• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

While The World Watches Ukraine, In Yemen The Death Toll Keeps Rising

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
“ The United Nations’ goal was to raise more than $4.2 billion for the people of war-torn Yemen by March 15. But when that deadline rolled around, just $1.3 billion had come in. “I am deeply disappointed,” said Jan Egeland, the secretary general of the Norwegian Refugee Council. “The people of Yemen need the same level of support and solidarity that we’ve seen for the people of Ukraine. The crisis in Europe will dramatically impact Yemenis’ access to food and fuel, making an already dire situation even worse.” With Yemen importing more than 35% of its wheat from Russia and Ukraine, disruption to wheat supplies will cause soaring increases in the price of food.”

“The ghastly blockade and bombardment of Yemen, led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, is now entering its eighth year. Last fall, the United Nations estimated that the Yemen death toll would top 377,000 people by the end of 2021. The United States continues to supply spare parts for Saudi/UAE coalition war planes, along with maintenance and a steady flow of armaments. Without this support, the Saudis couldn’t continue their murderous aerial attacks. Yet, tragically, instead of condemning atrocities committed by the Saudi/UAE invasion, bombing and blockade of Yemen, the United States is cozying up to these countries’ leaders. As sanctions against Russia disrupt global oil sales, the United States is entering talks to become increasingly reliant on Saudi and UAE oil production. And Saudi Arabia and the UAE don’t want to increase their oil production without a U.S. agreement to help them increase their attacks against Yemen.”

Human-rights groups have decried the Saudi/UAE-led coalition for bombing roadways, fisheries, sewage and sanitation facilities, weddings, funerals and even a children’s school bus. In a recent attack, the Saudis killed 60 African migrants held in a detention center in Saada.”

It’s interesting— and by interesting I mean depressing— how easily people ignore what’s going on in Yemen right now. The Saudis and Emiratis’ air campaign is every bit as brutal as the Russian one in Ukraine— more so, in many ways, because it’s been going on for longer— and yet there’s nowhere near comparable outrage or interest from Americans, despite the fact that the campaign is being carried out with American made technology and support from the US military itself.

Unlike in Ukraine, in Yemen the US can actually take concrete steps to hamper the ability of the perpetrators to commit such war crimes, or potentially wrangle get them to the peace table itself. Doing so, however, would require the American people to actually notice that the war is going on in the first place. Somehow, given the increasing levels of hysteria over Putin’s dictatorship, I sadly doubt it will happen any time soon.

Add onto that the famine in Afghanistan (Biden caused) and Tigray that receive almost no media coverage

People have a hard time choosing between cultures that have been making war on each other since biblical times. When haven't the Saudis and Yemenis not been at war?

People have a hard time choosing between cultures that have been making war on each other since biblical times. When haven't the Saudis and Yemenis not been at war?

.....most of their history, actually.

Myanmar, too.

Interesting now that Russia has attacked Ukraine that you show concern about Yemen.

Leftists have been using the bullhorn on Yemen for years now. Conservatives and mainstream liberals... not so much.

Simply put, we don't feel connection to those cultures. It's sad but not surprising or even abnormal. It is what it is. People concern themselves with people they perceive having a shared connection with.

Myanmar, too.

At least the administration finally got around to acknowledging the fact that genocide has been going on there. Much later than they should have, but it’s better than nothing I suppose.

I've gotta ask, and if you don't want to say, that's fine: Did boot camp cause much of this change in your commentary?

.....most of their history, actually.

I thought it was a Sunni vs Shia thing. That's been casus belli since the Prophet died and didn't leave a proper will way back when.

I've gotta ask, and if you don't want to say, that's fine: Did boot camp cause much of this change in your commentary?

Basically, yeah. I had a lot of time to think, and a lot of time to talk to other trainees and to the drill sergeants and stuff. The military does a really good job of helping you examine things more closely and assess your own values.

I thought it was a Sunni vs Shia thing. That's been casus belli since the Prophet died way back when.

The Houthis are seen as “Iranian puppets” by the Saudis and co(while they do get some support, it’s far less than what Riyadh would have one think) and that’s the “justification” for the coalition intervention. Of course, in reality the Houthis do their own thing a lot.

It has much more to do with the Saudi-Iranian Cold War than it does religion per se.

Basically, yeah. I had a lot of time to think, and a lot of time to talk to other trainees and to the drill sergeants and stuff. The military does a really good job of helping you examine things more closely and assess your own values.

Wow. I never would've expected these 'more humanitarian' results. Nor a lot of talking in boot camp.

Just no reading on this. This appears to be conflict that morphed into civil war that's been going on for many years.
Anti-western, Iranian, North Korea, Libya, and Hezbollah
vs Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain, Egypt, Sudan, and the UAE

We have assisted on the side of our Saudi allies, in opposition to Iran, AQAP, etc.
In 2021 Joe Biden ceased U.S. involvement on Saudi Arabia's behalf.

Looks like a different situation... a civil war, and the fighting spilled over into neighboring nations, who then got involved and involved their allies to some extent.

It is a tragedy that's going on their, but who are you suggesting we back? Iranian-backed Houthis?

Just no reading on this. This appears to be conflict that morphed into civil war that's been going on for many years.
Anti-western, Iranian, North Korea, Libya, and Hezbollah
vs Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain, Egypt, Sudan, and the UAE

We have assisted on the side of our Saudi allies, in opposition to Iran, AQAP, etc.
In 2021 Joe Biden ceased U.S. involvement on Saudi Arabia's behalf.

Looks like a different situation... a civil war, and the fighting spilled over into neighboring nations, who then got involved and involved their allies to some extent.

It is a tragedy that's going on their, but who are you suggesting we back? Iranian-backed Houthis?

The Saudis and their coalition partners have been committing war crimes by the boatload every since the war started. Tens of thousands of civilians have died in their bombing campaigns; tens of thousands more in the ongoing famine.

As for the Biden administration...

“ The reason for the lack of progress is that although Biden committed to a more diplomatic approach, in practice the U.S. remains a staunch patron of Saudi Arabia. Mohammed bin Salman has not been treated as a pariah as Biden promised. Secretary of State Antony Blinken applauded the Saudis’ March cease-fire proposal and condemned the Houthis for rejecting it, ignoring that the Houthis would have had to accept a total surrender of their weapons and territory. They have no reason to agree to such terms, especially because they feel (rightly) they are winning. The U.S. denounces Houthi rockets, yet is often silent about Saudi air raids, which are routinely more deadly. This likely reflects U.S. discomfort with the support the Houthis receive from Iran. Yet the Houthis are not Iranian puppets and their attempts to control Yemen will continue even if Iran withdraws what assistance they do provide.”

“ The United Nations’ goal was to raise more than $4.2 billion for the people of war-torn Yemen by March 15. But when that deadline rolled around, just $1.3 billion had come in. “I am deeply disappointed,” said Jan Egeland, the secretary general of the Norwegian Refugee Council. “The people of Yemen need the same level of support and solidarity that we’ve seen for the people of Ukraine. The crisis in Europe will dramatically impact Yemenis’ access to food and fuel, making an already dire situation even worse.” With Yemen importing more than 35% of its wheat from Russia and Ukraine, disruption to wheat supplies will cause soaring increases in the price of food.”

“The ghastly blockade and bombardment of Yemen, led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, is now entering its eighth year. Last fall, the United Nations estimated that the Yemen death toll would top 377,000 people by the end of 2021. The United States continues to supply spare parts for Saudi/UAE coalition war planes, along with maintenance and a steady flow of armaments. Without this support, the Saudis couldn’t continue their murderous aerial attacks. Yet, tragically, instead of condemning atrocities committed by the Saudi/UAE invasion, bombing and blockade of Yemen, the United States is cozying up to these countries’ leaders. As sanctions against Russia disrupt global oil sales, the United States is entering talks to become increasingly reliant on Saudi and UAE oil production. And Saudi Arabia and the UAE don’t want to increase their oil production without a U.S. agreement to help them increase their attacks against Yemen.”

Human-rights groups have decried the Saudi/UAE-led coalition for bombing roadways, fisheries, sewage and sanitation facilities, weddings, funerals and even a children’s school bus. In a recent attack, the Saudis killed 60 African migrants held in a detention center in Saada.”

It’s interesting— and by interesting I mean depressing— how easily people ignore what’s going on in Yemen right now. The Saudis and Emiratis’ air campaign is every bit as brutal as the Russian one in Ukraine— more so, in many ways, because it’s been going on for longer— and yet there’s nowhere near comparable outrage or interest from Americans, despite the fact that the campaign is being carried out with American made technology and support from the US military itself.

Unlike in Ukraine, in Yemen the US can actually take concrete steps to hamper the ability of the perpetrators to commit such war crimes, or potentially wrangle get them to the peace table itself. Doing so, however, would require the American people to actually notice that the war is going on in the first place. Somehow, given the increasing levels of hysteria over Putin’s dictatorship, I sadly doubt it will happen any time soon.

I'm very concerned about the Palestinian Holocaust in the Occupied Territories Tiger.
People are suffering and dying at the hands of fascists and it isnt right IMO.

The Saudis and their coalition partners have been committing war crimes by the boatload every since the war started. Tens of thousands of civilians have died in their bombing campaigns; tens of thousands more in the ongoing famine.

As for the Biden administration...

Again, who are you suggesting we back? Iranian-backed Houthis? Or that we should, unlike Trump who stayed in the fight, get completely out (as per the Brooking's article) which includes opposing our Saudi allies on this?

Simply put, we don't feel connection to those cultures. It's sad but not surprising or even abnormal. It is what it is. People concern themselves with people they perceive having a shared connection with.
That is a very elegant way to put it.

To be more blunt, this is a case of genuine "racism."

There is no hate or malice involved.

Just indifference.

It is, as the poster has aptly put it, "what it is."

Again, who are you suggesting we back? Iranian-backed Houthis? Or that we should, unlike Trump who stayed in the fight, get completely out (as per the Brooking's article) which includes opposing our Saudi allies on this?

We don’t need to “back” anyone.....just stop supporting a regime slaughtering thousands of civilians.

IMO it's more that those conflicts dont affect our national security & economy as much as the one in Ukraine.

Just like we need to use kid gloves with China on the Ukraine invasion, we still need to remain neutral with SA.

I dont care tho, re: SA, I do think we should get more involved in Yemen. From a peacekeeping role.

I think part of the problem is that Yemen has been a state-sponsor of terrorism for a long time and many people (not me) feel that Saudi Arabia's war crimes are justified.

Plus, Saudi Arabia is still considered a U.S. ally, as insane as that is.

I think part of the problem is that Yemen has been a state-sponsor of terrorism for a long time and many people (not me) feel that Saudi Arabia's war crimes are justified.

I'd say the US believes their cause for war is justified, but not war crimes. I'm not a fan of the blockade that's preventing humanitarian aid.

Saudi Arabia and OPEC still have control over the world price of oil. They would actually earn more selling half as much oil but for three times the price. Short of invading them, what can the US do?

I suppose one possibility is cutting the US and Canada off from the world oil market. It would be tough at first.

I'd say the US believes their cause for war is justified, but not war crimes. I'm not a fan of the blockade that's preventing humanitarian aid.

You are correct. Poor choice of words on my part.

There was a good article in Rolling Stone a few months ago about what's going on in Yemen. It's a total disaster for those people.

Back
Top Bottom