• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which President Was Rejected By Voters The Most In Their First Midterm?

Its amazing how you can just make up pure bs out of your own head and ignore what is actually said to you.

LOL. You are the expert at that. Nothing sinks into you but your own partisan prejudices. You always read what you want to read and understand what you want to understand. Posters here would be better off posting to a brick wall than debating you.

Considering President A's election came at a time of an incredibly poor economy (which occurred before his Presidency) when people were losing jobs, homes and retirement and President B got thumped during a time of a great economy (thanks, in part, to President A), and when considered the election map was incredibly favorable to President B's party, I would say President B was rejected at least as much as President A, if not more so.

You put a lot of work into a thread that clearly wasn't intended for it. Well done.

I think you also have to look at context. Obviously we're talking about Obama and Trump. When Obama took over, the economy was cratering, people were losing their jobs, their homes, their retirement. We were a war weary nation. After 8 years of Obama, our country was much less war weary, the economy was much stronger, we were near full employment and continuing on an upward trend.

Voters don't vote politicians, they vote themselves. Again, I know this thread is nothing more than useless partisanship, but it could foster a very real quality discussion, as you show. Throw in contextual factors and we could see much more than just simple partisanship and have a quality discussion about what America truly wants.

Anyways, good post.

The fact is, beyond the BS, in almost every midterm election the minority party gains seats. That's just the reality.

In order to answer the question I would have to have more context. Were both of this situations on a controlled playing field? Things like the economy, war, etc. should be factored in somehow.

Again, the fact is the in midterm elections, the minority party almost always gains seats. That's a historical fact.

I don't much care who lost more. My concern is for this divided country we live in where we feel the need to defend one side vs the other.
Great you got some seats in the Senate. Great we won the house. All great now how do we go forward from here.
One thing I wish for is the president and leader of our country to just stop for a minute and think of all the great things he could actually do with the unwavering support of his people if he just moderated a little bit.

Begging the question.

Which president was rejected by voters most in their first term? The one with the approval rating of 63% when he took office or the one with the approval rating of 42%?

Still believe polls, do you?

I don't much care who lost more. My concern is for this divided country we live in where we feel the need to defend one side vs the other.
Great you got some seats in the Senate. Great we won the house. All great now how do we go forward from here.
One thing I wish for is the president and leader of our country to just stop for a minute and think of all the great things he could actually do with the unwavering support of his people if he just moderated a little bit.

Right, what about the criminal liberal media that doesn't report the truth on his behalf? Maybe if they weren't so hostile he could have a better tone?

The fact is, beyond the BS, in almost every midterm election the minority party gains seats. That's just the reality.
100% agree. But that wasn't the topic of your thread, now was it?

Are you really lamenting the fact you got an honest answer to an obviously partisan thread?

Again, the fact is the in midterm elections, the minority party almost always gains seats. That's a historical fact.

Plus, the dims did have some moderate candidates that did their homework, so at least there is that. But none of that will matter if they don't get to work and instead follow their leader Piglosi.

100% agree. But that wasn't the topic of your thread, now was it?

Are you really lamenting the fact you got an honest answer to an obviously partisan thread?

It was a factual thread. But, thanks for affirming that the election had nothing to do with Trump and was just a normal midterm where the minority party picked up seats.

Plus, the dims did have some moderate candidates that did their homework, so at least there is that. But none of that will matter if they don't get to work and instead follow their leader Piglosi.

The Democrats will use their newfound power in the House to launch investigation after investigation after investigation of Trump, all of which will stop them from doing anything good for the country for the next two years and two years down the road when the investigations end, the 2020 elections will be here. This all falls under the slogan of, "be careful what you wish for" because if they are successful at getting rid of Trump they will be facing Pence, who is more far right than Trump is, not to mention a different Republican candidate in 2020 might very well do better than Trump and beat the Democrats. They just can't win for losing.

The Democrats will use their newfound power in the House to launch investigation after investigation after investigation of Trump, all of which will stop them from doing anything good for the country for the next two years and two years down the road when the investigations end, the 2020 elections will be here. This all falls under the slogan of, "be careful what you wish for" because if they are successful at getting rid of Trump they will be facing Pence, who is more far right than Trump is, not to mention a different Republican candidate in 2020 might very well do better than Trump and beat the Democrats. They just can't win for losing.

It will be a sore lesson for sure.

It was a factual thread. But, thanks for affirming that the election had nothing to do with Trump and was just a normal midterm where the minority party picked up seats.
:lol:

So...you're trying to derail your own thread? You asked which was more rejected, as is common in midterms. But once evidence was shown the argument was likely Trump, now you're trying to derail your own thread.

Trump supporters and their inability to stay with the truth never ceases to amaze me.

LOL. You are the expert at that. Nothing sinks into you but your own partisan prejudices. You always read what you want to read and understand what you want to understand. Posters here would be better off posting to a brick wall than debating you.

Should we then expect you to take your own advice?

:lol:

So...you're trying to derail your own thread? You asked which was more rejected, as is common in midterms. But once evidence was shown the argument was likely Trump, now you're trying to derail your own thread.

Trump supporters and their inability to stay with the truth never ceases to amaze me.

My thread was designed to show the left that the midterms were nothing more than the usual minority party gaining seats in the midterm and, in fact, if it was a referendum on Trump at all, then the results showed more of a midterm rejection of Obama than of Trump.

Should we then expect you to take your own advice?

Well, we already know you certainly do the same thing over and over and over and then you accuse others of what it is that YOU do.

Well, we already know you certainly do the same thing over and over and over and then you accuse others of what it is that YOU do.

Are you going to take your own advice?

Right, what about the criminal liberal media that doesn't report the truth on his behalf? Maybe if they weren't so hostile he could have a better tone?

Well that's my answer Trump and his people will continue as they have been for 3+ years.
What difference does the media make? I thought that was the reason Trump uses Twitter to speak directly to the people.
Now the leader of the country needs the media....for what exactly?

Yes, but conditions can be different. Every midterm does not occur under the same economic conditions.

I am saying a loss is a loss is a loss.

If you lose the Super Bowl by one point or ten or thirty - you still lost the Super Bowl.

You lose control of the House - you lose control of the House.

Republicans looking for solace on this are foolish.

It has been on the news today that the percentage difference between Dem and GOP votes this time was nearly exactly what it was when the Republicans took that massive amount of seats. But gerrymandering which has occurred allowed the same percentage to reap almost twice the seats then as the Dems took this week.

So one has to look deeper than just the size of the number of seats lost or won to fully explain what happened.

Don't forget all the retirements the Republicans had.

Yes, but conditions can be different. Every midterm does not occur under the same economic conditions.

Doesn't matter. In almost every midterm the minority party gains seats, no matter the economy and no matter many other variables.

Doesn't matter. In almost every midterm the minority party gains seats, no matter the economy and no matter many other variables.

We are comparing two numbers, and you want to compare them without any additional information. A large swing during a time of extremely low unemployment and constant praise for the success of the economy is notable. I'll agree it doesn't fit in with the narrative you are attempting to push, but that doesn't happen to be the primary factor in my decision making.

Don't forget all the retirements the Republicans had.

I'm not sure that's as big a factor. Republicans had more retirements, but most were in non-competitive seats. Democrats flipped 8 open seats this year, but Republicans flipped 13 open seats in 2010. In each case about 4/5 house seat gains were against incumbents.

We are comparing two numbers, and you want to compare them without any additional information. A large swing during a time of extremely low unemployment and constant praise for the success of the economy is notable. I'll agree it doesn't fit in with the narrative you are attempting to push, but that doesn't happen to be the primary factor in my decision making.

We're not comparing two numbers. We are comparing the numbers of MANY midterms, which all had the same results, the minority party gaining seats.

Back
Top Bottom