• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White James Bond to be replaced by a black James Bond

Thazgor

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why is it always ok to replace a white with a black but not the other way around?

Same blacks are offended white do voices on black cartoons

The fact that the question is asked demonstrates that we are still a nation in which racial prejudice is a societal problem.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the prophylactic Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Reminder. I try to respond to all who quote my posts. If you do not get a response from me, it may be that you've made it onto my 'Ignore' list.

Why is it always ok to replace a white with a black but not the other way around?

Probably because it doesn't have the same history of Black people being shut out of representation. I don't really think that same dynamic exists today but it wasn't that long ago at all where it was, so it's not going to shake out over night.

It's such a natural choice I can't believe they wouldn't consider it.

He would be so great, like... SO Great in the role.

Shit...I half think of him as Bond anyways, rofl.

Shit...I half think of him as Bond anyways, rofl.

Well he's done roles... Similar might be a bad word but I mean look at Luther, he absolutely has the chops to be that type.

I did like Luther until one episode where my suspension of disbelief was shot through a cannon and I just could not accept what they did.

But man was he good in that, unfortunately he got attached to a few stinkers as of late, Dark tower, cats etc.

Bond would have been the perfect project to elevate him to where he belongs.

The short answer, as always, is that there is a history of discrimination by whites against blacks. So, for example, a "Miss black America" pageant and a "Miss white America pageant" would not be the same issue, when black women faced such exclusion from any real equal chance and participation from the dominant beauty pageant in the country, and this 'double standard' could continue even after the "Miss America" pageant became less discriminatory.

As for whites doing black voices or parts in entertainment: there's an issue of a history of discrimination against blacks there, and an unfairness to black entertainers being hired. That creates an injustice that is more sensitive about whites taking black parts than blacks taking white parts. As things become more fair, the double standards tend to go away.

But what is it that requires James Bond to be white? He's not a real historical figure.

When Daniel Craig was selected, there was some outcry, 'James Bond is not blonde', and that's without the race issue. But Craig won over most fans. There's no real difference for a black actor to do the same - or even a woman Bond, Jane Bond, including a black woman. It is a bit jarring for some fans, but it's an option that might or might not 'work', depending partly on the actor, and partly on fans' level of closed-mindedness.

But the real answer likely lies more in the marketing research showing that the franchise gets 'stale', and a change like this, in light of changing demographics, keeps it more 'fresh', and that the number of white fans who abandon the franchise might be outnumbered by the number of new fans of color who warm to the series. In short, money. The 'controversy' it causes tends to be seen by the owners as good because it's press and attention.

It doesn't make anyone 'wrong', except those whose desire for Bond to remain white isn't based on 'tradition' but racism; some would prefer keeping him white and male, some would prefer change. It's a matter of taste for both sides largely. Bond has already long had similar controversies, where his 'sexism' appealed to some men, while it alienated some people as women's equality gained ground, calling the character a dinosaur.

Well he's done roles... Similar might be a bad word but I mean look at Luther, he absolutely has the chops to be that type.

I did like Luther until one episode where my suspension of disbelief was shot through a cannon and I just could not accept what they did.

But man was he good in that, unfortunately he got attached to a few stinkers as of late, Dark tower, cats etc.

Bond would have been the perfect project to elevate him to where he belongs.

Not everyone has homeruns....but he just pulls the vibe off no matter what roll he plays. I don't know if that means he's too one-dimensional as an actor or what but Bond seems like it would fit that dimension like a glove even if he is.

But what is it that requires James Bond to be white? He's not a real historical figure.

I think that in people's mind they see Briticism as synonymous with being white, and that's the unconscious issue people have in their heads. Idris Elba, for example, would be perfect for the role and was born in London. You don't get more Brit than that. So people have to expand their minds to include more in what they think as "default British" in their minds as being white and everyone else as "other" (we do the same in the U.S. "Where are you from?").

Nationalism isn't bad in moderation, imo. Ethno-nationalism nationalism is terrible though.

If the theaters ever open again, many people who prefer "James Bond" to remain Caucasian would decline to buy tickets.

They would bear no hard feelings. They simply would not be interested in seeing the film.

If the theaters ever open again, many people who prefer "James Bond" to remain Caucasian would decline to buy tickets.

They would bear no hard feelings. They simply would not be interested in seeing the film.

Yep, if racism is alive and well in this country.

Isn't that up to those who own the rights to James Bond? He's a fictional character. They can do whatever they want.

Obviously, they would only do what they believe will make them money. That's their business.

Yep, if racism is alive and well in this country.

Racism will be alive and well only so long as certain individuals and groups find it to their personal advantage that racism remain alive and well.

Dang! Imagine if the Rev. Al Sharpton had to find a real job! Imagine if BLM spent its time educating young men on how to behave when stopped by the cops!

At least they'll get rid of Daniel Craig. He was terrible.

Racism will be alive and well only so long as certain individuals and groups find it to their personal advantage that racism remain alive and well.

Dang! Imagine if the Rev. Al Sharpton had to find a real job! Imagine if BLM spent its time educating young men on how to behave when stopped by the cops!

Is there any responsibility for the racism in this country that falls on the whites?

Okay, here’s the problem with Daniel Craig: the prototypical Bond was suave witty, and sexy. Craig was none of that. As I heard someone else note, Craig played Bond as a thug.
The Bond films were successful because they contained elements of farce, and the audience understood that. With Craig as Bond, the farcical element was basically gone and they became nothing more than yet another ultra-violent film that has become the standard these days. The typical Bond at least occasionally had a wry smile showing that he understood the farcical element, but Craig offered nothing but total seriousness and even cruelty.
Bottom line: let’s hope that the black Bond brings back the suave, witty, sexy Bond that we so love.

P.S. Can it be Idris Elba please? Thank you.
Too old. He would have two movies tops in him before they had to make a "I'm gettin too old for this shit" story like they did with Daniel Craig in Spectre, only the fourth James Bond movie he was in. Idris Elba would be a fantastic idea if he was ten years younger.

Oh my God!!! Get out the noose!!! Why do you love to post racist inflammatory threads here? You're not a full fledged racist now, are you??? People are people dude, any race or creed can play a movie character. People who don't like that can go get ****ed.

The fact that the question is asked demonstrates that we are still a nation in which racial prejudice is a societal problem.
That is proven every single day in America, on this board and in 'real' life....unfortunately. :(

Is there any responsibility for the racism in this country that falls on the whites?

Since the 1960s, Caucasians have gone the extra mile to bring that ethnicity into the mainstream.

Affirmative action, for example, has brought millions of them into the middle class and also into the offices as CEOs.

Every corporation is tripping over themselves to show how much they love diversity (I assume you see all those TV commercials).

In two weeks, a member of that ethnicity becomes the VICE President (and, some think, the President sooner rather than later).

No doubt the Dems are going to pass out reparations (even to convicted violent offenders? Oh, my Lord!).

Excuse me, but I have sensed very little gratitude for all these actions. Only more and more and more demands.

Too old. He would have two movies tops in him before they had to make a "I'm gettin too old for this shit" story like they did with Daniel Craig in Spectre, only the fourth James Bond movie he was in. Idris Elba would be a fantastic idea if he was ten years younger.

He's only 48....that's the new 30. We need positive vibes here, not negative ones, so it can happen. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom