• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White man shot by police

plutonium

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
this is why white people are marching with blmhttp://www.cnn.com/2016/07/14/us/fresno-dylan-noble-shooting-video/index.html

White people area actually more likely to be shot by police if you can believe it, but that's about the only thing more likely to happen to them. African Americans are 30% more likely to be pulled over than whites. Once pulled over they are 300% more likely to be searched. 75% more likely to be arrested, and finally twice as likely to be charged with something carrying a mandatory minimum sentence.

So clearly there is an kind of institutional racism problem in our police departments. I think any reasonable person would agree that the majority of cops are upstanding Americans but clearly something is wrong here.
your thoughts?

White people area actually more likely to be shot by police if you can believe it, but that's about the only thing more likely to happen to them. African Americans are 30% more likely to be pulled over than whites. Once pulled over they are 300% more likely to be searched. 75% more likely to be arrested, and finally twice as likely to be charged with something carrying a mandatory minimum sentence.

So clearly there is an kind of institutional racism problem in our police departments. I think any reasonable person would agree that the majority of cops are upstanding Americans but clearly something is wrong here.
your thoughts?

Where did you pull theses stats from?

this is why white people are marching with blmhttp://www.cnn.com/2016/07/14/us/fresno-dylan-noble-shooting-video/index.html
I must say coming from a black citizen WHITE LIVES MATTER TOO.. this hurts me just as bad as black people getting shot when it possibly could have been handled a different way

Dude repeatedly ignored police demands to get on the ground -- they said it at least 10 times. He kept coming toward him and then reaching in the waistband area. What else were police to do?

your thoughts?

You seem to be implying the police are racist against blacks and the blacks do nothing to bring it on themselves.

For example, you say "75% more likely to be arrested, and finally twice as likely to be charged with something carrying a mandatory minimum sentence."

Do you think the police are inventing the charges and creating evidence in these cases, or did the black person actually commit the crime?

your thoughts?

Where these African Americans breaking the law? because, that would make them criminals... who just happen to be African Americans.

The twice as likely to be charges statistic is compared to whites who committed a comparable crime. African Americans may commit more crimes but if you add in Hispanics they make up about 30% of the total population and 60% of the prison population. That's an alarming disparity clearly indicative of some kind of problem on some level. Let me re-affirm that I believe most cops are great Americans my father happens to be an officer but clearly something is wrong here

step back take cover and actually see what object he has in his hands. do you deserve to die because you do not follow orders. do you deserve to die if you are intoxicated. an American citizen must conform perfectly to police demands or risk being killed. shot on the ground laying on his back..t. at least see a gun before you shoot

your thoughts?

https://infogr.am/Black-34991937313

This link shows that the obvious is not actually the truth.

I would very much like to hear what all those who think there is racism in America have to say about the graphs shown and the information from the link above.

You seem to be implying the police are racist against blacks and the blacks do nothing to bring it on themselves.

For example, you say "75% more likely to be arrested, and finally twice as likely to be charged with something carrying a mandatory minimum sentence."

Do you think the police are inventing the charges and creating evidence in these cases, or did the black person actually commit the crime?

Police have been known to "invent charges" and fabricate evidence. Obviously not every time, but enough to make it worth mentioning.

I know you wont believe this but le and the da tamper with evidence in a lot of cases. but that is another story

The twice as likely to be charges statistic is compared to whites who committed a comparable crime. African Americans may commit more crimes but if you add in Hispanics they make up about 30% of the total population and 60% of the prison population. That's an alarming disparity clearly indicative of some kind of problem on some level. Let me re-affirm that I believe most cops are great Americans my father happens to be an officer but clearly something is wrong here

Perhaps they should behave, then they wouldn't be in jail, and bleeding heart liberals wouldn't have to make inaccurate stats about how they are victimized by the system.

could it be as simple as the "criminal" world is glorified in the black community compared to the whites, asians, and hispanic communities

too many are led to believe that only sports, or criminal activities are the only way out....and they hear it from the earliest ages

and when they learn that they arent the next Lebron, they dont turn to books and education....they turn to drugs, gangs, and criminal activities that are openly glorified in their music and their culture

Where did you pull theses stats from?

An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force

Blacks are more likely to be on the receiving end of violent force and a number of other things but actually being shot and killed is pretty equal, with whites perhaps being slightly more likely.

Roland G. Fryer, Jr is a Harvard Professor who is black and also went into the study with the preconceived notion that blacks where killed at greater rates.

Further, it's unreasonable to believe that all vestiges of systemic racism have 100% worked it's way out of our various forms of government in the few decades since it took that National Guard to integrate public schools. However, this is not to say that all problems that exist in the modern black community can be blamed on racism and such. Just like we don't let actual hardcore racists get off the hook for being racist, even though they were raised into that culture. It is everyone's responsibility to make their own decisions and break the cycle.

Perhaps they should behave, then they wouldn't be in jail, and bleeding heart liberals wouldn't have to make inaccurate stats about how they are victimized by the system.
white kids in college and universities do more drugs then minorities do in their communities and they very seldom get arrested. white kids/ teenagers in small towns do all kind of illegal things but the police know their parents and things will be handled in a different way instead of getting a record. that what human beings do. if police were robots the stats would be a lot different

I am a white man so I cannot intelligently speak as to problems within the community. However from the outside looking in some of the things you mention do seem to be problems. We differ in the sense that I believe that doesn't account for the disparity there is certainly at least some bias in play here. There's no way 30% of the population commits 60% of the crime there is very clearly some bias in play.

Police have been known to "invent charges" and fabricate evidence. Obviously not every time, but enough to make it worth mentioning.

With the stats he posted the implication was that it happens more often than not. I mean how could there be such a difference in the arrest and conviction rate of blacks.

I know police are known to fabricate evidence, or at least change it to suit their needs, but it can't be at the rate that the OP thinks.

Somebody in the line from cop to judge would be speaking out if that were the case.

white kids in college and universities do more drugs then minorities do in their communities and they very seldom get arrested. white kids/ teenagers in small towns do all kind of illegal things but the police know their parents and things will be handled in a different way instead of getting a record. that what human beings do. if police were robots the stats would be a lot different

I would put that on the police force of the University.

If white kids are in fact doing drugs as you say, each one should be in jail and kicked out of school.

I am a white man so I cannot intelligently speak as to problems within the community. However from the outside looking in some of the things you mention do seem to be problems. We differ in the sense that I believe that doesn't account for the disparity there is certainly at least some bias in play here. There's no way 30% of the population commits 60% of the crime there is very clearly some bias in play.

Why do you disbelieve that?

An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force

Blacks are more likely to be on the receiving end of violent force and a number of other things but actually being shot and killed is pretty equal, with whites perhaps being slightly more likely.

Roland G. Fryer, Jr is a Harvard Professor who is black and also went into the study with the preconceived notion that blacks where killed at greater rates.

Further, it's unreasonable to believe that all vestiges of systemic racism have 100% worked it's way out of our various forms of government in the few decades since it took that National Guard to integrate public schools. However, this is not to say that all problems that exist in the modern black community can be blamed on racism and such. Just like we don't let actual hardcore racists get off the hook for being racist, even though they were raised into that culture. It is everyone's responsibility to make their own decisions and break the cycle.

The cops are only doing what city hall is telling them to do. The street cop doesn't set policy, they can only react to what happens in front of them. Hence....the iindividual getting choked out for selling loosies in NYC. That was a order form the Mayor himself regarding loosies. The Mayor created the prfect storm with those cops in that situation with his BS crackdown, and a defiant idiot on the street. The Baltimore Mayor(s) were the same way, and the cops got the heat from the public as being overbearing.

your thoughts?

Did you know that 94% of the statistics posted by 78% of the posters on the internet are made up 100% of the time?

The cops are only doing what city hall is telling them to do. The street cop doesn't set policy, they can only react to what happens in front of them. Hence....the iindividual getting choked out for selling loosies in NYC. That was a order form the Mayor himself regarding loosies. The Mayor created the prfect storm with those cops in that situation with his BS crackdown, and a defiant idiot on the street. The Baltimore Mayor(s) were the same way, and the cops got the heat from the public as being overbearing.

Right, but he study factored in many variables in an attempt to control for statistical disparity.

Right, but he study factored in many variables in an attempt to control for statistical disparity.

I have 5 cop friends who have to sit through the usual......gotta pick it up lectures. Tourist season is here.

Yes... I agree that there are many factors.

Back
Top Bottom