• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Evangelicals are Going Moderate. How Will Conservative Churches Respond?

And, yes, my church and many others I've been to have said several times that the sign outside of the building doesn't mean the only "true church"
If they aren't the one true church why did they break away from the bigger church if not over doctrine?
Incorrect. Jesus is the final authority..
OK How does He decide what day is the Sabbath in Christianity: Sunday as most churches say it is or Saturday as claimed by the Seventh Day Adventists. What will Jesus decide is the right Christian doctrine Catholic or Protestant?

Some church is going to be bent out of shape over this and start another church the really really true church. Trust me, Jesus is not authority on sorting out Protestant churches. He is too smart to get involved this kind of church choir fight.

Correct. And did Jesus tell his followers to preach the Word and convert others?

I would have to research that, being sure that it is only direct quotes from him and nothing else.

If they aren't the one true church why did they break away from the bigger church if not over doctrine?

I have no idea why my church broke away from a bigger one - it happened long before me. And yet, we are still taught and know that we aren't the only true Christians. So do several churches that I've been to.

OK How does He decide what day is the Sabbath in Christianity: Sunday as most churches say it is or Saturday as claimed by the Seventh Day Adventists. What will Jesus decide is the right Christian doctrine Catholic or Protestant?

Who cares? Why does that matter in the grand scheme of things? These are things that break apart churches -- some people really care about the little things, some people don't.

The "right Christian doctrine" is simply what He taught -- repent and follow Him.

Some church is going to be bent out of shape over this and start another church the really really true church. Trust me, Jesus is not authority on sorting out Protestant churches. He is too smart to get involved this kind of church choir fight.

Jesus is the authority over all Christian churches. Some people just don't want Him to be.

Never mind that I posted links to various major denominations that call on its members to evangelize. Never mind the "Great Commission." :rolleyes:
Your problem is that you don't understand that there are as many ways to evangelize as there are people. One does not have to stand on the street corner engaging the public. There is a sisterhood that does nothing but pray for mankind hour after hour, day after day, for their entire lives. They too are evangelizing.

I would have to research that, being sure that it is only direct quotes from him and nothing else.

He did. As nota said above, The Great Commission.

If you don't know what you're talking about, why do you keep talking about it?

Your problem is that you don't understand that there are as many ways to evangelize as there are people. One does not have to stand on the street corner engaging the public. There is a sisterhood that does nothing but pray for mankind hour after hour, day after day, for their entire lives. They too are evangelizing.

Where did she say "standing on the street corner engaging the public" was the only way to evangelize?

I have no idea why my church broke away from a bigger one - it happened long before me. And yet, we are still taught and know that we aren't the only true Christians. So do several churches that I've been to.

Who cares? Why does that matter in the grand scheme of things? These are things that break apart churches -- some people really care about the little things, some people don't.

The "right Christian doctrine" is simply what He taught -- repent and follow Him.

Jesus is the authority over all Christian churches. Some people just don't want Him to be.
No, no, no : you've claimed Jesus is the final Christian authority. No backing out of that now.

No, no, no : you've claimed Jesus is the final Christian authority. No backing out of that now.

? I've never said anything other than that.

Where did she say "standing on the street corner engaging the public" was the only way to evangelize?
She didn't. I did. I used one example among the many ways to evangelize. Why do you have a problem with this?

She didn't. I did. I used one example among the many ways to evangelize. Why do you have a problem with this?

If she didn't say it, why did you say ....

? I've never said anything other than that.
Then He better get busy pretty fast because there are a lot of denominations usurping His authority and making rules, regulations, dogma and running to the SC that he has not attended to.

He did. As nota said above, The Great Commission.

If you don't know what you're talking about, why do you keep talking about it?

the Great Commission is very general and vague. What does it mean? How do you make all nations into disciples? Just by baptizing them? What commands does Jesus want everyone to obey? How are they supposed to go about doing this?

The other problem is that this is the allegedly dead and risen Jesus, not the living man who acted and spoke as a teacher, not as an authority imposing a new religion. So are these really quotes that anyone but his closest followers heard? Or is this the mythologizing of the man to justify this new form of religion?

the Great Commission is very general and vague. What does it mean? How do you make all nations into disciples? Just by baptizing them? What commands does Jesus want everyone to obey? How are they supposed to go about doing this?

The other problem is that this is the allegedly dead and risen Jesus, not the living man who acted and spoke as a teacher, not as an authority imposing a new religion. So are these really quotes that anyone but his closest followers heard? Or is this the mythologizing of the man to justify this new form of religion?

I see. You're one of those people who can never admit they are wrong.

Why do you think that I don't understand this? In #117 I said to you: "I intended only to clarify the distinction--yes, there are Evangelicals, but also yes, every Christian is called to evangelize. This can be as simple as letting one's little light so shine before men that may glorify their Father in heaven." https://debatepolitics.com/threads/...hurches-respond.454707/page-5#post-1074313827

Are you actually saying that "praying" and "evangelizing" are synonyms?

It’s called situational Christianity. The Southern Baptist are going through a split. Some will now allow gays to be married in church and women preaching from the pulpit. Others will not
The Apostle Paul was a master at it.
1 Corinthians 9:18 - 23
18What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. 19For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you. [/quote]

Each denomination is it own final authority on Christianity. Every denomination has broken away from a larger church and founded their church as the real, the pure, the church Christ established. Did you ever hear of a Church saying we aren't the final arbiter of Christianity. No? Me either. They are all the true church.
The litmus test is the teachings of the Bible, particularly Jesus' teachings...

Jesus set the example for his followers...door to door and house to house...some 2,000 years later, this is still the most effective way...

"And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus." Acts 5:42

Did you know that, because of Jesus Christ's sacrifice, Christians are not under the command to keep the Sabbath?

"Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath. Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ." Colossians 2:16,17

Why doesn’t the Sabbath law apply to Christians?

The Sabbath law applied only to the people subject to the rest of the Law given through Moses. (Deuteronomy 5:2, 3; Ezekiel 20:10-12) God never required other people to observe a sabbath rest. In addition, even the Jews were “released from the Law” of Moses, including the Ten Commandments, by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. (Romans 7:6, 7; 10:4; Galatians 3:24, 25; Ephesians 2:15) Rather than adhere to the Law of Moses, Christians follow the superior law of love.—Romans 13:9, 10; Hebrews 8:13.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/502015133?q=sabbath&p=sen

Are you actually saying that "praying" and "evangelizing" are synonyms?
The cloistered nuns seem to think so. (from the NYT article about cloistered nuns)
"....... devoting their lives to the search for God through prayer. It is not a self-centered meditation. They believe that their union with God contributes to the salvation of all people, and that their prayers for humanity touch the lives of the suffering everywhere. "

Who are you an I to day otherwise?

The cloistered nuns seem to think so. (from the NYT article about cloistered nuns)
"....... devoting their lives to the search for God through prayer. It is not a self-centered meditation. They believe that their union with God contributes to the salvation of all people, and that their prayers for humanity touch the lives of the suffering everywhere. "

Your question is a strawman.

I believe that their prayers for humanity touch the lives of the suffering too, as do the prayers of all who earnestly pray. But this is not evangelization, which is the preaching/sharing of the Gospel.

By definition—they’re cloistered!—they are not going out into all the world to preach the Gospel to all creation. Cloistered sisters (and brothers) are not evangelizing; they’re praying.

Praying is speaking to God; evangelizing is telling others about Him.

They could be praying for those who haven't found Christ, to find Him!
They could be praying to God to reach out to non-believers, to be more patient with them......and help them find Him.

They could be praying for those who are out there, evangelizing - to be inspired and, be guided by God.
To speak the truth of the gospel.

They could be praying for those grieving....and hurting....for Christians who are wavering.

Christians, all have their roles in this.
To be supportive of those out on a mission - in different ways - is one way of being part of the whole.

They (not only cloistered nuns), like people who quietly knit sweaters at home for the church to give to the poor, the ones packing those Christmas shoe boxes, the ones cooking for those soup kitchens, etc.., are partners in the spreading of the Gospel,
even if they are not the ones physically out there evangelizing.

Last edited:
Your question is a strawman.

I believe that their prayers for humanity touch the lives of the suffering too, as do the prayers of all who earnestly pray. But this is not evangelization, which is the preaching/sharing of the Gospel.

By definition—they’re cloistered!—they are not going out into all the world to preach the Gospel to all creation. Cloistered sisters (and brothers) are not evangelizing; they’re praying.

Praying is speaking to God; evangelizing is telling others about Him.
Your quarrel is with the sisters not me. Why don't you inform the good sisters of your interpretation? I'm sure they will thank you. However, they, like you, believe they are saving souls.

Your quarrel is with the sisters not me. Why don't you inform the good sisters of your interpretation? I'm sure they will thank you. However, they, like you, believe they are saving souls.
I have no quarrel at all with the good sisters. I can't imagine why you would think that I would, but I also can't imagine the difference between evangelizing and praying after I've spelled it out for you. While they absolutely are praying for those who do, those who are cloistered are obviously not themselves evangelizing. They are not going forth into the world; they're staying right where they are and praying for us all.

Fun fact: Two of my great-aunts were nuns, as was my own grandmother, their eldest sister (who obviously left before professing her final vows). And I was graduated from a Sacred Heart school, so there really isn't much you need to teach me about them, whether they're contemplatives or not.

Back
Top Bottom