• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which seems more of a threat to you, cybersecurity or a wall on our southern border?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Which seems more of a threat to you, cybersecurity or a wall on our southern border?

With all the talk of border security are we ignoring our cyber security at our own peril?

With all the talk of border security are we ignoring our cyber security at our own peril?

Obviously cyber security.

Great point made!

No one will say wall so it pushs Trump's assertion in their faces.

Short answer: No. Longer answer: The FBI and the military have large cybersecurity branches.

Cybersecurity is more of a threat to an individual. I have never seen a "wall" be a threat to me. :lamo

They are both threats.

What makes you think we are ignoring cyber security?

Ironic post is ironic considering that most cyber security involves (in part) what is considered a "firewall".

It's pissing in the wind to care about this so long as we continue to appease China, due to our economic entanglements with them. How many are going to support divesting from China or hammering them with fines and sanctions until they stop hacking everything and stealing our intellectual property?

What makes you think we are ignoring cyber security?
Well, there is at least one person in our government who’s much more focused on (literally) ancient security measures.
A4DC1506-73FA-43B3-BB50-DDA503288411.jpg

It's pissing in the wind to care about this so long as we continue to appease China, due to our economic entanglements with them. How many are going to support divesting from China or hammering them with fines and sanctions until they stop hacking everything and stealing our intellectual property?

President trump will confront china when he is elected. First day in office he is going to name them currency manipulators.

A cyber attack is far scarier than some brown people who speak Spanish. Unfortunately putting all this time & effort into blocking migrants is time & effort we're not putting into protecting ourselves against cyber attacks.

President trump will confront china when he is elected. First day in office he is going to name them currency manipulators.

Errrr….wut? I mean, this happened but Trump has basically gotten no support outside of his admin going after China and once he goes away, in either 2020 or 2024, then it will be back to usual. I remember China hacking millions of very personal files from The Office of Personnel Management, for those who hold security clearances, and Obama didn't do jack about it.

So what are you saying in this comment? You support the harder stance Trump has taken here or no?

Errrr….wut? I mean, this happened but Trump has basically gotten no support outside of his admin going after China and once he goes away, in either 2020 or 2024, then it will be back to usual. I remember China hacking millions of very personal files from The Office of Personnel Management, for those who hold security clearances, and Obama didn't do jack about it.

So what are you saying in this comment? You support the harder stance Trump has taken here or no?

His stances are like his claims, meaningless. He claimed he's tough on russia and points to sanctions but a sanction imposed and not enforced is just words. Like how his visit to north korea solved all the nuclear threats from them. Good sound bite but a bite with no teeth.

His stances are like his claims, meaningless. He claimed he's tough on russia and points to sanctions but a sanction imposed and not enforced is just words. Like how his visit to north korea solved all the nuclear threats from them. Good sound bite but a bite with no teeth.

You're talking around the subject but not about the subject.

Ironic post is ironic considering that most cyber security involves (in part) what is considered a "firewall".

Kalstang thinks he just scored a point here. I'd just like to leave everybody with that thought.

You're talking around the subject but not about the subject.

Your original response did not answer the question asked and then you brought up economic entanglements, not me. I responded in kind.

I will put it as concisely as possible.

Cyber Security because duh holy ****ing **** duh, that's why. Some dudes working slave wage jobs that we benefit from are obviously far less of a threat than the ability to, say, shut off much of our power grid.

Kalstang thinks he just scored a point here. I'd just like to leave everybody with that thought.

Rejoinder: but Pelosi has a wall around her house! And so does.....OBAMA!

"[wink wink liberals are hypocrites nudge nudge know what I mean?]"

Last edited:
I will put it as concisely as possible.

Cyber Security because duh holy ****ing **** duh, that's why. Some dudes working slave wage jobs that we benefit from are obviously far less of a threat than the ability to, say, shut off much of our power grid.

Rejoinder: but Pelosi has a wall around her house! And so does.....OBAMA!

"[wink wink liberals are hypocrites nudge nudge know what I mean?]"

If only the trump supporters could take that impenetrable wall surrounding their brains and reconstruct it on the southern border, problem solved.

Your original response did not answer the question asked and then you brought up economic entanglements, not me. I responded in kind.

I'll be more clear, cyber security is a bigger threat. However, it's going to take a significant shift in policy to make that something that will ever be resolved.

According to the 2019 National Intelligence Strategy Report, issued today: https://www.dni.gov/index.php/newsr...item/1943-2019-national-intelligence-strategy

China now has the ability to disrupt U.S. natural gas pipelines at will, and the U.S. does not have the ability to stop them. Russia now has the ability to disrupt U.S. power grids at will, and the U.S. does not have the ability to stop them.

I'd say that's one hell of a big national security concern, and a hell of a lot worse than illegal immigration at the southern border.

Nah, I just thought it was ironic that's all. You might be into points. I'm not. ;)

That's not what irony means. That fact that both things have the word "wall" in them doesn't make it irony, unless your point was that one thing wasn't actually a wall at all, which then just makes your point confusing. You would have been more accurate if you had said, "Hey, isn't it interesting that both a southern border wall and a firewall both have the word 'wall' in them? Pretty funny, huh guys?"

That's not what irony means. That fact that both things have the word "wall" in them doesn't make it irony, unless your point was that one thing wasn't actually a wall at all, which then just makes your point confusing. You would have been more accurate if you had said, "Hey, isn't it interesting that both a southern border wall and a firewall both have the word 'wall' in them? Pretty funny, huh guys?"

It all depends on your POV. ;) It's all good if you don't see it. Irony is sometimes subjective. :)

It all depends on your POV. ;) It's all good if you don't see it. Irony is sometimes subjective. :)

Or maybe you're using it wrong (the answer is that you're using it wrong).

Back
Top Bottom