• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White House Signals Acceptance of Russia Sanctions Bill

FredFantaztic

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/...lights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront "The White House indicated on Sunday that President Trump would accept new legislation curtailing his authority to lift sanctions on Russia on his own, a striking turnaround after a broad revolt by lawmakers of both parties who distrusted his friendly approach to Moscow and sought to tie his hands."

Democrats and Republicans working together to curtail Trump. I like the sound of that.

Re: Congress to impose sanctions on Trump's Boss

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/...lights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront "The White House indicated on Sunday that President Trump would accept new legislation curtailing his authority to lift sanctions on Russia on his own, a striking turnaround after a broad revolt by lawmakers of both parties who distrusted his friendly approach to Moscow and sought to tie his hands."

Democrats and Republicans working together to curtail Trump. I like the sound of that.

Yeah , deal with BS and get NOTHING done because you can't deal with the election results ! RESIST , RESIST , RESIST ! Obama made progressives brain dead too ! :roll:

Friendly approach to Moscow ? Wow, we now have fake news and tin hat conspiracy theories dictating foreign policy iniatives.

This is typical unprofessional liberal journalism that dwels on process but spends little time on substance

Will he or wont he the breathlees NYT asks?

Will he or wont he what?

Whats in the sanctions?

Who knows and who cares?

Certainly not the people who get their news from the New York Times

I don't know how much Exxon is going to like that, but, I like it.

It is important that the POTUS "accept" and enforce legislation passed by congress - in this case with a 92-2 (veto proof) margin. The idea that some (most?) legislation passed by congress and signed into law is subject to change by the POTUS (unless it specifically states otherwise) is both a very bad idea and clearly contrary to the constitutional separation of powers. Since neither Obama nor Trump chose to "accept" current immigration law does not mean that they "must be" allowed to change it (there is no mention of good/bad hombres or DACA exceptions in it). IMHO, it should be an impeachable offense for the POTUS to alter or ignore the law.

This is typical unprofessional liberal journalism that dwels on process but spends little time on substance

Will he or wont he the breathlees NYT asks?

Will he or wont he what?

Whats in the sanctions?

Who knows and who cares?

Certainly not the people who get their news from the New York Times

What a moronic post. If you polled the most educated, most successful, most well informed people in the country you would find the majority of them regard the NYT as the
best newspaper there is.

The long running sanctions have not worked to change Russian behavior, sanctions often dont work, and there is a pretty good argument that sanctions have been helping Putin and helping to drive Russia further towards Team China but sure let's do more of them in the interest of doing something.

What a moronic post. If you polled the most educated, most successful, most well informed people in the country you would find the majority of them regard the NYT as the
best newspaper there is.

They used to be good but now they are the Acela of journalism, not up to standards but the best America can manage.

best newspaper there is.

The trouble with liberals is that they think having a degree in something makes them experts on everything

But in fact they all think alike because thats what they were brainwashed to think as the price of getting that degree

They used to be good but now they are the Acela of journalism, not up to standards but the best America can manage.

So what is the best in your opinion?

best newspaper there is.

Perhaps you meant if you polled the most hyperventilating, partisan, unhinged liberal weenies in the country the majority of them would view the NYT as a relevant and trustworthy newspaper

Yeah , deal with BS and get NOTHING done because you can't deal with the election results ! RESIST , RESIST , RESIST ! Obama made progressives brain dead too ! :roll:
Instead of spouting the ignorant partisan drivel, inform yourself. The bill is bipartisan and veto proof.

So what is the best in your opinion?

Read a lot of different things, and make sure that a fair share of the content is foreign. Always read skeptically and always read looking for what is not being said.

My dailys:
CNN
The Week
Politico
Breitbart
WP
DW
BBC
Yahoo news
DP

A few times a week:
Vox
NYT
Der Spiegel
New Republic
Slate
Fox news
The Hill
Seattle PI
Sputnik

Plus most issues of the Atlantic paper copy, for years Vanity fair but I have been off that just lately, my wifes celeb mags most weeks, and I read books though not as many as I would like.

The mix constantly changes, for instance VOX and slate were once daily but their bias plus lack of originality have made them more boring, Sputnik and Breitbart were not daily's till recently, as with the further decline of the so-called journalists since Trump came around meant that I needed to cast a wider net.

Last edited:

Agreed, "the best America can manage", but also very good. What is little appreciated, especially among political junkies, is that journalism in the United States has seldom if ever been better.
This refers mainly to press journalism, the kind (my guess is) most members here hardly read. The networks can't help but lag behind.

Perhaps you meant if you polled the most hyperventilating, partisan, unhinged liberal weenies in the country the majority of them would view the NYT as a relevant and trustworthy newspaper

Speaking of hyperventilating.

Last edited:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/...lights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront "The White House indicated on Sunday that President Trump would accept new legislation curtailing his authority to lift sanctions on Russia on his own, a striking turnaround after a broad revolt by lawmakers of both parties who distrusted his friendly approach to Moscow and sought to tie his hands." Democrats and Republicans working together to curtail Trump. I like the sound of that.

Who has Trump on the ground with a knee in his back and twisting his arm.

The right move for sure if he wishes to survive in office for a while longer.

The trouble with liberals is that they think having a degree in something makes them experts on everything
It is true, there are a good number of people who are very successful without having completed or even attended higher education institutions, but it is also true that by far those who lack education remain ignorant partisan hacks of every political affiliations.

The GOP controlled legislature decided that Trump couldn't be trusted in re Russia.

I wonder what they know that they're not sharing with Trumpco customers?

It seems Trumpers are down to just him and Russia at this point. Comey, Mueller, the Republican party; they're all out to get him and he along with Putin are the only ones that can save 'Murica. Drain the sewer of Americans, aye Comrades!

Lets be honest...that wasnt too great a task.

A broad revolt by lawmakers!

"...a striking turnaround after a broad revolt by lawmakers of both parties who distrusted his friendly approach to Moscow and sought to tie his hands."

"A broad revolt" against Trump accepting Putin's denial that he ordered an influence campaign to help Trump get elected. I like that. We need a broad revolt against Puppin's Puppet. Trump's attempts to undermine our Intelligence Community may have succeded with his uneducated gullible base, but the Senators aren't buying his fake news BS. Hopefully, the House will join the Senate a deliever their own overwhelming and patriotic slapdown to Puttin's Puppet. Jesus is Lord. God Bless the Moatengators. AIRBORNE.

The long running sanctions have not worked to change Russian behavior, sanctions often dont work, and there is a pretty good argument that sanctions have been helping Putin and helping to drive Russia further towards Team China but sure let's do more of them in the interest of doing something.

Sanctions didn't work against Cuba either, FOR DECADES, but the Republicans and Cons lost their minds when Obama eased them. And Russia is a MUCH bigger threat to us than Cuba is.

I wonder what the difference is now?

The GOP controlled legislature decided that Trump couldn't be trusted in re Russia.

I wonder what they know that they're not sharing with Trumpco customers?

Yep, could be a preemptive strike. They know Trump and his people has been in bed with Russia and the Mueller hammer is going to fall on Trump's head, so the Republicans in Congress figure they better start to pull away from Trump. Then when the **** hits the fan they can say to their minions 'we got tough on him too'.

Honestly, "signals" like this from the White House are essentially meaningless to me. This administration has flip flopped suddenly, and for no discernible reason, so often that i no longer have confidence in their ability to follow-through.

He can "accept" the bill and then choose to veto it. Words no longer have their own meanings, instead, they're changed to suit the presidents agenda.

Back
Top Bottom