• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White James Bond to be replaced by a black James Bond

To be clear, I slightly lean towards keeping Bond white, preserving that history of his character. I'm just not that against if they try this change.

It's hard to balance these things. When James Coburn and Dean Martin wanted to give secret agents ago, even if licensing was the main issue, they made new, campy characters (Flint and Helm, respectively).

On the one hand, they could easily make a new black secret agent, whether in a new setting or in the Bond world, but he'd be viewed as a 'knock-off'. No one should have any issue if they tried it, but a challenge is when Bond is presented so much as 'the ultimate spy', it's hard to have competition. It would be like trying to have Batman be from Krypton and have the same superpowers.

Overall, no, keep Bond white. But if they decide to try a black actor - I'll enjoy the movie if it's good and be ok with it, even if wishing a little they hadn't. On the other hand, much like opponents of a blonde Bond, if he's really good we might not care and be glad they did.

I'm sure they will do it, in the realm of theater and film, they'll try just about anything. Whether they should, my point goes more to that.

Personally, I am not interested in that radical of a change to the Bond character. I prefer the original Suave, white, Brit, and I prefer the older more campy films than the darker ones that are being made today.

Look what they did to the Lone Ranger of late, they made him a joke, and the cool competent guy was Tonto. I hated the film. Because I was a fan of the LR when I was a boy in the 50s and now they are going to wreck the image of the LR hero? Might work for millennials, but not this old guy.

I'm sure they will do it, in the realm of theater and film, they'll try just about anything. Whether they should, my point goes more to that.

Personally, I am not interested in that radical of a change to the Bond character. I prefer the original Suave, white, Brit, and I prefer the older more campy films than the darker ones that are being made today.

I think we can agree, they can't please everyone.

I think many people even by the 70's were calling Bond a 'dinosaur', and others get bored with the formula. How much can they keep increasing the action? They can please the people who want more of the same or those who don't, those who want camp or those who want more gritty, and so on. It ain't easy.

Look what they did to the Lone Ranger of late, they made him a joke, and the cool competent guy was Tonto. I hated the film. Because I was a fan of the LR when I was a boy in the 50s and now they are going to wreck the image of the LR hero? Might work for millennials, but not this old guy.

No one liked the last Lone Ranger movie.

It was just a bad movie all around.

Connery was the first and only Bond for me, but Ian Fleming saw Bond as an upper class suave sophisticated Englishman, and rejected a working class Scot for the role He wanted Cary Grant, but Grant cost too much, and Connery eventually got the job because the people the snobbish Fleming chose were either too expensive, or turned it down! I don't have any issue with the melanin content of the actor's skin, just their ability. Connery wasn't white, he was powder blue, like most Scots.

If they are, it needs to be Michael B Jordan. I would have liked to see Chadwick Boseman but alas taken too early.

Daniel Craig was actually a pretty good Bond. Probably a third to both Connery and Moore (Moore might be a second for me simply due to the Bond Movies in my wheel house at that age)

Racism will be alive and well only so long as certain individuals and groups find it to their personal advantage that racism remain alive and well.

Dang! Imagine if the Rev. Al Sharpton had to find a real job! Imagine if BLM spent its time educating young men on how to behave when stopped by the cops!

Why is it always ok to replace a white with a black but not the other way around?

Same blacks are offended white do voices on black cartoons

White people have portrayed non-white characters numerous times, what are you talking about?

Cultural appropriation. Where is Jesse? Where is Al? Where is Liz Warren?

Somebody call 9-1-2!

If you're going to go with concern trolling at least use words correctly.

If you're going to go with concern trolling at least use words correctly.

What is "concern trolling"? Speak English please.

Why is it always ok to replace a white with a black but not the other way around?

Whitesplainer.jpg

Black James Bond will be a commercial failure. Audiences generally don't appreciate social justice casting in films meant to be for entertainment.

If enterainment is all about social justice, then why don't they cast the next James Bond as a handicapped wheelchair bound Chinese woman? Give those people a chance for a change.

Black James Bond will be a commercial failure. Audiences generally don't appreciate social justice casting in films meant to be for entertainment.

If enterainment is all about social justice, then why don't they cast the next James Bond as a handicapped wheelchair bound Chinese woman? Give those people a chance for a change.

How about a British James Bond vs an Irish James Bond?

James Bond just needs to be sexy and debonair...no need for a white guy for that. Plenty of such men of color named earlier in the thread.

None of the past replacements, IMO, compared to Sean Connery, but to me it would have made more sense to just replace 007 with a 008 and let 007 die a proper death.

It's a Media Entertainment Character.... !!!! (There are people of All Ethnicity and All Skin Tones within Agencies of Today... this is not the 1930's or 1940's .... It's 2021!!!!)

Since the 1960s, Caucasians have gone the extra mile to bring that ethnicity into the mainstream.

Affirmative action, for example, has brought millions of them into the middle class and also into the offices as CEOs.

Every corporation is tripping over themselves to show how much they love diversity (I assume you see all those TV commercials).

In two weeks, a member of that ethnicity becomes the VICE President (and, some think, the President sooner rather than later).

No doubt the Dems are going to pass out reparations (even to convicted violent offenders? Oh, my Lord!).

Excuse me, but I have sensed very little gratitude for all these actions. Only more and more and more demands.
The historical truths by historical documented Facts, has shown that white people did many atrocious acts against people who were non white...

White people don't get to ration out rights to people, and nobody is going to kiss white people's ass because some learned to give up the support of savagery upon and against none white people.
So, the comment about 'gratitude" is nothing more than an utterance based upon delusions of supremacy.

America DOES NOT belong to White People and White People don't get to ration out rights to Others nor to Women.

Lashana Lynch won’t take Bond’s role. She is supposed to eventually assume the 007 moniker, but will play a character named Nomi.

Let me put it thus way, Bond will still assume character and code name 007.

Let me put it thus way, Bond will still assume character and code name 007.
“James Bond is back in No Time To Die - but he's not 007 anymore. A new interview with Lashana Lynch, who plays an MI6 agent called Nomi in the film, confirmed that she has inherited the mantle of 007 from Bond.”

Clear enough for you?

Back
Top Bottom