• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White Asparagus or Green Asparagus - what do you prefer?

White Asparagus or Green Asparagus - what do you prefer?

• White

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Green

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • I like both the same way

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • neither

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Though it is not connected to asparagus - I would like to give an impression of Carnival or Fasnacht in Basel, Switzerland :)

"Green Thursday," interesting, I had never heard it called that before. I had known it to be "Fat Thursday." Do they have different names for the same day in different parts of Germany?

I think we are dealing with two kinds of Thursdays here. :)
Fat Thursday or "Schmotziger Donnerstag" is the Thursday before Carnival. It also has a lot of other names.

Green Thursday or "Gründonnerstag" is Maundy Thursday, the Thursday before Easter.
And on this Green Thursday we have the custom to eat something green, like spinach or maybe green asparagus.
And so we are on topic again. :)

I think we are dealing with two kinds of Thursdays here. :)
Fat Thursday or "Schmotziger Donnerstag" is the Thursday before Carnival. It also has a lot of other names.

Green Thursday or "Gründonnerstag" is Maundy Thursday, the Thursday before Easter.
And on this Green Thursday we have the custom to eat something green, like spinach or maybe green asparagus.
And so we are on topic again. :)
Thanks for the clarification. I have heard of Maundy Thursday before.

We drink green beer (colored with food dye) on Saint Patrick's Day. Would that work for Gründonnerstag? :)

We drink green beer (colored with food dye) on Saint Patrick's Day. Would that work for Gründonnerstag? :)

Why not? :)
It may go down well with green asparagus. :)

Talking of green food - do you know this one? :)

Grüne Soße (“green sauce”) is a regional German variation on the global herb sauce theme that includes Italian salsa verde, French sauce verte and Argentinian chimichurri. A cold, dairy-based sauce made with seven specific, finely chopped fresh herbs, Grüne Soße can be found on the menu in traditional German restaurants in the federal state of Hesse (Hessen) and nearby parts of its neighbouring state of the Rheinland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz). It has, of course, its regional differences: in the north of Hesse, it’s a pale green colour for being made with a generous proportion of dairy products; eat it further south and it’s a notably darker shade.

Grüne Soße is most commonly enjoyed with halved boiled eggs and boiled new potatoes, but is also eaten with slices of tender boiled beef brisket (Tafelspitz or Ochsenbrust), fillets of white fish, or even a warm chunk of Fleischwurst. In Frankfurt’s traditional cider (Apfelwein) taverns, you can order Grüne Soße with breaded and fried slices of pork or veal, which you’ll find on the menu as a Frankfurter Schnitzel.

https://www.asausagehastwo.com/gruene-sosse/ (y)

I love green asparagus roasted in the oven, don't think I've ever had white asparagus, though...hubby hates it...he calls it bamboo shoots... :p

After enjoying some green asparagus on Green Thursday, we are now planning to have white asparagus on Easter Monday. :)

The Real Reason Germans Are So Crazy About Asparagus

White asparagus, often called the ‘royal vegetable’, ‘white gold’ or ‘edible ivory’, is the exact same vegetable as green asparagus. The difference in colour is due to the green one growing in the traditional way above ground (therefore exposed to light) and the white one maturing underground. No photosynthesis means no green colour.

And:

Many Germans prefer the white variety because it is thought to be more tender and less bitter. The stalks are generally thicker and longer than the green version, which has a tougher skin that makes it unpalatable. Thankfully, many German supermarkets have machines on site that do all the peeling for you.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/g...efer the white,skin that makes it unpalatable.

While it is certainly true that chlorophyll will add some bitterness, white asparagus is still the same asparagus as the green variety. Meaning that they are both hybrids but otherwise identical. The only difference is the green asparagus is grown with sunlight, and white asparagus is grown without sunlight.

If it is thicker and taller then it merely means they were allowed it to grow longer, green or white. All asparagus can have a woody outer skin if left to grow for too long. It takes asparagus five years to reach maturity (seven years if grown from seed).

For the grocery store bought hybrid asparagus (green or white) you want to only use the first 8 to 12 cm from the top and trim off the thicker outer skin.

Wild asparagus is much thinner and taller than the hybrids sold in grocery stores. Wild asparagus also does not have that woody outer skin, but that could also be that they are younger. It is impossible to know the exact age of wild asparagus.

Last edited:
Today we are going to have WHITE asparagus! :love: (y)

I usually only see white in cans. Green I can get fresh.
We can get fresh white asparagus every day here, when it is in season.
Straight from the asparagus fields in our region here.

:)

A warning: Soon the Asparagus Season may be over.
So enjoy the White Asparagus as long is it is still there.

We are nearing June 24th - the end of the Asparagus season.

The time for asparagus has come again!
And yesterday we einjoyed wonderful WHITE asparagus.
And had a Gewürztraminer with it!

• Total voters 13
2 x white
7 x green

I can't say for certain since I have only had green. But I do love the green.
Yes, it seems that in the US most people only know the green variety.
And the white variety is not treated well by the merchants - so it does not taste as good as it usually does here in Germany.

The time for asparagus has come again!
And yesterday we einjoyed wonderful WHITE asparagus.
And had a Gewürztraminer with it!
I'm afraid my foraging days have come to an end. I had another close encounter with a grizzly last month. I'm fine, the bear was not aggressive. Based upon the shape of its head, it appeared to be male, and he approached me while I was harvesting fiddle-head ferns. When I owned dogs they would naturally warn me of any approaching bear or moose. It was a good thing I noticed him approaching, so I could get out of his way. Next time I may not be as lucky.

Since my last heart-attack I decided not to keep dogs any longer. I don't want to die while leaving a dog in the house. It could be weeks before anyone finds me. I put my last dog down in 2018. Which also meant I could no longer go bird hunting. However, I continued foraging in the Spring and harvesting berries and mushrooms in the Fall. The close encounter this year made me realize that foraging alone is not safe, even when armed for bear.

I'm afraid my foraging days have come to an end. I had another close encounter with a grizzly last month. I'm fine, the bear was not aggressive. Based upon the shape of its head, it appeared to be male, and he approached me while I was harvesting fiddle-head ferns. When I owned dogs they would naturally warn me of any approaching bear or moose. It was a good thing I noticed him approaching, so I could get out of his way. Next time I may not be as lucky.

Since my last heart-attack I decided not to keep dogs any longer. I don't want to die while leaving a dog in the house. It could be weeks before anyone finds me. I put my last dog down in 2018. Which also meant I could no longer go bird hunting. However, I continued foraging in the Spring and harvesting berries and mushrooms in the Fall. The close encounter this year made me realize that foraging alone is not safe, even when armed for bear.
😲😲😲😲😲
Goodness! That gave me chills just reading it! Thank GOD you are safe. So sorry your foraging days are over! That makes me me very sad for you! I can relate about the not having any more dogs. When my wife passed a little over a year ago I said no pets to myself in part because I am getting on in age. But my daughters live close by and check on me a lot so when they found me a companion at a local shelter I gave in. I must admit this house had gotten very empty feeling.

😲😲😲😲😲
Goodness! That gave me chills just reading it! Thank GOD you are safe. So sorry your foraging days are over! That makes me me very sad for you! I can relate about the not having any more dogs. When my wife passed a little over a year ago I said no pets to myself in part because I am getting on in age. But my daughters live close by and check on me a lot so when they found me a companion at a local shelter I gave in. I must admit this house had gotten very empty feeling.
I just turned 68 last month, and it has been four years since I put down my last dog. I'm still having to adjust my lifestyle to accommodate for that change. I hadn't realized just how much my activities revolved around them. Spring and Fall are the best times to forage, but they are also the worst time to encounter bears. I can't forage and properly observe my surroundings by myself. I've even had to limit my fishing trips to only those locations where there are people, just in case. Getting old sucks.

As I wrote above, we had green asparagus yesterday.
Now I regard green asparagus as a poor substitute for white asparagus.

But it was fitting for the day, as yesterday was Maundy Thursday, Gründonnerstag (Green Thursday) in German.
And it is a tradition to eat something green on that day - like spinach and eggs etc.
Maundy Thursday, the holiday that can't make up its mind which day it is.

Back
Top Bottom