• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White House downplays Lavrov’s remarks on weapons shipments: “That’s a threat that he has made before”

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

The White House downplayed threats made by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov against material assistance coming into Ukraine after US President Joe Biden pledged to send more than $800 million in security assistance. On Friday, Lavrov said any weapons shipments entering Ukraine will be a “legitimate” target for Russia.

“That’s a threat that he has made before,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki told CNN’s Kaitlan Collins during a press briefing Friday, adding that “there are no US troops operating inside Ukraine,” with all US forces operating exclusively in NATO territory.

As CNN previously reported, Lavrov reportedly said the Russians had “made it very clear that any cargo that will enter the territory of Ukraine, which we will consider … [carrying] weapons, will become a legitimate target,” according to state TV channel RT. A number of NATO countries, including the US, have pledged military aid to Ukraine ranging from drones to anti-tank missiles.

Lavrov said Soviet and Russian-made missile defense systems, which are available to some NATO countries, cannot be legally transferred to third countries, according to TASS.

But Psaki added that some of the convoys were also bringing humanitarian assistance.

“We continue to have the means of getting that assistance in and we have effectively been doing that in recent days,” she added, “so we will continue to work through those channels.”

--

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does not appear the White House is very concerned with Russia's threats.

--

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does not appear the White House is very concerned with Russia's threats.
Here is the problem with Lavrov's statement. We are in a time of war. There is no place for 'Fox's alternative point of view'. We need facts at this point. And facts are not being provided by Putin or Fox.

Russia is lying about the real facts because it suits their narrative. Of course they like Fox.

So, any cargo carrying weapons is a legitimate target for attack. I guess that makes it like hospitals, kindergartens, apartments, and anything else, since Russia sees everything as a legitimate target. They opened fire on unarmed people in a soup line. Lots of legitimate targets.

So, any cargo carrying weapons is a legitimate target for attack. I guess that makes it like hospitals, kindergartens, apartments, and anything else, since Russia sees everything as a legitimate target. They opened fire on unarmed people in a soup line. Lots of legitimate targets.

In general that is how the US views it, weapon shipments are legitimate targets in a war. The main issue is if attacking those shipments will expand the war. Isreal has attacked weapon shipments in Syria and Iraq I believe

--

Lavrov taking another stab at the: "It was once ours so it still is" argument that Russia now uses for Ukraine "it was once ours so it still is" and now Alaska "it was once ours so it still is and every other Tom, Dick and Larry thing. Now its the weapons "were once ours so they still are".

Earth to Russians, whether you like it or not you created this thing called the Soviet Union, something you sold the world as a Union of Republics "GUUST LAIK AMERIKA". In truth it was a facade. They were vassal states to Russia but that is not what you created in documents. So when it was time to unravel the Soviet Union, you were STUCK. You simply could not get around the distinction of Republics within the Soviet Union. As such Russia, simply one of them had no claims on the others.

Sorry BORIS.....you fugged up.

--

That might be because the White House doesn't give a damn how many Ukrainians have to die before Putin finally takes over Ukraine and, with any luck, stops his belligerence for a year or two.

In general that is how the US views it, weapon shipments are legitimate targets in a war. The main issue is if attacking those shipments will expand the war. Isreal has attacked weapon shipments in Syria and Iraq I believe
Israel has some of that same problem that anything they want to be a target is. They once planned to shoot down a civilian airliner they thought Yassir Arafat was on, over the water in a place they thought would let them disguise it as a mechanical failure. What would be helpful is what's actually being discussed here. What is the US objecting to.

That might be because the White House doesn't give a damn how many Ukrainians have to die before Putin finally takes over Ukraine and, with any luck, stops his belligerence for a year or two.

Your conclusion doesn't seem to follow the actions in my OP.

Here is the problem with Lavrov's statement. We are in a time of war. There is no place for 'Fox's alternative point of view'. We need facts at this point. And facts are not being provided by Putin or Fox.

Russia is lying about the real facts because it suits their narrative. Of course they like Fox.

Argh!

I posted the wrong link!

This is the one that should be in my OP:

He’s been like this for three weeks now.

Yeah, I have no idea how he derived that from my OP content, as the content would seem to indicate the exact opposite.

I can see a difference between this below . . .

So, any cargo carrying weapons is a legitimate target for attack.

. . . and this below here . . .

I guess that makes it like hospitals, kindergartens, apartments, and anything else, since Russia sees everything as a legitimate target. They opened fire on unarmed people in a soup line. Lots of legitimate targets.

Without defending Lavrov, I do perceive a substantive difference between a convoy of military armaments and things like hospitals & kindergartens. 'No'?

I'm pretty sure the FOX news they are actually praising is that of a few pundits, not the news staff or working journalists.

Which makes the white house panic over supplying planes all the more bizarre.

Yes it does!

I hate to admit it, but I posted the wrong link!

Here's the right one, even if some of the content overlaps:

And you know that how? Please elaborate.

Sorry, my intention was not to bring Fox into it.

I mis-posted my OP link, as they were from the same source and same subject, but slightly more content in the one below, which was supposed to my OP article.

I'm pretty sure the FOX news they are actually praising is that of a few pundits, not the news staff or working journalists.
It doesn't matter. Millions are hearing this shit. It's wrong. There is no defense for a national American news network to ever say one word praising or promoting our enemy. Especially now that Putin has proved he does not care about innocent women, children or civilians. Putin is a proven liar. They are regurgitating his lies and then Russia regurgitates Foxes lies over there.

It is not making this confrontation any easier. It will in the end have cost innocent lives.

And you know that how? Please elaborate.
Why else would the administration keep putting the axe to any suggestions of military assistance? Either you want Ukraine to be able to defend themselves and provide the support to do so or you want have them die a slow, painful death as you consistently provide the bare minimum support to make it look like you're doing something without really doing anything. It's basically the same thing the Democrats did with Trump. They never actually charged him with anything because if they did then they'd have to prove their accusation and they were MUCH better off politically by fighting that war in the press than in court.

Why else would the administration keep putting the axe to any suggestions of military assistance?

It hasn't.

The Poles weren't giving their planes away for free. They wanted compensation in the forms of equivalent aircraft.

Either way, Lavrov's warning is vague and filled with question marks. Does he mean anywhere? Or the convoys within Ukraine itself? It's these kind of open ended statements that are meant to feel around for a response that are the bread and butter of a lot of international diplomacy.

It doesn't matter. Millions are hearing this shit. It's wrong. There is no defense for a national American news network to ever say one word praising or promoting our enemy. Especially now that Putin has proved he does not care about innocent women, children or civilians. Putin is a proven liar. They are regurgitating his lies and then Russia regurgitates Foxes lies over there.

It is not making this confrontation any easier. It will in the end have cost innocent lives.

I understand your anger towards folks like Carlson; but free speech is more important than that fool. We have not declared war on Russia, and until then its a moot point. At one time I occasional watched T.C., but since the buildup to the war I cannot and will not. Nor should anyone else with a grain of human decency.

But I don't think its useful to lambast and entire network, for what would appear to be partisan reasons, when T.C. is the problems (perhaps Ingraham as well, but I have not watched her).

It hasn't.
he
The Poles weren't giving their planes away for free. They wanted compensation in the forms of equivalent aircraft.

Either way, Lavrov's warning is vague and filled with question marks. Does he mean anywhere? Or the convoys within Ukraine itself? It's these kind of open ended statements that are meant to feel around for a response that are the bread and butter of a lot of international diplomacy.
While I hope negotiations for planes are still underway....I do not want to nor need to know a single thing from any NATO or Western government including our own about this until the planes are in Ukraine and flying. Until then, Polish representatives, Blinkin, NATO reps, EU reps SHUT THE FUGG UP!

I understand your anger towards folks like Carlson; but free speech is more important than that fool. We have not declared war on Russia, and until then its a moot point. At one time I occasional watched T.C., but since the buildup to the war I cannot and will not. Nor should anyone else with a grain of human decency.

But I don't think its useful to lambast and entire network, for what would appear to be partisan reasons, when T.C. is the problems (perhaps Ingraham as well, but I have not watched her).
I am sorry, but free speech is not worth the loss of innocent human life. In time, we will be able to draw some lines to the carnage in Ukraine and back to Carlson.

Carlson is Fox News. The most watched hour on cable TV. He represents Fox News, even if they tell you he doesn't. The damage him and his network are doing is immeasurable. We may never know the real extent of it. But we know it's real.

He has literally emboldened a war criminal and is proud of it. He is disgusting and IMO, borderline treasonous.

I am sorry, but free speech is not worth the loss of innocent human life. In time, we will be able to draw some lines to the carnage in Ukraine and back to Carlson.

Carlson is Fox News. The most watched hour on cable TV. He represents Fox News, even if they tell you he doesn't. The damage him and his network are doing is immeasurable. We may never know the real extent of it. But we know it's real.
In Ukraine that is for Ukrainians to decide. Its not for you to decide. Its not for anybody to decide but Ukrainians.

In Ukraine that is for Ukrainians to decide. Its not for you to decide. Its not for anybody to decide but Ukrainians.
When the war is finally over, I'd bet my mortgage they will all agree. That is if any are left alive.

Back
Top Bottom