• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Racism Is Destroyig Public Health

Old Trapper

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Dying of whiteness: how racial politics backfires on white Americans - Vox

Sean Illing

Why are so many poor and working-class white Americans endorsing policies that are literally killing them?

Jonathan Metzl

That’s the core question I address in the book. I look at the rejection of the Affordable Care Act in the South. I look at policies that make it far easier for people to get guns and carry guns everywhere. I look at tax cuts that benefit wealthy Americans but cut roads, bridges, and schools in poor and working-class areas. Every one of those policies has been sold as a policy that will make America great again. But they have devastating consequences for working-class populations, particularly working-class white populations, in many instances.

You can’t really understand why people might support those agendas if you just start the conversation today. There are long trajectories of anti-government sentiment that course through the South that Trump has tapped into. There are also concerns about what it means to have the government intervene in ways that equally distribute resources that working-class white populations fear might undermine their own sense of privilege.

I think the GOP has also been remarkably successful at tapping into this narrative — a narrative that makes people anxious that immigrants and minorities are going to take away privileges that are theirs.

Sean Illing

Why are so many poor and working-class white Americans endorsing policies that are literally killing them?

Jonathan Metzl

That’s the core question I address in the book. I look at the rejection of the Affordable Care Act in the South. I look at policies that make it far easier for people to get guns and carry guns everywhere. I look at tax cuts that benefit wealthy Americans but cut roads, bridges, and schools in poor and working-class areas. Every one of those policies has been sold as a policy that will make America great again. But they have devastating consequences for working-class populations, particularly working-class white populations, in many instances.

You can’t really understand why people might support those agendas if you just start the conversation today. There are long trajectories of anti-government sentiment that course through the South that Trump has tapped into. There are also concerns about what it means to have the government intervene in ways that equally distribute resources that working-class white populations fear might undermine their own sense of privilege.

I think the GOP has also been remarkably successful at tapping into this narrative — a narrative that makes people anxious that immigrants and minorities are going to take away privileges that are theirs.

Racists get what they deserve. Classic case of cutting off nose to spite face.

Racists get what they deserve. Classic case of cutting off nose to spite face.

Just because they're susceptible being conned doesn't mean that they deserve it. Most people would think exactly the same way they do if they grew up where they did.

Their education system is developed and administered by conservatives. Their local media (Sinclair) is conservative. All of their politicians are conservative. They live in depressed communities that people move out of, they only see a small slice of America. Their communities were exploited and gutted by rich corporations owned by people that live in cities. They listen to propagandists who push messages designed to benefit rich corporations owned by people who live in cities. They have no future, so the young people turn to drugs to make life livable. Overdoses are an epidemic. Poor white rural families have a lot in common with poor inner city families.

And look at their talk radio heros. Limbaugh has a gorgeous house in Palm Beach FL. Ann Coulter also lives in Palm Beach Fl. Hannity Lives in NYC and has purchased 900 properties in the last decade. They don't live where their audience lives. In fact I doubt they'd want to spend any time at all in the conservative "heartland" of America. Instead they live among the people they "hate". Rural Americans ended up where they are because they were conned. They spend hours every day listening to con artists that stoke their grievances for personal gain. Is it any wonder they're attracted to a con man president?

Only the majority power is capable of oppressing another race as a group. White racism is the only racism. Framing a social construct based on power as something a minority is capable of is, in fact, arguing from a racist position.

Just because they're susceptible being conned doesn't mean that they deserve it.

Yeah, see this isn't some little old lady who had a shady telemarketer call her or send her some kind of email with spam in it. These people wilfully seak out false information that makes them feel good in the short term while ignoring the countless efforts of others to try and help them better understand what is good for them in the long run.

Worse yet, they're very very arrogant about it and assume they're the smart ones.

Most people would think exactly the same way they do if they grew up where they did.
I didn't. I grew up in a tiny little midwestern town with a population that was about 100% white Christian, and at least 60% Republican. I still got the **** out of there and opened my eyes to the rest of the world.

Their education system is developed and administered by conservatives. Their local media (Sinclair) is conservative. All of their politicians are conservative. They live in depressed communities that people move out of, they only see a small slice of America.
The alternative information is out there. It's everywhere. I don't care where you're raised there is no excuse to be a middle-aged adult who has never encountered it unless you're not even trying to look.

Only the majority power is capable of oppressing another race as a group. White racism is the only racism.

Well, it's not the only racism, but it's the only racism capable of doing serious harm to the target of that racism.

Well, it's not the only racism, but it's the only racism capable of doing serious harm to the target of that racism.

It's the only racism, that which oppresses another race as a group.

Racism =/= racial bigotry

Racism is a social construct to the detriment of a race. Racial bigotry is an individual act. The latter only becomes the former when employed by a member of the majority power.

Racism is a social construct to the detriment of a race. Racial bigotry is an individual act. The latter only becomes the former when employed by a member of the majority power.

Why crickets?

You could be the first person at this website to ever agree with me about that.

No? That's okay. Didn't think so.

White racism is the only racism.

Oh boy here comes this retarded and factual lie again :lamo

Why keep trying this lie, it never works. Nobody honest educated and objective will ever take it seriously.

Any claims that only whites can be racist is part of the problem and never part of the solution. YOUR VIEWS help racism spread and are counterproductive.

BUT . . its always fun to see it completely fail because NOBODY can ever defend such an asinine claim and theres not one fact out there that makes it true.

:popcorn2:

Facts and definitions > than your retarded lies

Why crickets?

Ummm...sorry, but no.

rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/Submit
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

The dictionary suggests you've overstepped your bounds. I think you're confusing Racism with "Institutional Racism" or "Systemic Racism."

Ummm...sorry, but no.

The dictionary suggests you've overstepped your bounds. I think you're confusing Racism with "Institutional Racism" or "Systemic Racism."

Check 2b in that dictionary. Don't just use part of a definition.

All racism is acts of individuals right now. By your definition nothing is racism since no group is suppressing another. All white people are not suppressing any race. One day when you look at the world through something other than your hate for white people view point you'll see that most white people aren't racist and most white people are not in a position to be oppressing anyone. There is no collusion of all whites. The power and influence of the small minority of white people who control the wealth and make the majority of decisions at the top levels doesn't trickle down the rest of the white people. The vast majority of white people in this country struggle every single day in this country - just like every other race. I hope that one day you will realize that individuals are more than their skin color and someday you realize that just because 2 people are the same skin color they don't share the same beliefs, money, experiences or anything else. Your hatred of whites makes you easily one of the most racist, or "racially bigoted" people on this site.

Why crickets?

nobody smart is every going to agree with your lies because the moment they think about it there hear and see the fact train heading right for them to run them down just like all your claims have been over the years :)

but as always if you or ANYBODY disagrees simply post ONE fact that makes your claim true . . one
can anybody post ONE fact that shows only white people can be racist or practices racism . . . anybody?

Check 2b in that dictionary. Don't just use part of a definition.

2b doesnt cancel other definitions

according to retarded logic like that then i guess "blue" is only a feeling and cant be a color then right? :lamo

ooops your lies fail to facts again LMAO

Sean Illing

Jonathan Metzl

This doesn't happen often, but Trump said it best:

Donald Trump declares 'I love the poorly educated'

It's easy to get people who lack critical thinking skills to go against their own interests. IMO that's why we've seen the Republican party constantly attacking teachers and their unions: Keep the populace stupid and under control. Once people learn to think, they don't accept that crap anymore, just look at Universities.

Last edited:
Yeah, see this isn't some little old lady who had a shady telemarketer call her or send her some kind of email with spam in it. These people wilfully seak out false information that makes them feel good in the short term while ignoring the countless efforts of others to try and help them better understand what is good for them in the long run.

Worse yet, they're very very arrogant about it and assume they're the smart ones.

I didn't. I grew up in a tiny little midwestern town with a population that was about 100% white Christian, and at least 60% Republican. I still got the **** out of there and opened my eyes to the rest of the world.

The alternative information is out there. It's everywhere. I don't care where you're raised there is no excuse to be a middle-aged adult who has never encountered it unless you're not even trying to look.

I grew up fundamentalist and conservative. Eventually I got better. Most didn't.

Thinking critically isn't a given. It's not even an average trait. I'd say that it's pretty rare. People like you and me search for the right answer. We don't accept something just because we're told. Most people aren't like that. They don't question "convention". That's abnormal.

Being raised fundamentalist, I know that it's harmful to critical thought. Everyone is susceptible to cognitive bias, fundamentalists are trained in it. And when you're talking conservative America, this is what we're talking about. From the time you're old enough to speak you're trained that the greatest good is to believe something regardless of facts or evidence. The greatest evil is to doubt. ALL of the "intellectualism" is conclusions seeking facts. It's not an easy escape.

So I have a lot of empathy for the conned. The cons on the other hand are pretty much irredeemable.

I'll try to explain it like this:

Racism is an ism. A social construct. It's not an individual act. It's made up of individual acts by those with the power to impose a social construct.

When a black person is a racial bigot, it's not a threat via society against white people as a whole. I, as a white person, needn't worry that his bigotry will contribute to or perpetuate injustice against white people. As a member of the majority power, I'm insulated from social constructs against my group (in this case, race).

When a white person is a racial bigot, it's a threat via society against black people as a whole. It contributes to and perpetuates injustice against black people as a group. It holds us, everyone, society, back.

This threat to the group as a whole is what is employed (illegitimately) as a rationalization by criminal elements to induce riots by criminal elements. There's no "we gotta protect our group" rationalization to be made by the majority power because it's the majority power and thus needn't fear social injustice against the group as a whole.

That's why minorities riot, and the majority does not, at instances of perceived injustice.

This dynamic, global in context, should not be ignored by equating a social construct and an individual act.

alk;jsdfl;jkasdf

Last edited:
That is called a "strawman argument". AFAIK, nobody has said that. The irony is smart people don't need to use strawman arguments. So you're making a statement...

you must of quoted the wrong person because nothing you said actually applies to my post. There was factually ZERO strawmen in it. If you disagree prove otherwise, if you made a mistake no biggie just admit such.

I'll try to explain it like this:

Racism is an ism. A social construct. It's not an individual act. It's made up of individual acts by those with the power to impose a social construct.

When a black person is a racial bigot, it's not a threat via society against white people as a whole. I, as a white person, needn't worry that his bigotry will contribute to or perpetuate injustice against white people. As a member of the majority power, I'm insulated from social constructs against my group (in this case, race).

When a white person is a racial bigot, it's a threat via society against black people as a whole. It contributes to and perpetuates injustice against black people as a group. It holds us, everyone, society, back.

This threat to the group as a whole is what is employed (illegitimately) as a rationalization by criminal elements to induce riots by criminal elements. There's no "we gotta protect our group" rationalization to be made by the majority power because it's the majority power and thus needn't fear social injustice against the group as a whole.

That's why minorities riot, and the majority does not, at instances of perceived injustice.

This dynamic, global in context, should not be ignored by equating a social construct and an individual act.

awwww, all that is cute . . but all your feelings on a different topic are meaningless

fact remains black individuals can still be racist and practice racism ANY race can be

Power doesnt change the definition of racist or racism. If you want to talk about a persons ability to impact society and the world that is just fine but thats a different topic

once again, much to my delight, as always your false claims completely fail :)

you must of quoted the wrong person because nothing you said actually applies to my post. There was factually ZERO strawmen in it. If you disagree prove otherwise, if you made a mistake no biggie just admit such.

Sorry, it was my mistake...fixing now.

Sorry, it was my mistake...fixing now.

no biggie, no harm no foul, lord knows ive made more than my own share of mistakes especially here . . .
i have a 3 monitor system and usually multiple windows open, this place is typically not my main focus so i have misread, got posters names wrong and been knee jerk myself lol

kudos for the apology and admitting the mistake. Shows integrity . . SOME posters here will NEVER be able to do what yo just did:applaud:thumbs:

Sean Illing

Jonathan Metzl

It's long been so that Americans of a given economic position have more in common, and benefit (or don't) more thereby, than they do with individuals of notably higher or lower economic positions.

Want to know what candidate or public office holder may actually give a damn about working-class folks? Look and see which of them routinely are among, rather than merely before, working-class folks.

Last edited:
When a black person is a racial bigot, it's not a threat via society against white people as a whole. I, as a white person, needn't worry that his bigotry will contribute to or perpetuate injustice against white people. As a member of the majority power, I'm insulated from social constructs against my group (in this case, race)

When that Black man, or any man, takes out a pistol and shoots you simply for being White, then it does affect society since society does not know when he will again do the same. Or when a Black man suddenly hits a White woman walking down he street that too affects all of society since society doe not know who will be his next victim.

You may be "insulated" from the power of the Black community to affect the White societies well being as a whole, you are not insulated against the actions of the individual based on his racist beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom