• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which State Would Make the Best Country?

Which State Would Make the Best Country?

• Total voters

aberrant85

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Four states have been former republics. Several have sporadic or persistent secession movements.

Which state, if it left the US, would make the most functional new country?

New York City, if they seceded and became a free port.

Four states have been former republics. Several have sporadic or persistent secession movements.

At this point in time any state to leave the US would hurt unless the separation were very amicable.

I would not get mad if Texas left. I dont think they realize they are a state now.

Texas. We gots da ecnomoies annd da educajtion to makes it.

But seriously, we got like what, a 1.3 trillion dollar GDP? That's bigger than most countries.

California, despite the nonsense in Sacramento. It's still less than the nonsense from Washington.

Bring back the Bear Flag Republic!

I would wager Texas and California have the various factors needed to be able to reliably survive a post secession period assuming the U.S. wasn't actively attempting to thwart it.

Texas without a doubt. The only state we have that could come cloes self sustaining itself.

Texas without a doubt. The only state we have that could come cloes self sustaining itself.

What do you mean "sustaining itself?"

I think either California or Texas would fair the best at independence, but I'd personally much rather live in California. The geographic diversity in CA is much more appealing to me.

I think that Hawaii would also make for a relatively self sustaining nation, not a heavy hitter like CA or TX, but probably pretty peaceful and interesting.

What do you mean "sustaining itself?"

Energy refining and re-refining. Better workforce, economy, low cost of living. Sustainable.

Lower 48, I would say Texas. Alaska and Hawaii would have no problem making it on their own and the people of both states probably would be better off.

I think either California or Texas would fair the best at independence, but I'd personally much rather live in California. The geographic diversity in CA is much more appealing to me.

I think that Hawaii would also make for a relatively self sustaining nation, not a heavy hitter like CA or TX, but probably pretty peaceful and interesting.

and anyone born there would not be qualified to be president of the US. The birthers would be vindicated!

In this economy Texas is the only state I believe could make it. I would like to think Cali could do it but with the way things are going out there it is doubtful at best.

California, Texas, and New York would be the most likely to succeed at seceding. All are coastal giving easy access to trade with other countries, and all have GDPs that would put them in the top 15 countries in the world (with California being in the top 10).

Energy refining and re-refining. Better workforce, economy, low cost of living. Sustainable.

Is Texas planning on breaking off and drifting into space in addition to leaving the country?

Most functional is a relative degree. California and Texas are obvious choices, but the problem would be that the U.S. would be active against it. Thus, I would say for all the egotism of Texas and California, those folks would be in a failed state.

NY maybe if we're talking about the state, plenty of resources upstate. CA, no way, they'd collapse without the water and electricity from other states. Not sustainable.

Oregon. Great beer, great food, great herbs. I even like the rain.

NY maybe if we're talking about the state, plenty of resources upstate. CA, no way, they'd collapse without the water and electricity from other states. Not sustainable.

We'd just trade our oranges and wine for water and electricity.

Back
Top Bottom