• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Student tells Black girl to "Go pick my cotton"

Irredentist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFrea..._way/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Couldn't find any mainstream media coverage of this event so here's the reddit post with the video.

To summarize, white student racially insults a black girl, and promptly regrets it. Somewhat satisfying to see him get what he deserved, but it is still an indication of the pathetic state of racism in American schools. These are not isolated incidents, they happen all the time to people of color. They just usually aren't caught on video, and are not widely publicized.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFrea..._way/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Couldn't find any mainstream media coverage of this event so here's the reddit post with the video.

To summarize, white student racially insults a black girl, and promptly regrets it. Somewhat satisfying to see him get what he deserved, but it is still an indication of the pathetic state of racism in American schools. These are not isolated incidents, they happen all the time to people of color. They just usually aren't caught on video, and are not widely publicized.

It's a real problem, but I understand not every bit of bad behavior by a child getting much publicity.

It's a real problem, but I understand not every bit of bad behavior by a child getting much publicity.

This goes well beyond typical childhood "bad behavior". This is atrocious by any standards, and deserves recognition, and acknowledgement as a widespread societal issue.

This goes well beyond typical childhood "bad behavior". This is atrocious by any standards, and deserves recognition, and acknowledgement as a widespread societal issue.

Or, maybe the kid was just a jagoff and doesn't speak for the entire white population of the US?

Or, maybe the kid was just a jagoff and doesn't speak for the entire white population of the US?

Can you apply this to issues people take with BLM?

you must be old and hail from the Pittsburgh area.........

oh, welcome to DP!

So which one of those other fine young white ladies and gentlemen stepped in to condemn or stop this act of blatant racism as it happened? No one did anything. They laughed.

White student says, “Go pick my cotton, it’s that way.” to Black student. : PublicFreakout

So, he says something offensive (not a good thing to do), and her response is PHYSICAL "violence?"

IMO neither party in this incident is faultless.

The boy was insensitive and provocative. But his comments, however insulting, are only words. This could be reported to the school for administrative action.

The girl was upset, which is understandable. The problem is that she not only felt free to respond with a physical assault; but also presumed such a response was both morally and legally justified.

Now I was brought up in an era when such word usage was common, and I was taught back then such words can only hurt you if YOU let them. That YOU are the master/mistress of your own feelings.

Her violent reaction presents a dual problem as I see it.

First, somehow segments of our society have bought into the idea that words are violence. That just because one takes offense, it justifies actual physical violence in response.

Second, this is a major issue with many members of the female sex. Who feel they can act out physically against men whenever they feel like it, without expecting any repercussions.

NEITHER of these ideas is acceptable.

Last edited:
White student says, “Go pick my cotton, it’s that way.” to Black student. : PublicFreakout

Not isolated, hahaha. The fake racist stunts outnumber real ones a hundred to one.

More fake narrative.

I ain't gonna lie, that **** was pretty funny.

Why the f would this be a MSM story? What is wrong with you people?

So, he says something offensive (not a good thing to do), and her response is PHYSICAL "violence?"

The boy was insensitive and provocative. But his comments, however insulting, are only words. This could be reported to the school for administrative action.

The girl was upset, which is understandable. The problem is that she not only felt free to respond with a physical assault; but also presumed such a response was both morally and legally justified.

Now I was brought up in an era when such word usage was common, and I was taught back then such words can only hurt you if YOU let them. That YOU are the master/mistress of your own feelings.

First, somehow segments of our society have bought into the idea that words are violence. That just because one takes offense, it justifies actual physical violence in response.

Second, this is a major issue with many members of the female sex. Who feel they can act out physically against men whenever they feel like it, without expecting any repercussions.

Her response was completely rational. He was obviously not expecting such an aggressive reaction, and he will think twice before provoking her in the future. She wanted him to stop, and this is an effective way of achieving that.

**** off. I don't give a flying **** what some white winger finds acceptable. You go girl. Stomp his ass next time.

Talk ****, get hit.

It may not be acceptable or justifiable, but it is often the way things work. Bullies tend to just continue to be bullies until those who are bullied stand up to them. We see that line of thinking taught a lot, and from personal experience, there is truth to it. I have always been against violence to the point that I used to break up fights between other people and get them to talk to each other to resolve their differences. Even so, I have resorted to physical violence on a few occasions to stop bullying against myself, often bullying that had occurred for weeks or even months at a time. In each occasion, the bully never bothered me again.

All of those incidents happened during adolescence. I was never suspended for my actions, but I did end up in front of the Assistant Principal twice. The first time was an altercation with someone who was a close friend up until he started bullying me, and we resolved our differences through talking within the Assistant Principal's office. The second time was a kid who intentionally stepped on my big toe after my big toenail had been ripped off the day before, and I reacted by punching him mostly to get him off my toe. The Assistant Principal had us sit down, and he sided with me because he had an ingrown toenail removed at that age and knew how painful that can be. He said that I did not handle it appropriately, but he understood why I would react as I did and told me in the future to see him if anyone tried to step on my toe again while it healed.

I still overall believe in peaceful solutions, but peaceful solutions in the schoolyard often open kids and adolescents up to more ridicule and not less. The only thing I might have done differently today would be to handle it as those who brought me to the Assistant Principal handled it. They told the Assistant Principal what happened privately, so other students did not know they had turned me in. The difference is, I understood that it was between me and the person next to me in that office. I never went out of my way to shame those students for 'ratting on me'. If the situations had been reversed, I do not know that they would have treated me with the same respect.

Last edited:

please identify the post number where this was found to speak for all white people

Her response was completely rational. He was obviously not expecting such an aggressive reaction, and he will think twice before provoking her in the future. She wanted him to stop, and this is an effective way of achieving that.

No, it was not. It was completely IRRATIONAL. She allowed her emotions to react, not her mind to act.

Back in the day, and even still today, we Black folk had a game of insults we would play. Shooting the dozens, Snapping, Cappin, etc., where we used WORDS to reduce someone to mush in front of everyone present.

Basically someone insults you and you snap back harder and harsher.

All she had to do was rank him with her words, burning him in front of friends and witnesses...and she would have walked away with both pride and the winner.

**** off. I don't give a flying **** what some white winger finds acceptable. You go girl. Stomp his ass next time.

Race baiting? Typical response of someone who has no other argument.

Next time, take a lesson from this incident:

Now I think that you know I am Black too, but I also know you don't care...you fall into the class of "if you don't agree, I can label you anything I want" ad hominem response. :naughty

Which means you have no argument.

Talk ****, get hit.

NO!

That would mean a constant issue of fights with anyone using the justification "someone talked "...." so they deserved to be hit. :doh

For example, so many members of this Forum talk "...." as demonstrated in this thread and others. We'd all be boxing several times a day, every day if your point was accepted.

Last edited:

if she actually attempted to physically harm that asshole, then i would concur with your argument

but the video reveals she gave as good (or better) than she got, as far as embarrassing another teen in front of their peers

no physical damage inflicted

the incident should now provoke the facility to have an intense discussion about bigotry with the kids

south boston?
That I wouldn't know, but I wouldn't be totally surprised. The old-school Boston accent is not greatly different than the old stereotypical working-class Chicago accent. Considering all the Irish in Chicago, many that came from or through the East Coast, there are similarities.

There was once a fairly in-depth thread here that seemed to show the phrase & spelling originated in Pittsburgh (as Rexedgar posted), then it somehow jumped to end-up in Chicago - but not much anywhere else. I myself have only heard it in Chicago. And if used disparagingly, it really is about the worst thing you can say to someone, even eclipsing F.U. Pretty much anytime I heard it used with serious intent, it was to, and always did, provoke a fight! Seriously.

Then of course the ultimate fight provoker combines both: "F.U. Jagoff!"

And there ya' go ... the standard-bearer last words heard before the bar erupts into a fight! :2razz:

I ain't gonna lie, that **** was pretty funny.
The guy deserved it. At least he had the sense to man-up and walk away, rather than argue or retaliate.

The problem with that age group is the boys are just coming into becoming masculine and having to realize the physical power advantage they have over girls, and the need to respect that by never raising a hand to one.

Assholes getting their asses kicked - Karma!

A swift kick to the crotch and that racist dipstick would have been on the ground crying. He'll think twice before shooting his racist mouth off next time. He though it was funny until she fought back.

What did the school administration do about his racist idea?

Race baiting? Typical response of someone who has no other argument.

The race baiter is the white boy asking black girls to pick his cotton you clueless white winger.

Captain Adverse said:
Now I think that you know I am Black too, but I also know you don't care...you fall into the class of "if you don't agree, I can label you anything I want" ad hominem response. :naughty

Which means you have no argument.

I dont care if you're black, white winger. And I'm not arguing, just relaying the consequences for opening your mouth and asking black people to pick your cotton. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom