• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Supremacy Relationship To White Christians, Explains Some of Trump's Supporters

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
34 minute podcast in link for those interested. I heard this on the radio today and found it interesting.

In the upcoming presidential election, 82 percent of white evangelical Protestant voters said they plan to vote for President Donald Trump. He’s appealed to white evangelical Christians consistently throughout his presidency.

White Protestants are significantly more likely than African American Protestants or religiously unaffiliated whites to see police brutality against people of color as isolated incidents rather than a systemic problem, according to the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI).

This trend isn’t an accident, writes PRRI founder Robert P. Jones in his new book White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity.

White Christian churches have not just been complacent or complicit in failing to address racism; rather, as the dominant cultural power in the U.S., they have been responsible for constructing and sustaining a project to protect white supremacy. Through the entire American story, white Christianity has served as the central source of moral legitimacy for a society explicitly built to value the lives of white people over Black people.

White Christians Grapple With Their Faith's Racist Past And Present | 1A

34 minute podcast in link for those interested. I heard this on the radio today and found it interesting.

Frederick Douglass's opinion of the Christianity of America's slaveholding South.

American Christianity’s White-Supremacy Problem

Early on in “Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass,” the first of three autobiographies Douglass wrote over his lifetime, he recounts what happened—or, perhaps more accurately, what didn’t happen—after his master, Thomas Auld, became a Christian believer at a Methodist camp meeting. Douglass had harbored the hope that Auld’s conversion, in August, 1832, might lead him to emancipate his slaves, or at least “make him more kind and humane.” Instead, Douglass writes, “If it had any effect on his character, it made him more cruel and hateful in all his ways.” Auld was ostentatious about his piety—praying “morning, noon, and night,” participating in revivals, and opening his home to travelling preachers—but he used his faith as license to inflict pain and suffering upon his slaves. “I have seen him tie up a lame young woman, and whip her with a heavy cowskin upon her naked shoulders, causing the warm red blood to drip; and, in justification of the bloody deed, he would quote this passage of Scripture—‘He that knoweth his master’s will, and doeth it not, shall be beaten with many stripes,’ ” Douglass writes. Douglass is so scornful about Christianity in his memoir that he felt a need to append an explanation clarifying that he was not an opponent of all religion. In fact, he argued that what he had written about was not “Christianity proper,” and labelling it as such would be “the boldest of all frauds.” Douglass believed that “the widest possible difference” existed between the “slaveholding religion of this land” and “the pure, peaceable, and impartial Christianity of Christ.”

American Christianity’s White-Supremacy Problem | The New Yorker

Luo-AmericanChristianity.jpg

I dunno'
I've so tired of blanketed indictments of any group. All individual groups seem to develop overriding characteristics.. one being a basic foundation ... sometimes sub-traits may form...
How can this characterization of Christianity be easily accepted as liberal thought.
Saying the same about Islam would not be tolerated by the same group that condemns Christianity.

Only if you ignore the fact that White Christian Churches were the leading forces for abolitionist movements in the United States and aimed at amalgamation and bettering the lot of former slaves, most notably the Northern Baptists.

They were also some of the leading forces in the pro-slavery movements. Basically, mainline protestants have a history of being on the right side of human rights for the most part, while White Evangelicals have a history of largely being on the wrong side of every social movement whether it was slavery, child labor, women's suffrage, Jim Crow, marriage equality and so on.

The men that engaged in lynchings, that would drag pregnant black women from their homes, tie them to a tree, and set them on fire, were all in church twice every Sunday and every Wednesday night. The folks in the South that spit on young black men and women as they walked into a newly integrated school were all in church every Sunday.

This goes all the way back to the Bible itself. If Moses were alive today, he would be tried for crimes against humanity given that he ordered wholesale genocide and the rape and sexual enslavement of prepubescent girls. There are accounts of atrocities supposedly sanctioned by God in the Bible that would make the Nazis squeamish.

Bad people do bad things on their own, but to get a good person to do evil things, you need fundamentalist religion.

This pretty much maps and explains the moral fall of the left.

A Trump supporter talking about the "moral fall of the left". There must be some kind of gene that allows someone to recognize irony and possess self-awareness that Trump's core supporters just didn't inherit.

They were also some of the leading forces in the pro-slavery movements. Basically, mainline protestants have a history of being on the right side of human rights for the most part, while White Evangelicals have a history of largely being on the wrong side of every social movement whether it was slavery, child labor, women's suffrage, Jim Crow, marriage equality and so on.

The men that engaged in lynchings, that would drag pregnant black women from their homes, tie them to a tree, and set them on fire, were all in church twice every Sunday and every Wednesday night. The folks in the South that spit on young black men and women as they walked into a newly integrated school were all in church every Sunday.

This goes all the way back to the Bible itself. If Moses were alive today, he would be tried for crimes against humanity given that he ordered wholesale genocide and the rape and sexual enslavement of prepubescent girls. There are accounts of atrocities supposedly sanctioned by God in the Bible that would make the Nazis squeamish.

Bad people do bad things on their own, but to get a good person to do evil things, you need fundamentalist religion.

That sounds too much like a cliff's notes version of the history of American Christianity in which you cribbed off someone else's notes but a couple pages got stuck together. Not totally inaccurate, but woefully incomplete.

White Southern evangelical Christians, certainly were on the wrong side of history. But Northern Evangelicals? Completely untrue. It was the Northern Evangelicals, Baptists and Congregationalists from places like the "Burned Over District" who were the leading forces of Northern Abolitionist movement. The same cut of cloth from which people like John D. Rockefeller came from. John Brown and his ilk were not mere protestants with an anemic milquetoast view of the Bible. They were evangelical Christians who attacked slavery not merely as an affront to humanity but more importantly as an affront to God, and took it as a matter of unquestioning faith.

It was Northern Evangelicals who were the moral force that led the anti-slavery movement, the woman's suffrage movement and the temperance movement. All three fantastic movements in my opinion.

If I were still religious and had faith in God, and inclined towards Christianity, I would almost certainly be a Northern Baptist. That is a Church with an august history and little to be ashamed of in comparison to their Southern brethren and the various other milquetoast congregations that went along to get along with societal injustice.

Last edited:
A Trump supporter talking about the "moral fall of the left". There must be some kind of gene that allows someone to recognize irony and possess self-awareness that Trump's core supporters just didn't inherit.

You do realize that most of these people who push books and studies like this, are overt racist in their own right. Or did you not get a chance to read "White Fragility", much less the other sources that keep getting uplifted by the left.

This person is attempting to link their opinions, their bias, bigotry and very poor understanding of todays society. To frankly claim that a large portion of people in the country are racist, and all for the simple fact that their dogma doesn't match up speakers own brand of it.

Not only that, but their base it on a premise that doesn't even "link" to racism. Just using it as a red herring, so they can freely call the other party racist.

Now that I've retreaded my feelings on the podcast. I've come to another conclusion.
It not only reeks of a lack of morality and integrity, but an intense source of bigotry as well. Which fully explains the speakers own desperation for being found as legitimate.

That sounds too much like a cliff's notes version of the history of American Christianity in which you cribbed off someone else's notes but a couple pages got stuck together. Not totally inaccurate, but woefully incomplete.

White Southern evangelical Christians, certainly were on the wrong side of history. But Northern Evangelicals? Completely untrue. It was the Northern Evangelicals, Baptists and Congregationalists from places like the "Burned Over District" who were the leading forces of Northern Abolitionist movement. The same cut of cloth from which people like John D. Rockefeller came from. John Brown and his ilk were not mere protestants with an anemic milquetoast view of the Bible. They were evangelical Christians who attacked slavery not merely as an affront to humanity but more importantly as an affront to God, and took it as a matter of unquestioning faith.

It was Northern Evangelicals who were the moral force that led the anti-slavery movement, the woman's suffrage movement and the temperance movement. All three fantastic movements in my opinion.

If I were still religious and had faith in God, and inclined towards Christianity, I would almost certainly be a Northern Baptist. That is a Church with an august history and little to be ashamed of in comparison to their Southern brethren and the various other milquetoast congregations that went along to get along with societal injustice.

I understand all of that, but Northern Baptists, which would be the American Baptists today, are a Mainline Liberal Protestant Church. They are not what would be referred to as White Evangelicals which are Southern Baptists, Missionary Baptists, Assembly of God, Pentecostals, and various "Bible Believing" non-denominational Churches. When someone says "White Evangelicals", that is who they are referring to. The churches you are referring to have far more in common with Episcopalians and ELCA than they do White Evangelicals (which is basically what the OP is referring to when they say White Christians)

The denominations you are referring to are theologically more liberal than White Evangelicals and socially much more liberal. Moreover, while they were Moderate / Country Club Republican voters in the past, they are not Trump voters by any measure.

So it's a twisted and absorb source, based on the poorly jilted opinion of a racial theorist. Who also apparently believes in the most objectionable prospects of identity politics.

This pretty much maps and explains the moral fall of the left.

How can you even talk about the moral fall of the left, when the right wing Trump Party republicans threw all their alleged 'morals' out the window, even before the lying, cheating, racist, traitorous adulterer sat his bloated rear in the white house? Sometimes the truth hurts a bit, you should read, listen, and learn, it will do you good.

How can you even talk about the moral fall of the left, when the right wing Trump Party republicans threw all their alleged 'morals' out the window, even before the lying, cheating, racist, traitorous adulterer sat his bloated rear in the white house? Sometimes the truth hurts a bit, you should read, listen, and learn, it will do you good.

Alright, I'll bite.
Citations please.

Alright, I'll bite.
Citations please.

You don't need citations, nobody who is awake and has eyes and ears open needs citations when it comes to Trump's cheating and racism. :lol: Have you had Trump on mute for the last 4+++ years? :roll:

You don't need citations, nobody who is awake and has eyes and ears open needs citations when it comes to Trump's cheating and racism. :lol: Have you had Trump on mute for the last 4+++ years? :roll:

Once again, thank that you showing that you lack the spine to actually support your own inane screeching.

You're free to run away now.

Only if you ignore the fact that White Christian Churches were the leading forces for abolitionist movements in the United States and aimed at amalgamation and bettering the lot of former slaves, most notably the Northern Baptists.

And how long ago was compared to the late 1960s, where the Religious Right had its beginnings in opposing desegregation?

The Real Origins of the Religious Right - POLITICO Magazine

Agent of Intolerance | The Nation

Jerry Falwell, the leader of the supposed moral majority, used ''religious freedom'' to oppose the desegregation of religious school. Bob Jones University only allowed interracial dating in their school in the year 2000:

Bob Jones University Drops Interracial Dating Ban... | Christianity Today

The religious right is a twisted tree that bares poisonous fruit.

Last edited:
............... "White Evangelicals".................

Yes, this is who people are talking about when they talk about systematic religious racism. The bible belt churches. They are not talking about all Christian churches and sects.

Once again, thank that you showing that you lack the spine to actually support your own inane screeching.

You're free to run away now.

I already said, I'm not going to waste any more time with you giving citations to show that Trump is a cheater and a racist. That has been proven repeatedly to America and the rest of the world. Those who still worship Trump are the ones who lack spines and patriotism. Also, don't give me your drama queen exaggerations of my posts, hardly 'inane screeching'. I have nothing to run away from, I'm not supporting a racist who serves at the pleasure of Mr. Putin and is actively violating his oath to serve our country and the AMERICAN people.....not Russia who is helping him again to CHEAT in another United States Presidential election. Stay in you bubble, your loss.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom