• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Which Is More Powerful? Science or Faith?

Which one is more powerful? Science or faith?

• Science is more powerful.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Faith is more powerful.

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
The Real McCoy said:
Dude, science kills and faith saves lives... you can't just look at one side of the coin.

Look at all the religious conflicts throughout history, including currently in the mid-east. Combine that with the Inquisition, Crusades and Witch hunts, and faith iresponsible for a considerable amount of death as well.

As you said, you can't just look at one side of the coin...

MrFungus420 said:
Look at all the religious conflicts throughout history, including currently in the mid-east. Combine that with the Inquisition, Crusades and Witch hunts, and faith iresponsible for a considerable amount of death as well.

As you said, you can't just look at one side of the coin...

I wasn't... I was pointing out the side that he failed to see. I didn't feel mentioning the side he illustrated again as serving any purpose..

The Real McCoy said:
If your claim that science saves lives is true, then my claim that it kills is just as true. You can't cast aside my argument without voiding your own.

Of course science maintains the ability to kill, but it is the individual who puts it to use, who is ultimately responsible. I don't even know why we are having this discussion, if it weren't for science, our lives wouldn't be as comfortable as they are now.

kal-el said:
Of course science maintains the ability to kill, but it is the individual who puts it to use, who is ultimately responsible.

You admit yourself that it's the INDIVIDUAL that puts it to us.. both GOOD and BAD.

kal-el said:
I don't even know why we are having this discussion, if it weren't for science, our lives wouldn't be as comfortable as they are now.

And if it weren't for faith, you wouldn't expel so much energy bashing faith.

The Real McCoy said:
You admit yourself that it's the INDIVIDUAL that puts it to us.. both GOOD and BAD.

No ****. But science itself is not bad, on the contrary, it is probably the best thing that ever happened to mankind.

And if it weren't for faith, you wouldn't expel so much energy bashing faith.

No, like I said, I don't have a problem with faith, persae, it's just when people think that there faith is RIGHT. That faith somehow holds all the answers, answers which science cannot come to. In some ways, no, science cannot disprove a "supernatural" event, but once again, faith requires no evidence whatsoever. Just like if you didn't put any gas in your car, you could think it would run, going on "faith", but logic tells you it won't run unless you put gas in.

kal-el said:
No ****. But science itself is not bad, on the contrary, it is probably the best thing that ever happened to mankind.

If nukes start being thrown in the Middle East, it'll be the worst thing to happen to mankind.

kal-el said:
No, like I said, I don't have a problem with faith, persae, it's just when people think that there faith is RIGHT.

You started a thread bashing the Bible, the book at the core of the largest faith on Earth.

independent_thinker2002 said:
Crop rotation, hybrids, and irrigation. You remind me of the old homeless guy with the sign, "The End is Near!"

I would consider those advances in agriculture, but it's close to a science, so I won't nit pick. I will however address your rude comment about me reminding you of a homeless person. At first glance, I just figured you were still upset for an owning in another thread. After further review, I can see you, most of you really, are refusing to examine the very real possibility of nuclear annihilation. I know it's not something that's pleasent to think about, but it is a threat that science has brought to us, ans everytime I bring it up, there is a hush over the thread. I am certainly not doubting the wonders of science, and all the good it has done, but it only takes one bad, and this bad will destroy us all.

Deegan said:
I would consider those advances in agriculture, but it's close to a science, so I won't nit pick. I will however address your rude comment about me reminding you of a homeless person. At first glance, I just figured you were still upset for an owning in another thread. After further review, I can see you, most of you really, are refusing to examine the very real possibility of nuclear annihilation. I know it's not something that's pleasent to think about, but it is a threat that science has brought to us, ans everytime I bring it up, there is a hush over the thread. I am certainly not doubting the wonders of science, and all the good it has done, but it only takes one bad, and this bad will destroy us all.

Agriculture is a science. Check out any university requirements for a degree in this field. As far as an "owning", I am not sure what you are talking about, so I can't be upset. For someone who buys into the bible, I fail to see how nukes in the middle east would compare to a global flood. Nukes in the middle east wouldn't necessarily lead to a global nuclear war. Though it is a possibility.

Agriculture is a science. Check out any university requirements for a degree in this field. As far as an "owning", I am not sure what you are talking about, so I can't be upset. For someone who buys into the bible, I fail to see how nukes in the middle east would compare to a global flood. Nukes in the middle east wouldn't necessarily lead to a global nuclear war. Though it is a possibility.

I have obviously ticked you off somewhere down the line, as you are always so defensive, arrogant, and rude when speaking to me. That said, I never said I "buy in to the bible" I have said time and again, Jesus birth, and death, are the only things I hold true. I have also mentioned many times, that I am convinced of evolution, only formed by a creator. I hope that clears this up for you, but somehow I think you'll just continue to assume, that is obviously your M.O.

To the topic, it will be science that destroys us, either through nuclear, biological, or another form of weapon. So, whatever life was saved through science, in the end, it will destroy us, so faith is what I have to hold on to, as science has proven to be unreliable.

Oh, and since you so very much enjoy correcting spelling, I felt I should help you spell ridiculous, as you so very often spell it, rediculous.;)

Nukes in the hands of Islamic (a FAITH) extremists would be a very bad thing. One of several reasons I voted for faith being more powerful.

Deegan said:
I have obviously ticked you off somewhere down the line, as you are always so defensive, arrogant, and rude when speaking to me. That said, I never said I "buy in to the bible" I have said time and again, Jesus birth, and death, are the only things I hold true. I have also mentioned many times, that I am convinced of evolution, only formed by a creator. I hope that clears this up for you, but somehow I think you'll just continue to assume, that is obviously your M.O.

To the topic, it will be science that destroys us, either through nuclear, biological, or another form of weapon. So, whatever life was saved through science, in the end, it will destroy us, so faith is what I have to hold on to, as science has proven to be unreliable.

Oh, and since you so very much enjoy correcting spelling, I felt I should help you spell ridiculous, as you so very often spell it, rediculous.;)

Thanks for correcting my misspelling, my bad. Just out of curiosity, Do you think jesus is a savior? Also, what about the bubonic plague vs. middleast nuclear war?

Thanks for correcting my misspelling, my bad. Just out of curiosity, Do you think jesus is a savior? Also, what about the bubonic plague vs. middleast nuclear war?

I struggle with that, I am not certain if it was God working through him, or if he was sent to earth by him. I certainly believe there is enough proof of his existence, and of his good works while on earth, but I don't really know.

As to the plague, I feel science could combat any and all plagues in a reasonable amount of time. Of course the death toll could reach the millions, but the effects of radiation on water supplies, food supplies, and possibly our weather, a plague pales in comparison IMHO. I also don't worry as much about the M.E as I do N.K, and here recently, Russia. Not that they would launch, but the way they are passing out weapons as if they were candy, and helping rouge nations to achieve this nuclear power.

Deegan said:
Starvation?

Not sure I understand?:confused:

As I have said before, science will kill us all. When the day comes that we see that huge mushroom cloud science brought us, we will all be wishing we had some faith.
How can science help solve or avoid or minimise starvation ?
Contraception to keep populations low in areas of poor soil fertility, applied science has enabled flight that can enable food drops as temporary fix, applied science can often make infertile lands fertile by cultivation & by using machinery based on technology & science where one person can work the land to feed a thousand. Science & technology has made farming far less labour intensive.
Science has saved billions of lives with medicine compared to the 200,000 dead in Japan from atomic bombs.
Pray all you like, but if you get seriously ill & I hope you don't, it's applied science, in other words medicine, that will save you, not some sweet old man in the sky with a beard.

robin said:
How can science help solve or avoid or minimise starvation ?
Contraception to keep populations low in areas of poor soil fertility, applied science has enabled flight that can enable food drops as temporary fix, applied science can often make infertile lands fertile by cultivation & by using machinery based on technology & science where one person can work the land to feed a thousand. Science & technology has made farming far less labour intensive.
Science has saved billions of lives with medicine compared to the 200,000 dead in Japan from atomic bombs.
Pray all you like, but if you get seriously ill & I hope you don't, it's applied science, in other words medicine, that will save you, not some sweet old man in the sky with a beard.

Well I agree with everything but the last line, I don't know for sure, but either do you, so lay off my faith, and i'll return the favor.;)

The Real McCoy said:
If nukes start being thrown in the Middle East, it'll be the worst thing to happen to mankind.

Dude, nuclear bombs don't get "thrown" all by themselves. Man is behind it. Nuclear power can provide all kinds of energy, not challenged by convential methods. Show me any indication that science is bad for mankind.

You started a thread bashing the Bible, the book at the core of the largest faith on Earth.

I didn't need to. The bible, if you read it in it's entirety, simply makes an ass out of itself. It's full of asinine misconceptions, contradictions, and numerous absurdities.

kal-el said:
Dude, nuclear bombs don't get "thrown" all by themselves. Man is behind it.

No ****. I should hope you know what I meant.

kal-el said:
Nuclear power can provide all kinds of energy, not challenged by convential methods. Show me any indication that science is bad for mankind.

The question has nothing to do with good vs. bad.. it only asks which is more powerful. We all know Hitler was pretty powerful.

kal-el said:
I didn't need to. The bible, if you read it in it's entirety, simply makes an ass out of itself. It's full of asinine misconceptions, contradictions, and numerous absurdities.

Agreed. But you started a thread pointing them out... pretty anti-faith in my eyes.

The Real McCoy said:
All the more reason to vote faith as being more powerful. The question wasn't which was more beneficial, it's which is more powerful? Power doesn't have to be good or bad.
You do have a point. Maybe I should change my vote (If I could. This board has a %$#@%$@# poll setup)

The Real McCoy said:
Cancer... yea, not much faith can do about that... except perhaps to give the victim or their family peace of mind. But that's just one example. Just because faith can't cure physical diseases doesn't mean it doesn't save lives.

Such peace of mind comes from subjecive ideas that comfort them. They are not dealing with the issue at hand; rather they are attempting to deny it in a form of "wishfull" thinking. The concept of life initiates the inevitability of death. There is a cycle here which cannot be denied in a factual sense.

Do Algae have faith? How about the hundreds of other species that exist on this planet? Do they rely on faith, or, instinct. How do they survive?

They haven't been given the grand cognition to understand the virtue of their thought. It's not divine.... it's chronological.

Last edited:
Conflict said:
Such peace of mind comes from subjecive ideas that comfort them. They are not dealing with the issue at hand; rather they are attempting to deny it in a form of "wishfull" thinking. The concept of life initiates the inevitability of death. There is a cycle here which cannot be denied in a factual sense.

It still comforts them. What matters is that through their faith and beliefs, they can find hope in the situation regardless of what basis it has in reality.

Back
Top Bottom