• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Student tells Black girl to "Go pick my cotton"

NO!

That would mean a constant issue of fights with anyone using the justification "someone talked "...." so they deserved to be hit. :doh

For example, so many members of this Forum talk "...." as demonstrated in this thread and others. We'd all be boxing several times a day, every day if your point was accepted.

Talk ****, get hit. Not just talk. Very important distinction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFrea..._way/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Couldn't find any mainstream media coverage of this event so here's the reddit post with the video.

To summarize, white student racially insults a black girl, and promptly regrets it. Somewhat satisfying to see him get what he deserved, but it is still an indication of the pathetic state of racism in American schools. These are not isolated incidents, they happen all the time to people of color. They just usually aren't caught on video, and are not widely publicized.

No MSM coverage because it's not worth national attention. Dumbassery is not worth national coverage.

Trump bas regressed race relations 60 years

White student says, “Go pick my cotton, it’s that way.” to Black student. : PublicFreakout

Couldn't find any mainstream media coverage of this event so here's the reddit post with the video.

To summarize, white student racially insults a black girl, and promptly regrets it. Somewhat satisfying to see him get what he deserved, but it is still an indication of the pathetic state of racism in American schools. These are not isolated incidents, they happen all the time to people of color. They just usually aren't caught on video, and are not widely publicized.

Yeah, this happens so frequently that people have to devise hoaxes.

That I wouldn't know, but I wouldn't be totally surprised. The old-school Boston accent is not greatly different than the old stereotypical working-class Chicago accent. Considering all the Irish in Chicago, many that came from or through the East Coast, there are similarities.

There was once a fairly in-depth thread here that seemed to show the phrase & spelling originated in Pittsburgh (as Rexedgar posted), then it somehow jumped to end-up in Chicago - but not much anywhere else. I myself have only heard it in Chicago. And if used disparagingly, it really is about the worst thing you can say to someone, even eclipsing F.U. Pretty much anytime I heard it used with serious intent, it was to, and always did, provoke a fight! Seriously.

Then of course the ultimate fight provoker combines both: "F.U. Jagoff!"

And there ya' go ... the standard-bearer last words heard before the bar erupts into a fight! :2razz:

Same with Italian accents. I ran into a native New Orleans Italian, and I couldn’t tell the difference between his accent and those of my Italian in-laws in Boston. If I don’t know better, I would bet that was where he was from.

Same with Italian accents. I ran into a native New Orleans Italian, and I couldn’t tell the difference between his accent and those of my Italian in-laws in Boston. If I don’t know better, I would bet that was where he was
Please don't reply if you prefer you family's anonymity, but I bet they were from the North End! My family was up there visiting friends all the time, and they claimed the accent, customs, and food was just like back home with us. They loved the North End, and its people.

Trump bas regressed race relations 60 years

You have your presidents mixed up. That was Obama who regressed race relations back to the sixties.

White student says, “Go pick my cotton, it’s that way.” to Black student. : PublicFreakout

The video starts with the statement.

We have no idea what led up to the student saying what he said.

Perhaps she racially insulted him first.

And yes they are isolated incidents.

Next topic, please. This one is not worth the typing to respond to.

The video starts with the statement.

We have no idea what led up to the student saying what he said.

Perhaps she racially insulted him first.

And yes they are isolated incidents.

Next topic, please. This one is not worth the typing to respond to.

If someone black insulted you, would it turn you racist?

So, he says something offensive (not a good thing to do), and her response is PHYSICAL "violence?"

IMO neither party in this incident is faultless.

The boy was insensitive and provocative. But his comments, however insulting, are only words. This could be reported to the school for administrative action.

The girl was upset, which is understandable. The problem is that she not only felt free to respond with a physical assault; but also presumed such a response was both morally and legally justified.

Now I was brought up in an era when such word usage was common, and I was taught back then such words can only hurt you if YOU let them. That YOU are the master/mistress of your own feelings.

Her violent reaction presents a dual problem as I see it.

First, somehow segments of our society have bought into the idea that words are violence. That just because one takes offense, it justifies actual physical violence in response.

Second, this is a major issue with many members of the female sex. Who feel they can act out physically against men whenever they feel like it, without expecting any repercussions.

NEITHER of these ideas is acceptable.

I seem to recall you being in support of our gun toting homeowners from St. Louis during the riots.

So you have a problem with her getting physical in this instance, but support someone brandishing a firearm because people were walking through the neighborhood?

THAT is what is unacceptable.

You have your presidents mixed up. That was Obama who regressed race relations back to the sixties.

If you mean nothing more than his election gave racists the final push they needed to go ahead and go back to wearing thier hoods in public with pride, you would be correct. I'm gonna need you to find an incident where when he was President he retweeted known racists and supported the **** he was retweeting with his own words.

Doing that with Trump isn't that hard. You're gonna have to dig pretty deep and twist lots of **** to make that happen with Obama.

If you mean nothing more than his election gave racists the final push they needed to go ahead and go back to wearing thier hoods in public with pride, you would be correct. I'm gonna need you to find an incident where when he was President he retweeted known racists and supported the **** he was retweeting with his own words.

Doing that with Trump isn't that hard. You're gonna have to dig pretty deep and twist lots of **** to make that happen with Obama.

I don't need to dig deeper. There's plenty of articles that back up my assessment.

A few sources:
How Obama Left Us More Racially Divided Than Ever

Barack Obama sowed the division that led to Trump, conservatives say

Deep Racial Divide Remains Under Obama

More Americans feel Obama’s presidency divided the country than brought it together – The Denver Post

From the last link above:

Eight years after Obama’s historic election, just 27 percent see the U.S. as more united as a result of his presidency, according to an Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll conducted after the 2016 election. Far more — 44 percent — say it’s more divided.

Last edited:
No, it was not. It was completely IRRATIONAL. She allowed her emotions to react, not her mind to act.

Back in the day, and even still today, we Black folk had a game of insults we would play. Shooting the dozens, Snapping, Cappin, etc., where we used WORDS to reduce someone to mush in front of everyone present.

Basically someone insults you and you snap back harder and harsher.

All she had to do was rank him with her words, burning him in front of friends and witnesses...and she would have walked away with both pride and the winner.

Race baiting? Typical response of someone who has no other argument.

Next time, take a lesson from this incident:

Now I think that you know I am Black too, but I also know you don't care...you fall into the class of "if you don't agree, I can label you anything I want" ad hominem response. :naughty

Which means you have no argument.

NO!

That would mean a constant issue of fights with anyone using the justification "someone talked "...." so they deserved to be hit. :doh

For example, so many members of this Forum talk "...." as demonstrated in this thread and others. We'd all be boxing several times a day, every day if your point was accepted.

You have quite the history of writing some serious garbage, but this one especially deserves a prize. I particularly like your usage of bold and underlining.

I seem to recall you being in support of our gun toting homeowners from St. Louis during the riots.

So you have a problem with her getting physical in this instance, but support someone brandishing a firearm because people were walking through the neighborhood?

THAT is what is unacceptable.

That's known as a "false equivalence."

1. "Brandishing" is the threat of force. It is also perfectly legal under certain circumstances. For example when one fears for their own lives, the lives of others, and to protect their PRIVATE property from a credible threat. In such cases demonstrating one has the ability to protect themselves from a credible threat is acceptable. Meanwhile, they did not USE those weapons. They merely showed several hundred illegally occupying trespassers that they needed to move on and off of their PRIVATE property. Also understandable, as these trespassers had already broken down a gate to enter said property.

2. The young woman responded to WORDS with violent physical force/action. All she had to do was "cut him up" with her own words.

It seems that you believe it is okay to assault/batter someone simply because they said something you don't like or want to hear, and that you also believe people are free to destroy property, and enter property illegally with no consequences.

I'd say that would be more unacceptable an ideology than mine. :coffeepap:

Last edited:
You have quite the history of writing some serious garbage, but this one especially deserves a prize. I particularly like your usage of bold and underlining.

Another ad hominem response, as usual.

That's pretty much all your side of the argument seems to have. Personal attacks, emotional appeals, etc., etc., etc..

None of which constitutes an argument. Just noise designed to make you feel "empowered." :shrug:

Tagline time. :coffeepap:

I told my brown girlfriend to pick my ear with a cotton swab. Is that the same thing?

Of course every right winger thinks Obama invented racism, that's not a surprise.

That you could find racists being angry that a black man was in the White House wasn't what I was talking about, but I'll give you a C- for the dodge anyway.

What I said was to find me words that Barack Obama has said or tweeted that would convey that message.

Donald Trump has on MULTIPLE OCCASIONS retweeted the words of known racists and then added his own words of support to them. This is a fact.

When you can find the same kind of thing done by Obama, then we can talk.

One is openly sowing division.....the other, not so much.

So, he says something offensive (not a good thing to do), and her response is PHYSICAL "violence?"

IMO neither party in this incident is faultless.

The boy was insensitive and provocative. But his comments, however insulting, are only words. This could be reported to the school for administrative action.

The girl was upset, which is understandable. The problem is that she not only felt free to respond with a physical assault; but also presumed such a response was both morally and legally justified.

Now I was brought up in an era when such word usage was common, and I was taught back then such words can only hurt you if YOU let them. That YOU are the master/mistress of your own feelings.

Her violent reaction presents a dual problem as I see it.

First, somehow segments of our society have bought into the idea that words are violence. That just because one takes offense, it justifies actual physical violence in response.

Second, this is a major issue with many members of the female sex. Who feel they can act out physically against men whenever they feel like it, without expecting any repercussions.

NEITHER of these ideas is acceptable.

"Both sides!"

:roll:

(Look at all the space he wasted fretting about "physical violence". She threw some food at him. If the kid is such a snowflake that he can't take that, maybe he should keep his racist mouth shut).

Back
Top Bottom