• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White House proposes plan to sell Russian yachts for Ukraine aid

Perhaps when they finish with Putin and Russia those folks can focus on how to make America pay back the American taxpayers for Afghanistan and Iraq?

--

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

--

I get extremely concerned whenever our government decides to seize private assets, in the name of 'good intentions'. I think all of us should!

So, what about this specific situation? On the surface, it seems like a good cause. But, so do many others; and we've seen how that goes!

In all fairness, I think a legislative bill specific to this particular incidence might be appropriate. But I would not sign-off on a general bill, open to future application in other instances. That's too slippery of a slope - for me!
I find this very disturbing. There have been many cases of concern with asset forfeiture laws we do have - seizing assets from people without charging them with a crime - or even without any evidence of a crime beyond 'suspicious behavior'. It's a disturbing trend in general.

In this case, we would be taking it a step further - seizing assets of private citizens who haven't even been suspected of a crime - assets which haven't been used for illegal or even suspicious activity, - because of a political decision by their government. That's legalized theft, and arguably a violation of the fourth amendment.

Are you kidding me? You are OK with taking the assets of citizens or businesses simply because they a residents of an ‘icky’ country?
Absolutely I am, when the country is "icky" enough to warrant severe sanctions.

I find this very disturbing. There have been many cases of concern with asset forfeiture laws we do have - seizing assets from people without charging them with a crime - or even without any evidence of a crime beyond 'suspicious behavior'. It's a disturbing trend in general.

In this case, we would be taking it a step further - seizing assets of private citizens who haven't even been suspected of a crime - assets which haven't been used for illegal or even suspicious activity, - because of a political decision by their government. That's legalized theft, and arguably a violation of the fourth amendment.
Not exactly how President Joe Biden put it in the presser, but I would have to see how their formation of a plan comes together and is implemented before I start wringing my hands (figuratively) over what they do and how it might apply to the rest of us non yacht and mansion owning citizens.

So interring American citizens of Japanese descent during WWII was OK with you?
Of course not. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Not exactly how President Joe Biden put it in the presser, but I would have to see how their formation of a plan comes together and is implemented before I start wringing my hands (figuratively) over what they do and how it might apply to the rest of us non yacht and mansion owning citizens.

Hmm… you are fine with the government engaging in civil asset forfeiture, so long as they promise to punish only “the rich” without any due process involved.

Hmm… you are fine with the government engaging in civil asset forfeiture, so long as they promise to punish only “the rich” without any due process involved.
Never said that, nor even implied it, so no, I am not fine with any of that.

I'm uncomfortable with this. Repurposing them for humanitarian use is one thing; selling them to ultra high net worth individuals and shipping the aid to Ukraine is something else.

I'd also be wary of purchasing one were I to have the means and desire. Buying one of these yachts might mean living with a target on your back.

Back
Top Bottom