• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White nationalist Richard Spencer leads torch-bearing protesters defending Lee statue

exoplanet

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
White nationalist Richard Spencer leads torch-bearing protesters defending Lee statue
Self-proclaimed white nationalist Richard Spencer led a large group of demonstrators carrying torches and chanting “You will not replace us” Saturday in Charlottesville, protesting plans to remove a Confederate monument that has played an outsize role in this year’s race for Virginia governor.

“What brings us together is that we are white, we are a people, we will not be replaced,” Spencer said at an afternoon protest, the first of two rallies he led in the town where he once attended the University of Virginia.

At the second rally, dozens of torch-bearing protesters gathered in a city park Saturday evening and chanted “You will not replace us” and “Russia is our friend,” local television footage shows. Spencer was not shown addressing that gathering, but he tweeted a photo of himself standing in the crowd carrying what appeared to be a bamboo tiki torch.
First off the imagery of these people wielding torches is creepy as hell and depending upon how vulnerable people feel, it could be intimidating.

Russia is our friend? That's a weird one to me. I had never associated that with white nationalism. The only thing I can figure is that it's some kind of pro-Trump thing. I mean, I assume pretty much everyone here hates Richard Spencer, as would the average person that voted for Trump, but the level of support Spencer shows for the POTUS curdles my blood. If I were in Trump's position, I would be looking for any way to piss these people off so that they would stop thinking I supported them. Glad to see the local GOP denouncing them at least.

And then there is this little gem:
“Get your white supremacist hate out of my hometown,” Perriello wrote on Twitter.

Spencer replied: “We won, you lost, little Tommy.”

“Actually, you lost,” Perriello shot back. “In 1865. 150 years later, you’re still not over it.”

Re: White nationalist Richard Spencer leads torch-bearing protesters defending Lee st

First off the imagery of these people wielding torches is creepy as hell and depending upon how vulnerable people feel, it could be intimidating.

Russia is our friend? That's a weird one to me. I had never associated that with white nationalism. The only thing I can figure is that it's some kind of pro-Trump thing. I mean, I assume pretty much everyone here hates Richard Spencer, as would the average person that voted for Trump, but the level of support Spencer shows for the POTUS curdles my blood. If I were in Trump's position, I would be looking for any way to piss these people off so that they would stop thinking I supported them. Glad to see the local GOP denouncing them at least.

And then there is this little gem:

There has never been a white nation. They never lost, because the battle they want to fight will never happen. This type of fight only appeals to fringe extremists and historical revisionists.

Re: White nationalist Richard Spencer leads torch-bearing protesters defending Lee st

Spencer replied: “We won, you lost, little Tommy.”

I hate to say it, but Spencer's right. Trump's election was a huge win for the KKK and white supremacists nationwide.

I hate to say it, but Spencer's right. Trump's election was a huge win for the KKK and white supremacists nationwide.

Seems more like you were foaming at the mouth to say it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/l/lincoln/lincoln3/1:20.1?rgn=div2;view=fulltext

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]---that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything. I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. [Cheers and laughter.]
-Abraham Lincoln, from the Lincoln-Douglas debates

What did he mean? (as if it isn't obvious) :roll:

There's a statue called The Lincoln Memorial... jackhammers, please....

Last edited:

Ulysses S Grant had slaves so is his monuments going to be tworn down? No
16 of the first 18 presidents had owned slaves and most of those 18 were pro-slavery.
Robert E Lee is a very famous person in our nations history and was the greatest General off his time, his only difference is he faught for the confederates during the civil war. The problem is most democrates in the south want to get rid of all historical figures that were pro slavery and they are backed by blacks and different minority organizations.
We should be able to see the stupidity of tearing down old relics of the past. While enbracing diversity and inclusion of all races. The tearing down old confederate statues is just a way to try marginalize white people in there area. Any race of people who come together peacfully to show support for a cause like keeping a statue should not be demonized. But the media and democrates want to demonize it they want to demoize people like Richard Spencer (which he may have it coming I dont know much about the guy).

Back
Top Bottom