• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White non-college Americans move away from Trump during shutdown

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

hqdefault.jpg

1/16/19
During the longest government shutdown in US history, President Donald Trump has been losing support among those who may be his strongest supporters -- white Americans who don't have college degrees. Among this group, only 45% said they approved of the job Trump is doing as President, according to a recent CNN poll conducted by SSRS. That is the lowest level of support among this subgroup by 1 percentage point in CNN's surveys and a dip from a poll conducted in early December, before the partial shutdown, when 54% of whites without college degrees approved of his job as President and 39% disapproved. The dip is notable since among whites who hold college degrees, Trump's ratings are largely unchanged in the last month and remain sharply negative -- 64% disapprove and 32% approve.

A plurality of whites without college degrees (45%) attributed the government shutdown to Trump, according to the CNN poll. Among white college graduates, 63% said Trump was responsible and only a quarter blamed the Democrats.
In 2016, two-thirds of whites without college degrees voted for Trump and 29% voted for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. They're one of the President's strongest groups of supporters. The GOP support held true in the two most recent midterm elections, in 2014, when 64% of whites with no college degrees supported Republican candidates, and in 2018, when 61% did the same.

This is Trump's meat ... his MAGA base. I strongly suspect Donald Trump's trade wars and his government shutdown are having a direct financial affect on this population demographic.

hqdefault.jpg

This is Trump's meat ... his MAGA base. I strongly suspect Donald Trump's trade wars and his government shutdown are having a direct financial affect on this population demographic.

His base is still with him, and it appears you are wrong about Trump losing a plurality of whites without college degrees. Of course they will attribute the shutdown to Trump. He owned it, they listened.
Why haven't you?

Most Americans agree with President Donald Trump that a "crisis" is taking place at the southern U.S. border according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Monday.

Eighty-six percent of Republicans and 54 percent of independents surveyed said there is a security crisis.

Most voters do not view the border wall as the solution to the issues they see. Forty-three percent of respondents support building it, versus 55 percent who oppose the project. Opinion on the issue is deeply partisan: 88 percent of Republicans want the wall, while 92 percent of Democrats and 59 percent of independents do not.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/vot...-will-solve-immigration-issues-poll-says.html

His base is still with him, and it appears you are wrong about Trump losing a plurality of whites without college degrees. Of course they will attribute the shutdown to Trump. He owned it, they listened.
Why haven't you?

All polls since his Oval Office speech disaster (even Rasmussen) show Trump gaining in unpopularity, the majority of Americans blame Trump for the govt. shutdown, the majority of Americans do not want a wall, the majority of Americans do not want Trump to declare a "national emergency", and Trump is losing uneducated white support. The big dope has painted himself into a political corner.

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

All polls since his Oval Office speech disaster (even Rasmussen) show Trump gaining in unpopularity, the majority of Americans blame Trump for the govt. shutdown, the majority of Americans do not want a wall, the majority of Americans do not want Trump to declare a "national emergency", and Trump is losing uneducated white support. The big dope has painted himself into a political corner.

You put way too much faith into these everyday popularity polls.
After the 2016 election, haven't you learned anything?

They don't really measure much. I was just trying to illustrate above that it really depends on which pollster your're gonna' believe.

There's an average of 79 point difference between Republicans and Democrats for Trump's approval.

It tells me that the Democrats by majority disapprove, and the Republicans are still with him.
In fact, Gallup says "Trump Job Approval Sets New Record for Polarization"
I don't see this changing. Do you?
https://news.gallup.com/poll/245996/trump-job-approval-sets-new-record-polarization.aspx

Back
Top Bottom