• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which is the Worst of the Seven Deadly Sins?

Which is the Worst of the Seven Deadly Sins?

• Total voters
I chose "greed" since "the love of money is the root of all evil".

Pride. Of course, having pride in one's work, accomplishments, hobbies, children's achievements, etc. - those are healthy forms of pride.

However, pride has it's other side; when pride reflects a person being self-centered without concern for others; when pride is driven by the sense that "I'm all that and you're not", and by the feeling that "the world should cater to me and only me"; the boastful and pompous soul who is actually a very empty person will very easily be caught up in the deadly sins listed.

Gluttony - the prideful person believes that it's all for him; Barbtx gave a good example about the pizza being consumed without considering others who might like a slice.

Lust - oh heck, even Jimmy Carter lusted in his heart. But lusting and letting it lead to action - pride again. When one does not considered the consequences to, let's say, having an affair, that's pride. "As long as I'm getting what I want, the hell with the feelings of the person I'm cheating on".

Greed - again, the "more for me the better"; the need to have it all because it feeds an ego that really can't be satisfied.

Sloth - "I'm too good to do that job, task, type of work, etc." The "I deserve to be taken care of because I'm either a victim of society or because my *** doesn't stink". Or both.

Wrath: Why do people get angry? Because the world isn't catering to "my needs, my wants" and refuses to feed the high horse I'm riding on. The need to control - pride fits right in - "I know best and why can't anybody get that"????

Envy: Same principle as wrath. Why is it that others have what I can't have - after all, I'm all that and deserve it more than you deserve it.

I think pride drives every one of the other 6.

Pride is the worst because it prevents you from seeing the truth of your life.

I believe they are tenants of the Catholic church. Sins they have labeled at the 7 deadliest. However I may be wrong.

They are really bad tenants; they block the toilet, never take out the trash and have loud parties every night.:mrgreen:

tenet:
a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy:the tenets of classical liberalism
Source: OED

None. That is Catholic dogma. Nothing in the Bible about them being worse than anything else.

All sin is bad.

None. That is Catholic dogma. Nothing in the Bible about them being worse than anything else.

All sin is bad.

:prof There's a list in Proverbs of "There are six things the lord hates, seven that are detestable to him"

:prof There's a list in Proverbs of "There are six things the lord hates, seven that are detestable to him"

That does not make them what the church made them into...

According to Sacred Origins of Profound Things, by Charles Panati, Greek monastic theologian Evagrius of Pontus first drew up a list of eight offenses and wicked human passions:. They were, in order of increasing seriousness: gluttony, lust, avarice, sadness, anger, acedia, vainglory, and pride. Evagrius saw the escalating severity as representing increasing fixation with the self, with pride as the most egregious of the sins. Acedia (from the Greek 'akedia,' or 'not to care') denoted 'spiritual sloth.'

In the late 6th century, Pope Gregory the Great reduced the list to seven items, folding vainglory into pride, acedia into sadness, and adding envy. His ranking of the Sins' seriousness was based on the degree from which they offended against love. It was, from most serious to least: pride, envy, anger, sadness, avarice, gluttony, and lust. Later theologians, including St. Thomas Aquinas, would contradict the notion that the seriousness of the sins could be ranked in this way. The term 'covetousness' has historically been used interchangeably with 'avarice' in accounts of the Deadly Sins. In the seventeenth century, the Church replaced the vague sin of 'sadness' with sloth.

Yes it is a Catholic thing to this day, even if it was not originally.

I don't think pride (like self-respect) is bad. Now arrogance .......that's really really bad.

Greed is really bad too. However some people think that if someone earns a lot money and doesn't want to pay higher taxes they are greedy. They have no idea what those people do in their personal lives with that money. Greed to me is wanting or taking things that you didn't earn but yet you think you deserve them. Like someone who walks into a party and scarfs down half a pizza without worrying if everyone got a piece.

I would make the argument that the "pride" as listed in the Seven Deadly Sins would be arrogance, as opposed to just normal self-esteem.

There's no such thing as sin, just delusions which make people behave in ways which harm themselves or others.

There's no such thing as sin,

But I've got maps to prove it!

lust_map.jpg

sloth_map.jpg

envy_map.jpg

I went with Sloth

Get your ass up out of the bed and do something! Anything! It you cannot? Get your ass to a hospital for depression.

Greed isnt theft when one is Greedy the legal way.

Being legally allowed to take something from somebody does not mean they're giving you consent to take it. Greedy multinational companies are legally allowed to plunder many lands against the consent of the people who are actually living in those lands. American settlers were allowed by law to take over Native American land against their consent. Those are just some examples of theft allowed by the law. The legalization of greed has more often than not led to theft. Just ask Africans, Native Americans, the Irish, South Americans and well, anybody who's had to deal with colonialism.

Last edited:
Yes it is a Catholic thing to this day, even if it was not originally.

The seven deadly sins may have been a popular motif with Catholics, historically. But it's not official Catholic dogma. Catholics only distinguish between mortal and venial sins.

I'm going to throw out one no one has voted for. I think lust is the deadliest sin (literally if you think of STDs). In our culture we have turned a blind eye to lust and accept with no moral dilemma the fact that over 90% of people have unwed sex and very few are saving themselves for marriage. Sexual immorality has spread like a disease and become like a poison. It has been eating away at the fabric of what the family is and the institution of marriage. You are almost persecuted now for not having sex and ridiculed for having and adhering to sexually pure morals.

I'm going to throw out one no one has voted for. I think lust is the deadliest sin (literally if you think of STDs). In our culture we have turned a blind eye to lust and accept with no moral dilemma the fact that over 90% of people have unwed sex and very few are saving themselves for marriage. Sexual immorality has spread like a disease and become like a poison. It has been eating away at the fabric of what the family is and the institution of marriage. You are almost persecuted now for not having sex and ridiculed for having and adhering to sexually pure morals.

Digsbe, pick up a history book. People just didn't start ****ing 200 years ago. They were doing it 1,000 years ago and 2,000 years ago and 3,000 years ago and 100,000 years ago. It's not like sexuality just became obvious to humans in the last 6,000 years. The only difference between 'our culture' and that of 1,500 years ago is that people didn't talk about ****ing as much as we do. They still did it just as much if not more.

Back
Top Bottom