• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which party cuts spending?

Groucho

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Once again, the Democrats prove to be the party of responsible spending.

According to the conservative Washington Times, Obama has cut more from the budget than Bush did. EXCLUSIVE: Obama wins more spending cuts than Bush - Washington Times

This goes along with the fact that, for the past 390 years or so, the budget deficit increases under Republicans and decreases under Democrats.

Yet the story is always out there that the Republicans are the fiscally responsible party.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I know the deficit increased under Obama's first year, especially given the bailouts, much of which was passed under Bush -- it is indeed the one exception, but is explainable given the circumstances in the same way it was under the last depression)

Nothing unusual here. Dems usually cut defense spending and then substitute social programs to pick up the slack.

The answer to the question is neither. Neither really cuts spending. One thing Clinton was right about was when he said both will spend your money, so the question is what will you get for that expenditure.

The answer to the question is neither. Neither really cuts spending. One thing Clinton was right about was when he said both will spend your money, so the question is what will you get for that expenditure.

True enough. Both parties could stand to cut pork barrel spending.

My only point was that of the two, the one that cuts more overall is not the one that always claims to be the party of fiscal responsibility.

Seeing as how the debt has continued to grow under the leadership of both parties, neither party can claim to be angels of fiscal responsibility.

True enough. Both parties could stand to cut pork barrel spending.

My only point was that of the two, the one that cuts more overall is not the one that always claims to be the party of fiscal responsibility.

Which makes those claims silly to say the least. Both parties will spend.

Which makes those claims silly to say the least. Both parties will spend.

Agreed.

I wouldn't have even posted this if the GOP wasn't always calling itself the party of fiscal responsibility and claiming that the Democrats were the ones always spending taxpayer money. They BOTH do, after all.

Agreed.

I wouldn't have even posted this if the GOP wasn't always calling itself the party of fiscal responsibility and claiming that the Democrats were the ones always spending taxpayer money. They BOTH do, after all.

Guess as both parties do it, we can focus on that rather than criticize the party currently in power.

When people complain about spending, they're not complaining about ALL spending. They're complaining about the spending they don't like, y'know, like on the more useless things like education and infrastructure. Nation-building, CIA interventions, and giant bronze renderings of the ten commandments...paying for those things isn't spending.

Seeing as how the debt has continued to grow under the leadership of both parties, neither party can claim to be angels of fiscal responsibility.

Exactly. I am surprised that this question is even being asked.

If one cuts spending in the military then increases spending domestically that person is a Democrat

If one cuts domestic spending and increases military spending the person is a Republican

If one cuts spending in both areas, that person is Ron Paul.

Back
Top Bottom