• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which party best supports civil rights?

Which party best supports civil rights?

• Total voters
Really? Before you misuse history again, take a look at this Thread

Misusing history?

Northern Democrats voted against the early civil rights laws as well as Southern Democrats. Take for instance the 14th Amendment which guarantees the due process and equal protection of the law to all citizens. 100% of Democrats voted against it.

Andrew Johnson (Democratic President) famously vetoed every single Republican-controlled Congress civil rights legislation including granting blacks the right to vote.

Democrats unanimously voted no to the Confiscation Act which stated that slaves of the Confederacy "shall forever be free".

Stephen Douglass of Illinois (who was the chosen Democrat nominee who ran against Lincoln in 1858) said, "I do not regard the Negro as my equal, and positively deny that he is my brother, or any kin to me whatever”

October 10, 1871
Following warnings by Philadelphia Democrats against black voting, African-American Republican civil rights activist Octavius Catto murdered by Democratic Party operative; his military funeral was attended by thousands.

March 1, 1875
Civil Rights Act of 1875, guaranteeing access to public accommodations without regard to race, signed by Republican President U.S. Grant; passed with 92% Republican support over 100% Democrat opposition

February 8, 1894
Democrat Congress and Democrat President Grover Cleveland join to repeal Republicans’ Enforcement Act, which had enabled African-Americans to vote

Not to mention the Grand Wizard of the KKK was honored at the 1868 Democratic Convention.

Misusing history?

Northern Democrats voted against the early civil rights laws as well as Southern Democrats. Take for instance the 14th Amendment which guarantees the due process and equal protection of the law to all citizens. 100% of Democrats voted against it.

Andrew Johnson (Democratic President) famously vetoed every single Republican-controlled Congress civil rights legislation including granting blacks the right to vote.

Democrats unanimously voted no to the Confiscation Act which stated that slaves of the Confederacy "shall forever be free".

Stephen Douglass of Illinois (who was the chosen Democrat nominee who ran against Lincoln in 1858) said, "I do not regard the Negro as my equal, and positively deny that he is my brother, or any kin to me whatever”

October 10, 1871
Following warnings by Philadelphia Democrats against black voting, African-American Republican civil rights activist Octavius Catto murdered by Democratic Party operative; his military funeral was attended by thousands.

March 1, 1875
Civil Rights Act of 1875, guaranteeing access to public accommodations without regard to race, signed by Republican President U.S. Grant; passed with 92% Republican support over 100% Democrat opposition

February 8, 1894
Democrat Congress and Democrat President Grover Cleveland join to repeal Republicans’ Enforcement Act, which had enabled African-Americans to vote

Not to mention the Grand Wizard of the KKK was honored at the 1868 Democratic Convention.

Those examples are tangential, because they refer to epochs in American history when both the Democratic and Republican Parties possessed different ideological constitutions. They aren't good contemporary representations.

Misusing history?

October 10, 1871

March 1, 1875

February 8, 1894

Yep, your misusing history. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Your trying to use these facts as evidence that the republicans are the party that best supports civil rights today. But trying to use the Democratic party of back then to describe the Democratic party of today is misusing history. Same goes for the Republican party.

There has been some talk of this on the forum so I decided to make a poll/thread about it.

Do you think the Democrat party properly supports civil rights?
Do you think the Republican party properly supports civil rights?
Neither?
Both?

Please explain your reasons.

Everyone equally supports rights - civil and otherwise.

It's other things, benefits, extras, programs and so forth that are geared toward different race, gender and financial class that differ party to party.

Yep, your misusing history. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Your trying to use these facts as evidence that the republicans are the party that best supports civil rights today. But trying to use the Democratic party of back then to describe the Democratic party of today is misusing history. Same goes for the Republican party.

Huh? I'm doing nothing of the kind. You said I was misusing history by stating that Southern AND Northern Dems were against early civil rights for blacks. Now you're suddenly clairvoyant and know that I was trying to twist it to say Republicans are the best party for civil rights? Huh? They were back THEN. Republicans and Democrats have been supportive of civil rights (for most) for decades now. I say they're both the same.

I hate it when people try to put words in my mouth.

Really? Before you misuse history again, take a look at this Thread

Wrong. Mellie isn't talking about the CRM of the NINETEEN 60s...... but those events, you know, back in the EIGHTEEN 60s....

The Libertarians are the best party for civil rights as they promote equal rights for all.

Huh? I'm doing nothing of the kind. You said I was misusing history by stating that Southern AND Northern Dems were against early civil rights for blacks. Now you're suddenly clairvoyant and know that I was trying to twist it to say Republicans are the best party for civil rights? Huh? They were back THEN. Republicans and Democrats have been supportive of civil rights (for most) for decades now. I say they're both the same.

I hate it when people try to put words in my mouth.

Maybe I inferred too much. I'm sorry for that. But I still say that using past political figures, and their parties to try and define todays parties is not using history correctly. That goes for both parties.

The Libertarians are the best party for civil rights as they promote equal rights for all.

Although, as a party, they're okay with abortion. That's my only problem with them.

Maybe I inferred too much. I'm sorry for that. But I still say that using past political figures, and their parties to try and define todays parties is not using history correctly. That goes for both parties.

I was talking about historical fact, i.e. slavery. Nothing to do with today.

Democrats support civil rights for all people through Government intervention and the worst of them will try to extend that intervention to retribution.

Republicans support civil rights for people they believe morally acceptable and will only use the Government to deny rights.

neither; the Libertarian Party is the better supporter of Civil Rights.

with two notable exceptions; if you are unborn they basically say screw you, and the right to self-government, they sometimes shy from.

I said majority, not every single republican.
And I don't think it's a misconception, just look at some of the republican ads during the 04 election.

GASP! Not every liberal or democrat either. I believe if you go to the tale of the tape, some 70% of hispanics and blacks in California voted FOR democrats and yet AGAINST gay marriage. Yes...shocking...I know. Blows them stereotypes straight to hell.

The Libertarian Party, of course.

Then the Republican Party.

Clearly not the Democrats, since they do not support the right of the individual to own property, and that's one of the most basic of all civil rights.

I was going to say the Democrats, but then I remembered that they kept open Guantanamo Bay and I changed my mind. There has also been little headway to overturn the Patriot Act and the domestic wiretapping laws, both of which Obama said on the campaign trail were serious issues for him.

Honestly can't say that either the GOP or the Dems support civil rights. They respect some yet refuse others. I guess the net effect is neutrality. In the grand scope, both are statist parties that expand Federal powers, they just do it through different means. They have their respective followers eating out of the palm of their hand on the hotbutton issues, and it's those that let them create more laws.

Some regulation is needed. Some deregulation is needed. It all depends where. I wish people would realize that.

I think that America's done a great job with civil rights, comparatively. That last word is very, very important. And I also think that you need both parties to enforce civil rights. Republicans prevent the government from infringing on our rights and Democrats utilize the government to uphold our rights. Well... ideally. There have been slip ups, but that's the idea, and it's a good one.

Right now, Republicans are doing a lousy job of supporting civil rights. So, right now, I'd say Democrats. But the very act of making civil rights a partisan issue is a major part of why Americans are so angry at each other right now. It's very stupid.

Last edited:
Neither, since both have grown the Police State under the false banner of security, both pilfer our wallets granted for different reasons, both support Some Animals are More Equal than Other Animals, the Dems only inch ahead because of their record on the second amendment.

I think there are plenty of laws in place to assure everyone their civil rights. So my answer comes more from "Whose agenda best fosters civil rights?" My answer would be Republicans. Democrats want to extend their reach and power by giving away the candy store. Republicans are more about maintaining an equal playing field.

those are talking points, not facts. how does a kid from harlem with a crack whore mother get an equal playing field with a senator's son?

Yes, I know. Just as the Democrats saw slavery as civil rights for the slave owner. And, yes, Northern Democrats voted against early civil rights bills too.

so what, mellie? let's talk about now.

those are talking points, not facts. how does a kid from harlem with a crack whore mother get an equal playing field with a senator's son?

I dont think 'maintaining' or even creating an equal playing field is a reasonable goal. Those two examples arent supposed to become suddenly even. But what CAN happen is that crack ho mama can get clean...take some personal responsible, and hold out for her children to achieve just a little bit more. And that child doesnt need a bently and a mansion (which BTW MOST of us dont get). That child needs the opportunity to get an education and do just a little better for themselves, then provide a better opportunity for THEIR children.

MOST of us were born into less than favorable situations.

When it comes to which political party provides greater opportunity for advancement for ALL people, to me it comes down to perspective. My own belief is that people need the occasional hand UP, but not hand outs. People thrive when provided opportunity. They fail when they are taken care of their whole lives.

I know...I know...its just a movie...but there is a line the the movie The 300 where Xerxes tells Ephialtes "Leonidas is cruel, he expects you to stand. I demand only that you kneel".

I dont think 'maintaining' or even creating an equal playing field is a reasonable goal. Those two examples arent supposed to become suddenly even. But what CAN happen is that crack ho mama can get clean...take some personal responsible, and hold out for her children to achieve just a little bit more. And that child doesnt need a bently and a mansion (which BTW MOST of us dont get). That child needs the opportunity to get an education and do just a little better for themselves, then provide a better opportunity for THEIR children.

MOST of us were born into less than favorable situations.

When it comes to which political party provides greater opportunity for advancement for ALL people, to me it comes down to perspective. My own belief is that people need the occasional hand UP, but not hand outs. People thrive when provided opportunity. They fail when they are taken care of their whole lives.

I know...I know...its just a movie...but there is a line the the movie The 300 where Xerxes tells Ephialtes "Leonidas is cruel, he expects you to stand. I demand only that you kneel".
Yeah, many of us were born into less than favorable situations, however those of us who were born white didn't suffer the years of discrimination as the black people did.

When were white people lynched other than those who were because the helped the black folks?

Yeah, many of us were born into less than favorable situations, however those of us who were born white didn't suffer the years of discrimination as the black people did.

When were white people lynched other than those who were because the helped the black folks?

White Republicans were lynched after the Civil War just for being Republican and voting Republican.

Neither party does. They just say what people want to hear in order to get elected.

Neither party protects our rights. Both will willingly rape us to achieve their own agenda.

Back
Top Bottom