• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which "second string" actors do you like?

Yes, I think I read that somewhere. :) His series "Millennium" is certainly one of my favorites (well, at least the first two seasons), and I happened to watch a few B-Movies he played in on tv ... unfortunately, I don't remember which they were. Can you recommend movies he played a leading role in, even if they're bad?

I haven't seen him in anything in a while, but I liked him in No Escape, Man's Best Friend, Stone Cold (loved him in that one), Near Dark. Those are a few that are right off the top of my head. Of course he's great in the Alien movies, and there are others that I like him in.

Christopher Walken

Hmm Oscar for Deerhunter. Great lead in The Dogs of War ,

sort of hard to call him a second stringer

My favorite guy who probably meets this definition is Michael Ironside

Great in Starship Troopers

the original V

and as the #2 officer at Top Gun (jester)

FBI agent in the very good The Falcon and the Snowman

Hmm Oscar for Deerhunter. Great lead in The Dogs of War ,

sort of hard to call him a second stringer

the original V

Yeah, I suppose. I'm not sure I've seen him in a lead role though.

Among those listed are Academy Award winners. I don't think they can be considered "second-stringers."

the original V

Loved him in Starship Troopers.

Naked force has resolved more conflicts throughout history than any other factor. The contrary opinion, that violence doesn't solve anything, is wishful thinking at its worst; people who forget that always die.

Come on you apes. You want to live forever?

I only have one rule. Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?

He was also badass in the original "Total Recall"

Mark Harmon (Gibbs from NCIS)

Not only is he really a great guy, and plays a hero, he actually saved 2 kids from a car crash some years ago. He's a real life hero.

Among those listed are Academy Award winners. I don't think they can be considered "second-stringers."

You can win an Oscar for best supporting which is for a second-stringer.

I like that one guy who always plays with really tough dudes like, hmmm, you know...they dated all these girls that you always saw but never knew...there were a bunch of explosions...car chases....shootings...You know who I'm talking about. Right? *winks*

Last edited:
Earnest Borgnine. He was never a "leading man" but he was always a great "second stringer".

wasn't he mchale of mchale's navy?

I'm not really sure what is meant by 'second string' here, but most already named are good.

I would add Harry Dean Stanton, Warren Oates, Michael J. Pollard,Charles Durning, Dub Taylor, Ben Johnson, Laurence Fishburn, Raymond Burr, Vincent Price, Billy Bob Thornton. I kind of quit watching new movies in the 1990's, so I'm not up on the latest wave of actors, so yeah, most of my choices would be from older movie history.

Walken. Never saw the Deer Hunter or the Dogs of War....

You should watch it some time; it's a low budget movie, but Walken is excellent in it. The book it's based on is much better of course, they nearly always are, but the movie is a valiant effort at capturing the essence of the novel.

glen close, maureen stapleton, helen hunt
elliott gould, sam elliott, robert duvall

Back
Top Bottom