• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which wall, any wall, 'the wall'

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Can anyone give me an example of a wall that hasn't been breached or defeated in some way, shape or form?

Can anyone give me an example of a wall that hasn't been breached or defeated in some way, shape or form?

Can you tell me in any article, or interview, who said the wall would ever keep out 100% of the illegals?

The highest and most generous number I've ever seen for the efficacy of a proposed border wall was a 25% deterrence rate. That's an estimate of 1 in 4 people that would be unable to cross the border. This was a conservative, anti-immigration study that focused only on high population, heavily patrolled areas where barriers are most effective. Every other study I've read that takes the entire border into account has the deterrence efficiency of a wall in the single digits.

He was talking about the walls in Europe and stopping crime

Right?

Did he say the walls would stop 100% of the illegals....yes or no

US walls are inferior to European walls? :2razz:

From the article - ““There are now 77 major or significant Walls built around the world, with 45 countries planning or building Walls,” Trump wrote on Twitter Wednesday. “Over 800 miles of Walls have been built in Europe since only 2015. They have all been recognized as close to 100% successful. Stop the crime at our Southern Border!”

Hadrian's Wall - that was just abandoned.

From wikipedia:

The limites of Rome were never expected to stop tribes from migrating or armies from invading, and while a frontier protected by a palisade or stone wall would help curb cattle-raiders and the incursions of other small groups, the economic viability of constructing and keeping guarded a wall 72 miles (116 km) long along a sparsely populated border to stop small-scale raiding is dubious.

Sounds about right...

Back
Top Bottom