

Democrats damn sure aren't

when Trump concedes defeat then the shutdown will be over

Not sure why we needed a poll for this, Trump himself several times said he was ready to shutdown government over his wall. That is what happened, he owns this shutdown.

Now in all fairness I tend to blame all Republicans as they more or less went along with this... until it happened, then they went off to negotiate with Congressional Democrats for votes.

But even then President Umpa Lumpa said no driving home the point that Trump owns this even after Congressional Republicans were looking for options.

Back
Top Bottom