• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Fright - Glenn Beck's Rally Was "the waterworld" of white self-pity

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Glenn Beck's rally was large, vague, moist, and undirected

At the last "Tea Party" rally I attended, earlier this year at the Washington Monument, some in the crowd made at least an attempt to look fierce and minatory. I stood behind signs that read: "We left our guns at home—this time" and "We invoke the First Amendment today—the Second Amendment tomorrow." But Beck's event was tepid by comparison: a call to sink to the knees rather than rise from them. It was clever of him not to overbill it as a "Million"-type march (though Rep. Michele Bachmann was tempted to claim that magic figure). The numbers were impressive enough on their own, but the overall effect was large, vague, moist, and undirected: the Waterworld of white self-pity.

The Washington Post quoted Linda Adams, a Beck supporter from Colorado, who said, "We want our country to get back to its original roots," adding that "her ancestors were on the Mayflower and fought in the American Revolution." She was also upset that some schools no longer require students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Well, the U.S. population is simply not going to be replenished by Puritan pilgrims from England, and the original Pledge of Allegiance was fine with most people as a statement of national unity, until its "original intent" was compromised by a late insertion of the words "under God" in the McCarthyite 1950s. But one still sees what she means and can feel sympathy with the pulse of nostalgia.

In a rather curious and confused way, some white people are starting almost to think like a minority, even like a persecuted one. What does it take to believe that Christianity is an endangered religion in America or that the name of Jesus is insufficiently spoken or appreciated? Who wakes up believing that there is no appreciation for our veterans and our armed forces and that without a noisy speech from Sarah Palin, their sacrifice would be scorned? It's not unfair to say that such grievances are purely and simply imaginary, which in turn leads one to ask what the real ones can be. The clue, surely, is furnished by the remainder of the speeches, which deny racial feeling so monotonously and vehemently as to draw attention.

... More recently, almost every European country has seen the emergence of populist parties that call upon nativism and give vent to the idea that the majority population now feels itself unwelcome in its own country. The ugliness of Islamic fundamentalism in particular has given energy and direction to such movements. It will be astonishing if the United States is not faced, in the very near future, with a similar phenomenon. Quite a lot will depend on what kind of politicians emerge to put themselves at the head of it. Saturday's rally was quite largely confined to expressions of pathos and insecurity, voiced in a sickly and pious tone. The emotions that underlay it, however, may not be uttered that way indefinitely.

My Sunday school teacher, stated two days ago that he was persecuted because his friends wanted to go to a bar and they knew he didn't drink so they said "see ya later!" and he wasn't included and they did not take him into account.

I have a problem with this sort of thinking as it shows how lazy we have become as a nation.

Last edited:
Written By the outspoken Athiest Christopher Hitchens
Very intelligent man and somewhat likeable, however, I think he may be a little biased concerning the Glenn Beck Revival.
Just sayin....

can you address his points? the majority of people at that event were white, were they not? and reading through the transcripts, i really could NOT figure out beck's POINT. what was it?

Written By the outspoken Athiest Christopher Hitchens
Very intelligent man and somewhat likeable, however, I think he may be a little biased concerning the Glenn Beck Revival.
Just sayin....

This would be the same as those who a don't listen to what Beck has to say because of who he is.

can you address his points? the majority of people at that event were white, were they not? and reading through the transcripts, i really could NOT figure out beck's POINT. what was it?

The majority of people were white, so what? The majority of people at a baseball are white.
He made no mention of Alveda King, many clergy on stage, speakers, and entertainers being black.
As far as Glenn's point... I give up.
Let's just call the rally, A Massive Religious Revival and Fundraiser for SOWF, that for some reason has the left terrified of the up coming election.

The majority of people were white, so what? The majority of people at a baseball are white.
He made no mention of Alveda King, many clergy on stage, speakers, and entertainers being black.
As far as Glenn's point... I give up.
Let's just call the rally, A Massive Religious Revival and Fundraiser for SOWF, that for some reason has the left terrified of the up coming election.

trust me, nobody is terrified of the next election. not much changes from one side to another, give or take a war or two.

as far as beck's point......he had no point. it was an excercise in "hey! look at me!"!!!!!!

trust me, nobody is terrified of the next election. not much changes from one side to another, give or take a war or two.

as far as beck's point......he had no point. it was an excercise in "hey! look at me!"!!!!!!

See, when I read comments like this, I know that first Wednesday in Nov is going to be extra sweet, like finding out there was ONE last present under the tree, hiding in the back, and it's all yours.

I am not surprised Christopher Hitchens, anti-religious bigot that he is, would object so strongly to the event. Romanticized bull**** about American history aside Beck was obviously focused on moral values and tied that up with religion and patriotism. His point was, I felt, rather clear and all about ultimately what the event was called.

See, when I read comments like this, I know that first Wednesday in Nov is going to be extra sweet, like finding out there was ONE last present under the tree, hiding in the back, and it's all yours.

and i will be so happy for you, since you're so invested.

Even if non-conservatives support the troops or practice Christianity, they aren't conservative, so their support or practice doesn't really matter in the right's narrative.

Even if non-conservatives support the troops or practice Christianity, they aren't conservative, so their support or practice doesn't really matter in the right's narrative.

Even if?
See, this is how good the right wing spin machine is. They have people talking like there's actually a question whether or not liberals support the troops. Like the right-wing has some kind of monopoly on patriotism and supporting troops and defending the country. I would suggest that anyone who actually thinks that is themselves un-American.

Although I don't see how a crappy Kevin Costner movie is at all related to this.

Last edited:
These people are just...DUMB. I was kind of prepared for it, after watching the Glenn Beck shills on here, but I find the sheer numbers rather depressing.

Last edited:
Eh, you can make any movement look stupid by selecting around a dozen people to interview out of thousands. I don't pretend to understand this TP movement but it's quite clear what the video is trying to achieve so it's silly to base any opinions on it.

............ the majority of people in America are white are they not?

Next?

Eh, you can make any movement look stupid by selecting around a dozen people to interview out of thousands. I don't pretend to understand this TP movement but it's quite clear what the video is trying to achieve so it's silly to base any opinions on it.

Very True.

Just watch the interviews with Obama voters that were posted on YouTube by folks like Howard Stern.........................

:roll:

"I won't have to worry about my mortgage, or gas!"

............ the majority of people in America are white are they not?

Next?

As well as the majority of people in the Democratic Party.

And the majority of people who voted for Obama, the majority of the NYT's readership, the majority of people a every anti-war protest, the majority of . . . well, lots and lots of liberal things.

Most of this country is "white", why do you and others feel the need to be all racial about this sort of thing?

These people are just...DUMB. I was kind of prepared for it, after watching the Glenn Beck shills on here, but I find the sheer numbers rather depressing.

I wonder who's dumber, the people in these videos or the folks who fall for selective out takes designed to make a movement look dumb. :shrug:

This would be the same as those who a don't listen to what Beck has to say because of who he is.

Nonsense. I've lsitened, seen his disingenuousness, his lies, and his silliness. Anyone listening to him has to suspect. :lamo

Back
Top Bottom