• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Whitsun, Whit Sunday, Whitsunday, Whitsuntide, Pentecoste, Pfingsten - what words do you use?

I use ....

• Whitsun

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Whit Sunday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whitsunday

• Whit Monday

• Whitsuntide

• Pentecoste

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Pfingsten

• others

• none

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Whitsun, Whit Sunday, Whitsunday, Whitsuntide, Pentecoste, Pfingsten - what words do you use?

And do all of the mean the same to you?

Just another day...

They mean absolutely nothing to me personally.

I use a few of those words.

What do NOT use is "Pentecoste".

@ England

In the North West of England, church and chapel parades called whit walks still take place at this time (sometimes on Whit Friday, the Friday after Whitsun).[8] Typically, the parades include brass bands and choirs; girls attending are dressed in white. Traditionally, Whit fairs (sometimes called Whitsun ales[9]) took place. Other customs, such as Morris dancing, were associated with Whitsun, although in most cases they have been transferred to the Spring bank holiday. Whaddon, Cambridgeshire has its own Whitsun tradition of singing a unique song around the village before and on Whit Sunday itself.[10]

Just another day...
In Germany it is not ONE day - but TWO days! :)

Whit Sunday & Whit Monday!

TWO days - like for Easter and for Christmas!

In Germany it is not ONE day - but TWO days! :)

Whit Sunday & Whit Monday!

TWO days - like for Easter and for Christmas!
Good for Germany...

Whitsun Procession (1961)​

Has "Whitsun" etc dis-appeared in the English language?

In Denmark they say: "Glædelig pinse!" = Happy Whitsun!

For what?

These words mean nothing to me and I use none of them.

While we're on the subject, I'm rather fond of the word pumpernickel. How do others feel about this word?

While we're on the subject, I'm rather fond of the word pumpernickel. How do others feel about this word?
Meh.

I prefer ciabbata, filoncino, schiacciata, or focaccia if we’re discussing words for bread(s). These are words that let your tongue and breathing have a joyful ride.

2 out of 4 say:

Pentecoste​

Protestant fundamentalists probably think that "Whitsuntide" is something pagan and satanic?
Am I right?

Do you wish: Happy Whitsun!

Here in Germany we do! We say: "Frohe Pfingsten!"

In the Anglo-Saxon world Whitsun seems to be forgotten holiday.
Lots of people do not even know the word "Whitsun".

One leaves Whitsun to those terrible "Pentecostals" who have completely perverted this holiday.

Nobody wishes "Happy Whitsun"?

@ Pentecoste

That word reminds me unpleasantly on those pentecostal "talking in tongues" and other humbug.

Back
Top Bottom