• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Michigan Cop Shoots/Kills Young Black Male Driver

jcgriff2

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I cannot believe this has happened again. I don't care what race the driver was as the cop IMO was beyond wrong here. Granted that the driver was not the most compliant person in the world, but to end up dead over a possible stolen car? This shit has to stop.

Video is a few pages down and records all.

When I hear a cop start yelling "Let go of my taser"; "don't reach for my taser"; "stop resisting" (repeatedly); and the other 'buzz phrases' we all are now accustomed to as the cops think saying such things will cover them along with the fact that the actions of both men in the video really do not back up the cop's shouted statements, we all know that something is amiss. You can hear that police back-up is on the way and is very close (sirens).

I could hear the taser go off, so assuming the taser had prongs that shot out, the taser was then not a threat to the cop as it was used, right?

Turns out the driver was shot in the back of the head while on the ground.

Incredible and very sad that yet another young man with his whole life ahead of him is dead.

I cannot believe this has happened again. I don't care what race the driver was as the cop IMO was beyond wrong here. Granted that the driver was not the most compliant person in the world, but to end up dead over a possible stolen car? This shit has to stop.

When I hear a cop start yelling "Let go of my taser"; "don't reach for my taser"; "stop resisting" (repeatedly); and the other 'buzz phrases' we all are now accustomed to as the cops think saying such things will cover them along with the fact that the actions of both men in the video really do not back up the cop's shouted statements, we all know that something is amiss. You can hear that police back-up is on the way and is very close (sirens).

I could hear the taser go off, so assuming the taser had prongs that shot out, the taser was then not a threat to the cop as it was used, right?

Incredible and very sad that yet another young man with his whole life ahead of him is dead.

I am not going to pass judgement one way or the other. I am simply going to make one observation, then ask a rhetorical question. Finally end with a suggested solution.

The incident started with a traffic stop and was escalated by the driver not complying, then trying to flee, and finally physically resisting arrest.

Why do so many of these officer involved shootings seem to occur as a direct result of the suspect/victim physically resisting arrest?

Solution: Simply comply, and let the legal process take it's course.

I am not going to pass judgement one way or the other. I am simply going to make one observation, then ask a rhetorical question. Finally end with a suggested solution.

The incident started with a traffic stop and was escalated by the driver not complying, then trying to flee, and finally physically resisting arrest.

Why do so many of these officer involved shootings seem to occur as a direct result of the suspect/victim physically resisting arrest?

Well, that's not true.

I cannot believe this has happened again. I
I can. Because when violent thugs decide to fight cops and try to take their taser, then ending up shot in the head is one likely outcome which may result from the choice to threaten a cop's life.

I don't care what race the driver was as the cop IMO was beyond wrong here.
Clearly you do, or you would not have titled this thread: "White Michigan Cop Shoots/Kills Young Black Male Driver"

Granted that the driver was not the most compliant person in the world, but to end up dead over a possible stolen car? This shit has to stop.

He didn't end up dead over a possible stolen car. He ended up dead after he continued to try and take the taser from the officer, forcing the officer to defend his own life.
When I hear a cop start yelling "Let go of my taser"; "don't reach for my taser"; "stop resisting" (repeatedly); and the other 'buzz phrases' we all are now accustomed to as the cops think saying such things will cover them along with the fact that the actions of both men in the video really do not back up the cop's shouted statements, we all know that something is amiss.

Well, I guess you did not watch the same video the rest of us saw. As clearly the suspect was resisting arrest, did fight with the officer, and had his hand on the taser refusing to let go. All clear in the video(s). Those are what are called FACTS.

You can hear that police back-up is on the way and is very close (sirens).

Yeah, so what? Is the officer supposed to just stop trying to keep the suspect from taking the taser and possibly deploying it on the officer. Then there is the possibility of taking the officer's gun?

The suspect did NOT want to go to jail, and was already willing to commit a violent felony while resisting arrest. So, what makes you believe the cop would suddenly stop and think, "okay, this guy really isn't dangerous."?
The most recent versions of tasers can deploy more than once, they have a back-up load and do not require being reloaded before deployed a second time.

He was shot AFTER taking control of the officer's taser.

He did it to himself. I am happy the officer did not lose his life while being forced to deal with the violent thug.

Comply? Like with mask mandates?

What I find interesting here is that whether the cop was right or wrong in this case, there have been so many documented cases of white cops shooting unarmed Black men that every cop is now suspect.

Granted that the driver was not the most compliant person in the world,

Underselling it a bit there, the suspect didn't not comply with a single thing the officer said.

What I find interesting here is that whether the cop was right or wrong in this case, there have been so many documented cases of white cops shooting unarmed Black men that every cop is now suspect.

The reality is that more White men than Black men are shot by White cops.

Sure hope the cop gets a fair hearing.

And if he is cleared of wrongdoing, he deserves financial compensation.

"Oops!" would not be enough.

Young people thinking about going into law enforcement would be crazy to do so.

Lawlessness obviously will only get worse with each passing decade.

Most police officers should be armed only with non lethal force. The don't seem to be well trained or responsible enough to handle lethal force.

Last edited:
There's always that human characteristic that is extremely imbedded in some people>> Fight or Flight. I personally don't have it in a "Hardwire" strong way but many people do.
At the slightest feeling of danger, they freak out and do things that they would not normally do.
Not really giving any excuse but it is true that when you have a police officer and a suspect that also have a very strong fight/flight thing going on in their brain, the outcome usually is not what they hoped for.
Many Humans are usually not entirely logical beings. I have no answers, just questions.

The cop shot him in the back of the head, execution style, was the perp was on his stomach and the cop was lying on his back.

That is not good no matter how you try to justify it. The color of the cop and the dead man are irrelevant.

I was on line once with a cop and we were talking. I asked him if he got better service with a smile or with a smile and a gun. The point? A gun is weapon and poses a threat to sane and reasonable people.

Arguing or fighting with a guy that you know is armed is not the smart move. Doing this after stealing a car, also not the smart move, indicates a there is a pattern of behavior based on stupidity.

Cops are required to put themselves in harm's way. When they determine that harm is a potential outcome of the situation, they are entitled to respond to avoid being harmed.

It is their job to be on site where when and why required. As citizens, it is our job to cooperate when they stop us.

Most police officers should be armed only with non lethal force. The don't seem to be well trained or responsible enough to handle lethal force.
While it is certainly the case that even one of these incidents is too many, (and that there have been way more than only one,) it bears mentioning that it is also the case that 99.9% of armed police officers have never and will never kill an unarmed civilian with their firearm, and will use those firearms responsibly to save lives and uphold the law.

While it is certainly the case that even one of these incidents is too many, (and that there have been way more than only one,) it bears mentioning that it is also the case that 99.9% of armed police officers have never and will never kill an unarmed civilian with their firearm, and will use those firearms responsibly to save lives and uphold the law.
Another case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone.

Reactions: lwf
Back
Top Bottom