• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White House tries to bypass Pelosi on shutdown talks, but moderate Democrats rebuff offer

Trump’s problem now because he lost Congress.

As long as one Democrat vote is needed, it will always be a problem. Trump could offer blanket amnesty for every illegal alien here now and the Dems would insist on other things which they know would sink the deal. This isn't difficult to figure out. They don't want a wall but they ESPECIALLY don't want Trump's wall. It's all about Trump.

He may have "offered" it but those 1.8M never made it into any proposed legislation or CRs. It ended up being 700K and he also wanted $25B for his wall. When they wanted to up that to 1.8M -- as he once offered -- Trump reneged. So your figures are wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.20ac48d644ed

That said, what is he offering now?

The dealer has told you his price....

Your choice is to buy....walk away....or come back with a counter offer

Trump has told them want he wants....they walked away....no counter....that is why the government is closed

The dealer has told you his price....

Your choice is to buy....walk away....or come back with a counter offer

Trump has told them want he wants....they walked away....no counter....that is why the government is closed

There is no counter. He said he wants his $5.7B and no less will do.

As long as one Democrat vote is needed, it will always be a problem. Trump could offer blanket amnesty for every illegal alien here now and the Dems would insist on other things which they know would sink the deal. This isn't difficult to figure out. They don't want a wall but they ESPECIALLY don't want Trump's wall. It's all about Trump.
I agree that both sides have been clear about their desires. Trump had an offer to fully fund his dream wall ($25B) in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for 1.8 million illegal immigrants and got greedy. Now he gets nothing and DACA will be decided by the courts. So much for “Mr. Art of the Deal”. :roll:

There is no counter. He said he wants his $5.7B and no less will do.

Exactly....

His bottom line is 5b for his wall

Your choice is to counter with something you want, accept the offer, or walk away

The democrats chose the latter instead of trying to negotiate

That is their right and their choice....and the government will stay shut until they change their mind

Exactly....

His bottom line is 5b for his wall

Your choice is to counter with something you want, accept the offer, or walk away

The democrats chose the latter instead of trying to negotiate

That is their right and their choice....and the government will stay shut until they change their mind

So, as someone who is slightly conservative, are you saying you want the government to spend even more of our money? Because that might very well be what she offers as a counter: equal spending for some liberal program.

Would that be OK with you?

I agree that both sides have been clear about their desires. Trump had an offer to fully fund his dream wall ($25B) in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for 1.8 million illegal immigrants and got greedy. Now he gets nothing and DACA will be decided by the courts. So much for “Mr. Art of the Deal”. :roll:

You all keep saying this...but there was never a bill....never anything concrete

It was just words in a meeting....easily reneged upon

Well that was dumb, Trump must be surrounded by "yes" people who tell him whatever he wants to hear. No way this strategy of undermining House leadership was going to work.

Seriously. The possible internal response to the administration's invitation:

eBqzniVh0nll.jpg

So, as someone who is slightly conservative, are you saying you want the government to spend even more of our money? Because that might very well be what she offers as a counter: equal spending for some liberal program.

Would that be OK with you?

What program? 5b is a paltry amount of money when it comes to our government. We have spent a lot more and gotten a lot less

All I know is that nothing can ba accapted or rejected until it is proposed....and I think the vast majority of people want this to end

Agreed?

What program? 5b is a paltry amount of money when it comes to our government. We have spent a lot more and gotten a lot less

All I know is that nothing can ba accapted or rejected until it is proposed....and I think the vast majority of people want this to end

Agreed?

Me? I don't want it to end if it means spending even more money. But then I'm a fiscal conservative.

Me? I don't want it to end if it means spending even more money. But then I'm a fiscal conservative.

You might want to lookup what the shutdown is costing the government on a daily basis then...

And then get back to me if the 5b might be worth it....

You might want to lookup what the shutdown is costing the government on a daily basis then...

And then get back to me if the 5b might be worth it....

That's not the point.

If our politicians roll on this and spend $11.4B instead of even $5.7B, then we'll see even more shutdowns in the future. Giving in now means giving in in the future. No thanks.

You all keep saying this...but there was never a bill....never anything concrete

It was just words in a meeting....easily reneged upon
You must be a political novice. During negotiations it is (and has been for a very long time) common for each side to publicly float offers to the other side as a means of feeling each other out and narrowing down specifics before a bill is introduced. That is what happened last year when Trump said he’d give over 1 million illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship in exchange for $25B to build his wall. It was all done but the paperwork, that is until Trump tried to scratch more out of the deal for himself and the Dems politely told him to pound sand. You’re welcome for the education. ;)

Back
Top Bottom