• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Which President of the last century was your favorite speaker

Which President of the last century was your favorite speaker

• William Jefferson Clinton

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lyndon B. Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John F. Kennedy

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Richard M. Nixon

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Ronald Reagan

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Theodore Roosevelt

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Harry S. Truman

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
SKILMATIC said:
No the best orator of all time was hitler.

Mabe William bradford as well. Ben franaklin was intrigued by this man.

Yes, but the topic was on U.S. presidents of the last century, furthermore, Churchill and FDR were way better than Hitler, Hitler was just good at swaying the masses using prejudice and racial rhetoric check out these next three quotes and tell me which one you think is the best:

"We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields, and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender!" [Winston Churchill. Speech about Dunkirk given in House of Commons, June 4, 1940.] Galvonized a nation for war.

And check out this FDR quote:

"In the future days, which we seek to make secure, we look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms. The first is freedom of speech and expression--everywhere in the world. The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way--everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want--which, translated into world terms, means economic understandings which will secure to every nation a healthy peacetime life for its inhabitants--everywhere in the world. The fourth is freedom from fear--which, translated into world terms, means a world-wide reduction of armaments to such a point and in such a thorough fashion that no nation will be in a position to commit an act of physical aggression gainst any neighbor--anywhere in the world."

And compare it to this bigoted quote by Hitler :

"In the course of my life I have very often been a prophet, and have usually been ridiculed for it. During the time of my struggle for power, it was in the first instance only the Jewish race that received my prophecies with laughter when I said that I would one day take over the leadership of the state and with it that of the whole nation and that I would then among other things settle the Jewish problem...but I think that for some time now they have been laughing on the other side of their face. Today I will once more be a prophet: if the international Jewish financiers in and outside Europe should succeed in plunging the nations once more into a world war, then the result will not be the Bolshevising of the earth and thus the victory of Jewry, but the annihilation of the Jewish race in Europe!".
Adolf Hitler - Speech to the Reichstag - 30th January 1939

Last edited:
SouthernDemocrat said:
Bush Jr, was not a president of the last century. Even if he were, by anyone's standards, he is a terrible public speaker.

As far as the rest go, you can only have 10 options on a poll on here. So I had to limit the choices to those presidents who are generally considered to have been good speakers. However, in hindsight, I do wish I would have included Woodrow Wilson.

Ya Bush no speak good English (only in his impromptu talks, however, his first state of the union was great as was his last speech on Katrina) and I didn't know there was a limit, however, Wilson should have been on there.

Oh, and I forgot to say this in my last post, this is to Skilmatic, Martin Luther King Jr. was, hands down, the best orator of all time.

Last edited:
SKILMATIC said:
No the best orator of all time was hitler.

Mabe William bradford as well. Ben franaklin was intrigued by this man.
Hitler and all of the songs he played in the backround of his speaches? Ben Franklin was a man with many gifts.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan.

"Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose." -- Ronald Reagan.

I chose Reagan...Truman a close second...

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician. And, to tell the truth, there is hardly any difference." -- Harry S. Truman.

"I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." -- Harry S. Truman

SouthernDemocrat said:
Bush Jr, was not a president of the last century. Even if he were, by anyone's standards, he is a terrible public speaker.

As far as the rest go, you can only have 10 options on a poll on here. So I had to limit the choices to those presidents who are generally considered to have been good speakers. However, in hindsight, I do wish I would have included Woodrow Wilson.

oh and I can't believe I forgot Eisenhower, his last speech was great.

I voted Reagan, but in hindsite it should have been Teddy.

His fireside chats redeveloped the country that we live in today. The majority of Americans didn't even know he was in a wheelchair! In that day and age, a disability (even polio) would have been frowned upon and he would have gotten less respect.

vauge said:

His fireside chats redeveloped the country that we live in today. The majority of Americans didn't even know he was in a wheelchair! In that day and age, a disability (even polio) would have been frowned upon and he would have gotten less respect.
Teddy?:confused:

Teddy aka theodore Roosevelt is where we derive the term for the stuffed animal teddy bear. Theo was also nicknamed teddy roosevelt. He was called teddy becasue he was pudgy and cuddly .

SKILMATIC said:
Teddy aka theodore Roosevelt is where we derive the term for the stuffed animal teddy bear. Theo was also nicknamed teddy roosevelt. He was called teddy becasue he was pudgy and cuddly .

Uhhhhh...No.

The refrence was to "Teddy" being in the wheelchair and having polio...

Which was FDR...:doh

vauge said:

O btw vauge the fireside chats were performed by FDR not Theodore roosevelt. Just to let you know. Again teddy was a nickname for theodore roosevelt not franklin.

JFK, by a country mile. And no one handled the press better than he could. He actually seemed to enjoy it.

cnredd said:
Uhhhhh...No.

The refrence was to "Teddy" being in the wheelchair and having polio...

Which was FDR...:doh

I know this. I was explainging to vauge

SKILMATIC said:
O btw vauge the fireside chats were performed by FDR not Theodore roosevelt. Just to let you know. Again teddy was a nickname for theodore roosevelt not franklin.

* vauge puts down crack pipe. He realizes it's time for bed. *

lol, thank you all for the correction. :mrgreen:

galenrox said:
HA! I just thought there was some error and I got to vote again in the smartest president poll, so I voted for Nixon again!
Hey, he was an entertaining guy. You don't see Kennedy having a reoccuring role on the show Futurama.

:lol: You must have a very freakish view of entertainment.

galenrox said:
Before you go pass that pipe this way there buddy!

Wel I guess that just about explains it. :2wave: :lol:

Timequake said:
JFK

"I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant, nor Jewish -- where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the pope, the National Council of Churches, or any other ecclesiastical source -- where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials -- and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all."

But who doesn't enjoy Bushisms??

"I'm conservative, but I'm not a nut about it."

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"

"Will the highways on the Internet become more few?"

"I believe the results of focusing our attention and energy on teaching children to read and having an education system that's responsive to the child and to the parents, as opposed to mired in a system that refuses to change, will make America what we want it to be — a more literate country and a hopefuller country."

and my favorite... and most profound:

"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history."

BAHAHA
Couldn't resist, could you. That's funny Sh it.

galenrox said:
HA! I just thought there was some error and I got to vote again in the smartest president poll, so I voted for Nixon again!
Hey, he was an entertaining guy. You don't see Kennedy having a reoccuring role on the show Futurama.

How could Kennedy have a talking head in futurama? . . . to soon? My favorite descriptions of Nixon are from H.S.T.s fear and loathing on the campaign trail '72, Nixon mark one! LMFAO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom