• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who do you believe was the most intelligent president in the last 100 years

Who was the most intelligent president of the last 100 years or so

• George W. Bush

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Bill Clinton

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Ronald Reagan

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Jimmie Carter

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Richard Nixon

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Lyndon Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John F. Kennedy

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Dwight Eisenhower

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Harry Truman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
This is not a question of who you agreed more with or not, but rather its a question of which president you believe was the most intelligent. The poll limits the options to 10 so I only listed the current president and other president who are commonly thought to have been the smarter ones.

I voted for Richard Nixon. Thats not to say that I am a big fan, but rather, I think he was probably one of the smartest guys ever in the Whitehouse. Clinton and FDR were very smart too though.

I don't understand why George W. Bush is on there....was it a joke or something or what.

nixon, clinton and fdr prob the smartest. All earned their ways into prestigious colleges (nixon-duke, clinton-georgetown, fdr-harvard/columbia), and all of them had a deep understanding of politics and foreign affairs when in office. Although I don't know aobut FDR, nixon and clinton had excellent speaking/debate skills.

I think they were all pretty smart except for Bush. His name should not even be on this pole.

Old and wise said:
I think they were all pretty smart except for Bush. His name should not even be on this pole.

I just wanted to see if anyone actually voted for him. Really, that is a measure of an individual’s intelligence if they were to actually think that Bush is one of the smartest presidents of the last 100 years.

It is kind of like how the old OJ Simpson trial was a moron indicator. If you believe that OJ was actually innocent, then you are probably a moron.

Oh, and Reagan was smart, smarter than some give him credit for, but there are smarter presidents in that list.

nkgupta80 said:
I don't understand why George W. Bush is on there....was it a joke or something or what.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Hell, if you are going to put Georgie's name on there, you might as well include Barney, and Mickey Mouse.:smile:

I can't believe that no ones voted for Eisenhower, he wasn't just a genius at being president, as supreme allied commander he was a genius on the battlefield as well, and even though he was a Republican, you libs should love him, haven't any of you heard his last speech. "Beware the military industrial complex."

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I can't believe that no ones voted for Eisenhower, he wasn't just a genius at being president, as supreme allied commander he was a genius on the battlefield as well, and even though he was a Republican, you libs should love him, haven't any of you heard his last speech. "Beware the military industrial complex."

I am not really a liberal, but I like Eisenhower. Back then though, Republicans were not nearly as far to the right as they are now.

Hey!!! What about George H.W. Bush?
Ha Ha Ha, just kidding. :D

Duke

Duke said:
Hey!!! What about George H.W. Bush?
Ha Ha Ha, just kidding. :D

Duke

No, you're right. If George W. Bush is on the poll, the George HW Bush should also be there.

I haven't decided what to vote for yet.

Richard Nixon?
Please.
"I am not a crook"
Richard M. Nixon. What kind of president has to say that?
"[Expletive Deleted]"
Richard M. Nixon

Duke

Connecticutter said:
No, you're right. If George W. Bush is on the poll, the George HW Bush should also be there.

I haven't decided what to vote for yet.

Well certainly you have ruled out Dubya.:lol:

Gotta run, but maybe it depends on what you mean by smart?

Bush has certainly paved the way for a successful, relaxing retirement with no financial worries ever crossing his little mind...in this respect, maybe you couldn't call him intelligent, but you could certainly call him smart...in a selfish way, perhaps?

There's no doubt in my mind that Bush will probably be one of our richest retired Presidents.

This is a tough question but i would think its Clinton or Nixon. I think they are highly intelligent at the same time destructive. Much like Einstein. HE was highly intelligent and he created the most destructive weapon that mankind has ever seen.

Best presidents I beleive were FDR, Eisenhower, Johnson, and Kennedy. We will have to wait and see if Bush finishes strongly with a win.

I voted clinton because of a quote i have posted elsewhere here
many pundits/talking heads have said
"President Clinton will go down as on of, if not the, Most Intelligent President we ever had
Unfortunately he will also go down as one of the dummest"

I despise him with every fiber in my body
but i would not mind hanging out with the guy
you know you are gonna have alot of laughs with the guy
and you sure as hell are going to score women with him:2razz:

DeeJayH said:
I voted clinton because of a quote i have posted elsewhere here
many pundits/talking heads have said
"President Clinton will go down as on of, if not the, Most Intelligent President we ever had
Unfortunately he will also go down as one of the dummest"

I despise him with every fiber in my body
but i would not mind hanging out with the guy
you know you are gonna have alot of laughs with the guy
and you sure as hell are going to score women with him:2razz:

Unfortunately this is true.

Old and wise said:

i agree very much. although im only 16 and haven't been around for many presidents, i really don't like the way bush does things.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Well certainly you have ruled out Dubya.:lol:

haha. Well, I don't know. He may seem dumb, but he's certainly outsmarted a lot of people. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

Connecticutter said:
haha. Well, I don't know. He may seem dumb, but he's certainly outsmarted a lot of people. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

I bet his "brain" Karl Rove knows!

scderigo said:
i agree very much. although im only 16 and haven't been around for many presidents, i really don't like the way bush does things.

liking what a president does and doesnt do, has nothing to do with a presidents intelligence
a presidents ability/inability to speak publicly has nothing to do with his intelligence
Clinton was a tremendous public speaker, and perhaps the most intelligent president we had
but he was also the stupidest, a national disgrace, and a presidency of nothingness but mediocrity

fdr, nixon, and clinton.

You can argue all you want, but clinton was one of those presidents who knows whats going on (unlike others)...He made mistakes, but he certainly wasn't a mediocre one.

In terms of educations these guys have had the top.

nkgupta80 said:
fdr, nixon, and clinton.

You can argue all you want, but clinton was one of those presidents who knows whats going on (unlike others)...He made mistakes, but he certainly wasn't a mediocre one.

In terms of educations these guys have had the top.

Clinton knew what was going on? First World Trade Center bombing, Embassy bombing, Federal building bombing, U.S.S. Cole, Waco, able danger, Clinton Gorelick memo, giving nuclear secrets to North Korea, Saddam kicking the weapons inspectors out, taking a tech economy unparelled in history from Reagan and Bush Sr. and having the bubble pop because of his liberal economic policy, the list go's on and on and on. There was no response no nothing Clinton had his ****ing head up his ass. (Oh and by Clinton's surplus do you mean yours and my money which he took?) Yes income taxes belong to you.

Last edited:
you never hear of the terrorist threats our country effectively stopped by our national security... Terrorist attacks during Clinton's administration happened during previous administrations also. They also happened during Bush's administration I.E 9/11. The point is that clinton knew that going into the Mid-east to stop terrorism is total bullshit.... he never did it the way BUsh is doin it rite now. and Bush's method doesn't seem to be workin...The only thing that is prob keepin us away from terrorist attacks is the gov. beefin up our national security.

As for the surpluses, No president has had much control in the past 50 yeras in making our economy better. I don't think our economy was too much better off in Clinton's term. Clinton knew this. what he did that was ingenious in making his term look better than all previous administrations was that he made foreign investment in America much more attractive. stock markets rose through manipulation, and foreign investment consequently rose. Not that he did much to help the barebones of our economy, he just knew what the hell he was doin,, and provided a stimulant to our economy. Our economy is still in the dumps..

Think of what Bush is tryin to do with the privatized SS. It'll help make the stock markets go up, what else.

Originally posted by ngupta80
Think of what Bush is tryin to do with the privatized SS. It'll help make the stock markets go up, what else.

I guess his dream of privatized s.s. went down the toilet, huh?I would'nt feel comfortable putting my hard-earned money in the stock market,so Bush's millionaire buddies can do with it as they wish.

Back
Top Bottom