• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White House says it could contain 90 percent of spilling oil

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
White House says it could contain 90 percent of spilling oil - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

White House says it could contain 90 percent of spilling oil
By Michael O'Brien - 06/15/10 07:27 AM ET

The Obama administration's plan to contain oil leaking from a deepwater pipeline could be sucking up as much as 90 percent of the spewing oil by the end of June.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Tuesday that the strategy BP is pursuing — at the behest of the federal government — will have a high efficiency rate in containing the oil spill by the time the end of this month rolls around.

I think they missed this milestone..... :ssst:

[The Obama administration's plan to contain oil leaking from a deepwater pipeline could be sucking up as much as 90 percent of the spewing oil by the end of June.
What arrogance. Like the "Obama Administration" knows anything about oil recovery. Where's the "Manhatten Project" approach to this environmental disaster? Where's the Think Tank? That's what this problem needed from the very beginning.

What arrogance. Like the "Obama Administration" knows anything about oil recovery. Where's the "Manhatten Project" approach to this environmental disaster? Where's the Think Tank? That's what this problem needed from the very beginning.

Mag, Bobo and his cronies don't know anything about running a country much less about how to plug an oil leak. Bobo has been at the heart of every problem we've had since he took office.

They've been doing that. Is it your impression that some Washington paper-pusher came up with these various methods of trying to plug the leak? These concrete domes, designed and built by Random Conressman?

They've been doing that. Is it your impression that some Washington paper-pusher came up with these various methods of trying to plug the leak? These concrete domes, designed and built by Random Conressman?

Is that fact or your assumption? If it's fact, President Obama could have gotten a great of ka-ching talking about it. I don't believe it is. I think BP is being left to its own devices.

:shrug:

Every year at work, we come up with an annual operating plan that is usually wrong as most AOPs tend to be. This is pretty much the same thing in my opinion.

Deuce said:
They've been doing that.

Who's "they"? I know you think all Democrats walk on water, but Obama has really dropped the ball in this situation by doing a great ostrich impression - ducking his head in the sand and hoping it goes away on its own.

At no point had I ever heard of an independent counsel or "think tank" appointed to tackle this, unless it happened after it was already too late.

:shrug:

Every year at work, we come up with an annual operating plan that is usually wrong as most AOPs tend to be. This is pretty much the same thing in my opinion.

except..... This wasn't an "AOP" it was white washing the oil spill with fake promises. :thumbs:

except..... This wasn't an "AOP" it was white washing the oil spill with fake promises. :thumbs:

I was making a point about the nature of predictions. The only fault I see here is that someone in the whitehouse is stupid enough to keep making predictions when they clearly should not be.

I was making a point about the nature of predictions. The only fault I see here is that someone in the whitehouse is stupid enough to keep making predictions when they clearly should not be.

This is actually my point, Kudos to you. :thumbs:

This is actually my point, Kudos to you. :thumbs:

No, your point was that you interpret as a promise while I see it as speculation.

For example lets look at the wording in your article. I will add emphasis where I think it is important.

The Obama administration's plan to contain oil leaking from a deepwater pipeline could be sucking up as much as 90 percent of the spewing oil by the end of June.

The way that is worded, it could be sucking up 90%, it could be more, it also could be less. It is speculation that some people misinterpret. This is largely similar to the whole 8% unemployment thing, which was a prediction that many economists were in agreement with at the time. However, the nature of predictions is that they are hard to keep accurate due to unforseen or changing circumstances. I think someone in the whitehouse should wake up and not offer to make these predictions or give them a clear disclaimer so that people won't accidently see them as promises.

No, your point was that you interpret as a promise while I see it as speculation.

For example lets look at the wording in your article. I will add emphasis where I think it is important.

Oh so you are telling me what my point is now? :lol:

I think they were selling snake oil without having a clue. Not the first time, as you alluded to... No where did I state this was a broken promise rather than an ignorant lie. :shrug:

The way that is worded, it could be sucking up 90%, it could be more, it also could be less. It is speculation that some people misinterpret. This is largely similar to the whole 8% unemployment thing, which was a prediction that many economists were in agreement with at the time. However, the nature of predictions is that they are hard to keep accurate due to unforseen or changing circumstances. I think someone in the whitehouse should wake up and not offer to make these predictions or give them a clear disclaimer so that people won't accidently see them as promises.

Sounded more than a promise to me, the way they confidently announced it would be fixed was reminiscent of bagdhad bob.....

Oh so you are telling me what my point is now? :lol:

I think you are putting this in the worst possible light and I don't think it is an accurate view on the events.

I think they were selling snake oil without having a clue. Not the first time, as you alluded to... No where did I state this was a broken promise rather than an ignorant lie. :shrug:

I don't think it was a lie. For example, if I tell my boss I will have 90 units done by a certain time with the intention of doing so and I only get 85 or some other amount, than it wasn't a lie unless I purposefully deceived him. It could happen that I was simply wrong as was this case. Now I may get in trouble regardless, but I still have not lied. I see no evidence that this administration's inaccuracies were deliberate.

Sounded more than a promise to me, the way they confidently announced it would be fixed was reminiscent of bagdhad bob.....

Well, I have shown why I think it was more informational and speculative than a promise. I think I stand on solid ground for seeing it that way.

Last edited:
I think you are putting this in the worst possible light and I don't think it is an accurate view on the events.

And you are sugar coating it because of who it is. :shrug:

I don't think it was a lie. For example, if I tell my boss I will have 90 units done by a certain time with the intention of doing so and I only get 85 or some other amount, than it wasn't a lie unless I purposefully deceived him. It could happen that I was simply wrong as was this case. Now I may get in trouble regardless, but I still have not lied. I see no evidence that this administration's inaccuracies were deliberate.

If an employee says he expects to bill 200 hrs by the end of june, and only ends up billing 5, I'd fire him...

Well, I have shown why I think it was more informational and speculative than a promise. I think I stand on solid ground for seeing it that way.

""I think the containment strategy that the Coast Guard and the federal government pushed BP to accelerate will capture most of the oil that is leaking from the Gulf right now," Gibbs said during an appearance on "Good Morning America" on ABC this morning.

RELATED ARTICLES
Obama may name 'czar' to oversee long-term recovery
Gibbs said he "absolutely" agreed with reported assessments that the strategy could mean an effective containment rate of 90 percent of the leaking oil."

Well, I'll give you not a "promise" per say, but he was blowing a whole lot of smoke up your skirt. ;)

And you are sugar coating it because of who it is. :shrug:

Nope, I already said someone in the whitehouse was being stupid for saying this. That is hardly sugar coating it. I just don't think they were being intentionally untruthful.

If an employee says he expects to bill 200 hrs by the end of june, and only ends up billing 5, I'd fire him...

I agree, as I said, I would still possibly get in trouble, but thats not the point I was making. The point was about truthfulness and when a lie is a lie.

Well, I'll give you not a "promise" per say, but he was blowing a whole lot of smoke up your skirt. ;)

I just think it was stupid to make a prediction with an unknown system without prefacing it with the uncertainty of it. I don't think it was a lie.

Back
Top Bottom