• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which major politic party has greater degree of corrupt tendencies in its culture?

Which political party is most couupt in its cultural tendencies?

• The Democrats

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • The Republicans

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Both are about equally corrupt

Votes: 32 64.0%

• Total voters

Smeagol

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
With the recent focus on data mining of Americans, many are making comparisons to the Nixon era Watergate scandal. In fact, it seems any political scandal involving the White House typically gets the suffix "-gate" added to the name often by whichever political party is the opposition to the White House at the time in order to associate the scandal with Watergate. I'm listening to a talk radio show right now chronicling the details of Watergate and its making me think, which of the two major parties has a greater level of corrupt tendencies in its culture, DNA and history?

I hope this doesn't come across as implying either party overwhelmed by a lack of integrity but simply on the thankfully rare instances when corrupt behavior and tendencies do occur, is it more likely to be democrat or Republican.

WVWI - Radio One 1000 AM Charlotte Amalie, VI - Listen Online

Last edited:
Re: Which major politic party has greater degree of corrupt tendencies in its cultur

Both have proven they are corrupt, hence our debt. People can point fingers all they like, but both parties have failed America and have shown most only care about just getting re-elected instead of doing what's right.

Re: Which major politic party has greater degree of corrupt tendencies in its cultur

By philosophy, if not in actual practice, Democrats are much more prone to larger government, which, in and of itself, is corruption; as well as being more prone to additional secondary corruptions.

Corruption in America tends to be more regional in it's origins than party dependent. For example the Louisiana delegation to Congress has historically been one of the more corrupt in the Union (sorry Louisianans!) regardless of political affiliation. Likewise you tend to get a high proportion of corrupt officials from very partisan districts where accountability shrinks (think Chicago, Alaska, etc). Real corruption stems from political cultures and environment more than ideology barring of course your truly extreme political brands.

Not sure what is meant here by "corrupt". Since Watergate is mentioned and correlation with the current scandals is implied, I presume we are talking about the corruption/abuse of executive power. Which is a perfectly bipartisan failing. One can object that the more libertarian Republicans attempt to reduce this corruption by shrinking the field of executive power, but they were not numerous or influential enough to make a lot of difference, not in the recent decades.

If "corruption" means the old good graft, the Dems are ahead, but that has more to do with political demographics than any ideological differences. Democratic pols are more likely to lord over vulnerable communities, to be in touch with less savory elements of the unions, etc.

Whichever one the person posting is not a supporter of.

I think the very nature of being a politician is synonomous with corruption. Neither party holds a monopoly on it. There have been politicians outed from both sides.

I do not necessarily think the GOP politicians are any more corrupt than their democrat counter-parts. I do think, however, the democrats are better at keeping it hidden. I mean, a day/week doesn't seem to go by without some GOP politician getting their tit in a wringer.

Not sure what is meant here by "corrupt". Since Watergate is mentioned and correlation with the current scandals is implied, I presume we are talking about the corruption/abuse of executive power. Which is a perfectly bipartisan failing. One can object that the more libertarian Republicans attempt to reduce this corruption by shrinking the field of executive power, but they were not numerous or influential enough to make a lot of difference, not in the recent decades.

If "corruption" means the old good graft, the Dems are ahead, but that has more to do with political demographics than any ideological differences. Democratic pols are more likely to lord over vulnerable communities, to be in touch with less savory elements of the unions, etc.

I would define it as something that could get an elected official impeached or sent to jail at worse or is unethical at the least.

Interesting I've noticed a few replies that seem to define corruption as non-compliance with their political ideology.

The Democrats. Republicans are just slower about getting there.

:lamo

To be perfectly honest, my experiences on discussion boards has given me much insight into human perceptions of wrong and right and our ability as people to remain objective to the extent that I have completely lost faith human beings' ability to impartially serve on a jury. With rare exceptions I don't think very many many people are capable of objectively looking at a situation and rendering a fair opinion without it being skewed by their existing biases, be they political, cultural, whatever.

With the recent focus on data mining of Americans, many are making comparisons to the Nixon era Watergate scandal. In fact, it seems any political scandal involving the White House typically gets the suffix "-gate" added to the name often by whichever political party is the opposition to the White House at the time in order to associate the scandal with Watergate. I'm listening to a talk radio show right now chronicling the details of Watergate and its making me think, which of the two major parties has a greater level of corrupt tendencies in its culture, DNA and history?

I hope this doesn't come across as implying either party overwhelmed by a lack of integrity but simply on the thankfully rare instances when corrupt behavior and tendencies do occur, is it more likely to be democrat or Republican.

Both sides are big government, big brother, corporate cronies.

I would define it as something that could get an elected official impeached or sent to jail at worse or is unethical at the least.

Well, if we go by prison terms, in the recent years in the US Congress we had Frank Balance, Jim Traficant, William (Cold Cash) Jefferson on the Democratic side - with Jesse Jackson Jr. likely to join them shortly; and there was one Republican - Duke Cunningham.

But I am pretty sure that if you factor in those demographics, and the length of tenures, and take a statistical sample of appropriate size, and all that, you will get a nice, flat 50:50.

Interesting I've noticed a few replies that seem to define corruption as non-compliance with their political ideology.

Well, I used to think that Democrats are more prone to corruption because many of them believe it is all fixed by the evil "business interests" anyway, and their mission is to re-rig the system in favor of the "underprivileged". And hey, if a little something settles in your pocket in the process - that's just a bonus for the extra effort.

But this just doesn't seem to match the overall reality of American politics. On both sides, there are idealists, there are pragmatists who would go only that far, and there are crooks.

Last edited:

They are both corrupt and I hate them both.

Honestly I'd have to say corruption is a result of unchecked power. Go to any state where the legislature is completely controlled by one party or another for a long period of time and there is corruption.

I guess...power corrupts and that's bi-partisan.

The only answer nobody can argue against:

The other one.

Both, I think if we limited senators to two terms just like the President the power to lobby hence own congressmen would go away. I also think if our legislators had to submit to audits of their financial decisions much of the shadiness would stop.

While both parties are rife with tendencies towards corruption, the dems have the greater.

That is because they represent the left and while the left may have good intentions, their methods of meeting those intentions is almost always based upon corrupt ideals. Leftism is by it's very nature a corruption of human nature and corrupting of human societies.

Politicians are politicians, it doesn't really matter on which side of the aisle you reside as far as personal integrity goes.

Republicans.

The Democrat Party makes feeble attempts to have convictions, and every now and again stands up for them.

Republicans barely even pretend the same.

All political parties are corrupt.

Corruption and politics go hand in hand.

Leftism is by it's very nature a corruption of human nature and corrupting of human societies.

What a blatant and biased pile of horse feces. Good lord man....could you be any more blinded by ideological ignorance?

What a blatant and biased pile of horse feces. Good lord man....could you be any more blinded by ideological ignorance?

Unlikely. Even I wouldn't say conservative tendencies are intrinsically evil, or even intrinsically anti-productive.

They have, however, become monstrous in the post-80s United States.

Last edited:

Unlikely. Even I wouldn't say conservative tendencies are intrinsically evil, or even intrinsically anti-productive.

They have, however, become monstrous in the post-80s United States.

"Even I wouldn't say they are bad. I'm just saying, they're bad. That's all."

"Even I wouldn't say they are bad. I'm just saying, they're bad. That's all."

There are a lot of civilizations that looked to the behaviors of their ancestors -- behaviors that had lapsed in the present day -- and discerned some that, if properly adapted (not just copied, but adapted) to current problems could yield effective results.

While it was politically radical because it displaced the historical and legal authority of the Roman Senate and replaced it with that of a single despot, the Augustan Reforms were in other ways socially and culturally conservative. They ended centuries of military and economic turmoil and ushered an age of peace and prosperity and growth that persisted so long, that, rather than only being recognized in retrospect, it acquired a name in its own time: Pax Romana (Roman Peace). Even generations of bad emperors and mis-administration could not deliver the death blow to this period of history, characterized by robust middle classes, public safety, population growth, technological advancement (it is conceivable that Romans might have landed on the moon a thousand years ago had their empire remained stable) and all the hallmarks of a successful society.

Those choices were appropriate at that time, but they were authored and overseen by a genius who (1) already had absolute power and (2) needed nothing other than these policies to succeed to keep it that way.

For the GOP of the post 80s and the special interests that support them, the situation is entirely different. They are rather more like the Roman Senators who got replaced by Augustus, spurred on by impossible ambitions and checkmated into destructive behaviors. Like the senators, they can't go forward, backward, or sideways. They can only get hemmed in where they stand until they suffocate.

In the meanwhile, they harm everyone.

Last edited:

I think the very nature of being a politician is synonomous with corruption. Neither party holds a monopoly on it. There have been politicians outed from both sides.

I do not necessarily think the GOP politicians are any more corrupt than their democrat counter-parts. I do think, however, the democrats are better at keeping it hidden. I mean, a day/week doesn't seem to go by without some GOP politician getting their tit in a wringer.

I quite agree. At any given time or limited snap shot one may seem more at that moment, but over the Long haul, there's no real difference. Power breeds corruption.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom