• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which party best supports civil rights?

Which party best supports civil rights?

• Total voters

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There has been some talk of this on the forum so I decided to make a poll/thread about it.

Do you think the Democrat party properly supports civil rights?
Do you think the Republican party properly supports civil rights?
Neither?
Both?

Please explain your reasons.

There has been some talk of this on the forum so I decided to make a poll/thread about it.

Do you think the Democrat party properly supports civil rights?
Do you think the Republican party properly supports civil rights?
Neither?
Both?
Please explain your reasons.

I think there are plenty of laws in place to assure everyone their civil rights. So my answer comes more from "Whose agenda best fosters civil rights?" My answer would be Republicans. Democrats want to extend their reach and power by giving away the candy store. Republicans are more about maintaining an equal playing field.

The majority of republicans are against SSM, and LGBT rights. That's the biggest civil rights movement of today IMO. So I would say democrats.

The majority of republicans are against SSM, and LGBT rights. That's the biggest civil rights movement of today IMO. So I would say democrats.

Gov. Schwartzenegger is a staunch supporter of SSM. Is your statement a fact or opinion? I'm a Republican. I support those things. Misconception...or reality. I don't know.

The dem party is generally hostile to second amendment rights-rights clearly spelled out in the constitution and cherished by the founders

the dem party is more hostile to free speech than the GOP--"the fairness doctrine" is pushed by the dems. In almost every case you hear of where a college newspaper is trashed or a speaker is heckled, it involves dems/libs attacking GOP/Cons speakers or papers.

the dem party is more hostile to the right of association

the dem party is more hostile to propery rights

The dem party's support of affirmative discrimination is well documented

The worst charge one can bring against the GOP is supporting benign neglect to some "rights'

Gov. Schwartzenegger is a staunch supporter of SSM. Is your statement a fact or opinion? I'm a Republican. I support those things. Misconception...or reality. I don't know.

I said majority, not every single republican.
And I don't think it's a misconception, just look at some of the republican ads during the 04 election.

yet using the dem logic, since that only affects a very small percentage of the population its not a big deal

we hear that alot when dems justify the death confiscation tax or tax hikes on the top 2% of tax payers (a group that pays about half the FIT though)

yet using the dem logic, since that only affects a very small percentage of the population its not a big deal

we hear that alot when dems justify the death confiscation tax or tax hikes on the top 2% of tax payers (a group that pays about half the FIT though)

Strawman....yawn.

:rofl That's turn logic on it ear. :lamo

really? so what groups complain about the boy scouts not wanting gay scout leaders

what side of the aisle whines about private country clubs

it isn't the GOP

The dem party is generally hostile to second amendment rights-rights clearly spelled out in the constitution and cherished by the founders

the dem party is more hostile to free speech than the GOP--"the fairness doctrine" is pushed by the dems. In almost every case you hear of where a college newspaper is trashed or a speaker is heckled, it involves dems/libs attacking GOP/Cons speakers or papers.

the dem party is more hostile to the right of association

the dem party is more hostile to propery rights

The dem party's support of affirmative discrimination is well documented

The worst charge one can bring against the GOP is supporting benign neglect to some "rights'

The poll question was about CIVIL RIGHTS. Some of those things you listed are civil LIBERTIES, and others are, well, just policies you happen to support.

I think the Democratic Party is much more sympathetic to civil rights. Democrats tend to be (although not universally) much more supportive of equal rights for gays and fair treatment of immigrants, while some elements of the Republican Party seem to be hellbent on denying them any semblance of dignity.

Also, I think that Democrats tend to be much more opposed to ridiculously long prison sentences and anti-drug laws that serve no purpose...policies which disproportionately tend to harm minorities, intentionally or not. Republicans are more likely to see it as being "tough on crime."

The one area where Republicans have the advantage in terms of civil rights is in affirmative action. Although I lukewarmly support affirmative action, I agree with Republicans that it IS treating people differently based on the color of their skin, and I hope we won't need it anymore in a couple more decades.

The poll question was about CIVIL RIGHTS. Some of those things you listed are civil LIBERTIES, and others are, well, just policies you happen to support.

your definitions noted

not agreed upon

the right of association is a civil right

the right to be treated fairly race notwithstanding is a civil right

owning a weapon is both a civil right and an inalienable right

The majority of Dems are against civil rights for unborn children. That's also part of the civil rights movment of today.

The majority of Dems are against civil rights for unborn children. That's also part of the civil rights movment of today.

You look at it for civil rights for unborn children. We see it as civil rights for women.

What is this civil rights movement going to do? :confused:

You look at it for civil rights for unborn children. We see it as civil rights for women.

Yes, I know. Just as the Democrats saw slavery as civil rights for the slave owner. And, yes, Northern Democrats voted against early civil rights bills too.

that is one of the rare areas where two sides that oppose one another both can be completely right

Yes, I know. Just as the Democrats saw slavery as civil rights for the slave owner. And, yes, Northern Democrats voted against early civil rights bills too.

Really? Before you misuse history again, take a look at this Thread

That's like asking which party best supports the Rocky Mountains. Civil rights are an irreducible part of our system of government and have to be addressed, not supported.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom