• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who controls the GOP?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Many people call the GOP the Trump party as they say he controls the GOP. Latest proof seems to be that McConnell will not bring anything to the vote on the Senate that Trump will not sign. Yes, in a way Trump controls the GOP, but he seems to be controlled by the conservative media and its talking heads including Ann Coulter, Hannity and Limbaugh. A few words of warning and Trump will switch positions on any agenda item. The proof of this was seen when after agreeing to sign a clean bill to insure that the government would not be shut down, a few words of warning from the above mentioned con media talking heads and he immediately changed his mind and shut down the government and has set up a stalemate that all of us must live with. So it is my contention that the GOP is controlled through Trump by a few conservative media talking heads.

Many people call the GOP the Trump party as they say he controls the GOP. Latest proof seems to be that McConnell will not bring anything to the vote on the Senate that Trump will not sign. Yes, in a way Trump controls the GOP, but he seems to be controlled by the conservative media and its talking heads including Ann Coulter, Hannity and Limbaugh. A few words of warning and Trump will switch positions on any agenda item. The proof of this was seen when after agreeing to sign a clean bill to insure that the government would not be shut down, a few words of warning from the above mentioned con media talking heads and he immediately changed his mind and shut down the government and has set up a stalemate that all of us must live with. So it is my contention that the GOP is controlled through Trump by a few conservative media talking heads.

One would hope that a political party is controlled by their published (advertised?) platform positions and/or by the campaign assertions (promises?) made by candidates running under that party's banner (label?). I am extremely disappointed with the repubicants lack of legislative (congressional) action after having been given (by we the sheeple) majorities in both the House and the Senate coupled with the POTUS allegedly eager to sign their bills into law. This seems to indicate that, as you have noted, someone else (some other force?) may in fact be in control. That, IMHO, should be of great concern to all.

Sean Hannity and the lizard people control the GOP. Is that more or less what you were fishing for?

The GOP, much like the DNC, is controlled by the Corporations which fund them.

Who controls the GOP? Depends on what part of the GOP you are talking about.

1. Trump: Nobody controls Trump. He's the President.

2. Congress: The big money donors control them.

3. The rest of the GOP: It varies. In some places, the rank and file have their say. In other places, they don't.

One would hope that a political party is controlled by their published (advertised?) platform positions and/or by the campaign assertions (promises?) made by candidates running under that party's banner (label?). I am extremely disappointed with the repubicants lack of legislative (congressional) action after having been given (by we the sheeple) majorities in both the House and the Senate coupled with the POTUS allegedly eager to sign their bills into law. This seems to indicate that, as you have noted, someone else (some other force?) may in fact be in control. That, IMHO, should be of great concern to all.

It's a concern that conservative media voices need to remind Trump and Reps that they were elected for a reason and those campaign promises shouldn't be forgotten.

The talking heads control Donald Trump solely because he lets them. The blame still rests squarely on his shoulders.

It's a concern that conservative media voices need to remind Trump and Reps that they were elected for a reason and those campaign promises shouldn't be forgotten.

Its more of a concern that they get re-elected after failing to produce (act?) as advertised. Only the insane do the same thing over and over and always anticipate a different result.

The talking heads control Donald Trump solely because he lets them. The blame still rests squarely on his shoulders.

Nonsense, it is congress that fails to legislate - Trump has yet to veto anything.

Nonsense, it is congress that fails to legislate - Trump has yet to veto anything.

Saying you will veto something is as good as a veto.

Nope, because no congress critter has to vote for or against it.

And they now have an excuse: "Trump will just veto it anyway." And they have his own words to support this excuse. Any way you slice it, this shutdown is 100% on the President.

And they now have an excuse: "Trump will just veto it anyway." And they have his own words to support this excuse. Any way you slice it, this shutdown is 100% on the President.

Trump uttered those words in March 2017 - stating that he would not sign another 'budget' bill which lacked funding for the Great Wall Of Trump. The things that have changed are that past funding has run out and the House has a demorat majority.

Its more of a concern that they get re-elected after failing to produce (act?) as advertised. Only the insane do the same thing over and over and always anticipate a different result.

Why we need term limits. Save stupid people from themselves.

In a very superficial, partisan, expedient way, maybe. But anyone with critical thinking skills knows that a non-starter is just that. It's fake. It's kabuki theater. It's all for show. It's like the Republicans who voted to repeal OCare knowing he'd veto it.
Fake. Fake. Fake.

Why we need term limits. Save stupid people from themselves.

More likely term limits would produce more lame duck posers who couldn't care less what the voters wanted. Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it.

Trump uttered those words in March 2017 - stating that he would not sign another 'budget' bill which lacked funding for the Great Wall Of Trump. The things that have changed are that past funding has run out and the House has a demorat majority.

I guess we'll see soon enough. It sounds like the House has a package of bills ready that will reopen the government that they're expected to approve tonight. We'll see if the Senate sends it to the president and if the president doesn't veto it.

More likely term limits would produce more lame duck posers who couldn't care less what the voters wanted. Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it.
Good point. Catch 22.
Term limits might be the lesser of 2 evils and I think we need to take being a professional Senator or Congress person off the table. It shouldn't be a career.

Good point. Catch 22.
Term limits might be the lesser of 2 evils and I think we need to take being a professional Senator or Congress person off the table. It shouldn't be a career.

The problem is morons voting based on party label assuring themselves that the other party's candidate would surely be worse. That, coupled with the huge advantage enjoyed by party backed incumbents gives us the fine congress critters that we have today.

Sean Hannity and the lizard people control the GOP. Is that more or less what you were fishing for?

Makes about as much sense as concluding that Mueller is part of a Vast Liberal Conspiracy to frame Trump by way of "witch hunt"....

I think that this headline should make it quite clear who the group of people controlling the GOP are.
And I fully expect a slew of other states to follow suit, by the way. I think that this idea is going to catch fire and there won't be much of a GOP primary season at all for 2020.

Makes about as much sense as concluding that Mueller is part of a Vast Liberal Conspiracy to frame Trump by way of "witch hunt"....

In this particular case, the shutdown, Hannity DID more or less "control Trump and the GOP". The clean bill passed and was ready, then the GOP hurriedly inserted border wall funding immediately after Hannity and the rest of the RW talking heads started screeching, because Trump saw that and flipped out. Everybody saw it happen in real time a couple of weeks ago.

I don't think anyone controls the GOP anymore, which is why I see it splintering, and in the very near future. You have Trump and the idiots who support him, and then you have a lot of people who realize that the now anti-military, big spending, ugly faced GOP has stopped being the party of Reagan, and they will move out on their own.

Back
Top Bottom