• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Which Is More Powerful? Science or Faith?

Which one is more powerful? Science or faith?

• Science is more powerful.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Faith is more powerful.

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
The Real McCoy said:
Can anybody here even make an evolutionary argument for how Human beings originated, starting about... oh let's say 4 billion years ago, WITHOUT touching on abiogenesis??

Doubtful..

Oh, if you wish to discuss HUMAN evolution, there's no point in going back to the creation of the moon. There's not even much point in going past the Permian-Triassic boundary, really. And actually, any discussion of purely human evolution can pretty much start with the rise of the primates about 3 to 4 million years ago.

You would seem to be off the mark by a factor of a thousand. That's pretty poor shooting in any game. Perhaps if you go away until you learn something about the topic you won't make those silly novice errors?

The Real McCoy said:
But the origin of life, genetics, etc. is where evolution hits a dead end.

Evolution does hit a dead end at that point because it is outside of the purview of evolution.

The Real McCoy said:
Classic argument presented by evolution advocates.

"However, here on earth, the popular evolutionary line of reasoning goes, we have an “exception,” because we live in an open system: “The sun provides more than enough energy to drive things,” Isaak says. And indeed, solar energy is added to the open sub-system of the earth continuously. But simply adding raw energy to a system doesn’t automatically cause reduced entropy (i.e., increased organized complexity, build-up rather than break-down). If this were true, no scientist would object to the elimination of the ozone, since more raw solar energy would only mean a welcome increase in organized complexity (a hastening of the alleged evolutionary process, as it were) in the world as we know it.

No, we know that raw solar energy alone does not decrease entropy. In fact, by itself, it increases entropy, speeding up the natural processes that cause break-down, disorder, and disorganization on earth (consider, for example, your car’s paint job, a wooden fence, or a decomposing animal carcass, first with and then without the addition of solar radiation).

Speaking of the applicability of 2nd law to both “closed” (isolated) and open systems in general, Harvard scientist Dr. John Ross (not a creationist) affirms:

“...there are no known violations of the second law of thermodynamics. Ordinarily the second law is stated for isolated systems, but the second law applies equally well to open systems ... there is somehow associated with the field of far-from equilibrium phenomena the notion that the second law of thermodynamics fails for such systems. It is important to make sure that this error does not perpetuate itself.” [Dr. John Ross, Harvard scientist (evolutionist), Chemical and Engineering News, vol. 58, July 7, 1980, p. 40]"

http://www.trueorigin.org/isakrbtl.asp

Ok, let's look at the next part of the site that you supplied:

"The fact is, contrary to the simplistic claim often parroted by evolutionists like Isaak, any increase in organized complexity (i.e., decrease in entropy) invariably requires two additional factors besides an open system and an available energy supply. These are:

1. a “program” (information) to direct the growth in organized complexity
2. a mechanism for storing and converting the incoming energy.

The earth’s living systems have both of these essential elements. Each living organism’s DNA contains all the code (the “program” or “information”) needed to direct the process of building (or “organizing”) the organism up from seed or cell to a fully functional, mature specimen, complete with all the necessary instructions for maintaining and repairing each of its complex, organized, and integrated component systems. This process continues throughout the life of the organism, essentially building-up and maintaining the organism’s physical structure faster than natural processes (as governed by the 2nd law) can break it down.

Living systems also have the second essential component—their own built-in mechanisms for effectively converting and storing the incoming energy. Plants use photosynthesis to convert the sun’s energy into usable, storable forms (e.g., proteins), while animals use metabolism to further convert and use the stored, usable, energy from the organisms which compose their diets.

So we can see that living things do not in fact “violate” the 2nd law, nor are they excepted from or “irrelevant to” the 2nd law, but they actually have built-in programs (information) and energy conversion mechanisms that allow them to build up and maintain their physical structures in spite of the 2nd law’s effects (which ultimately do prevail, as each organism eventually deteriorates and dies). Every living organism itself is a highly complex and organized creation, able to live within the earth’s “open system” biosphere (the only place in the universe known to man that supports life), by means of a unique, inherent program (information, DNA), plus an inherent energy conversion & storage mechanism (photosynthesis, metabolism)."

After this point, there seems to be an attempt to obfuscate this by making a comparison of inorganic and organic systems.

The Real McCoy said:
These hundreds of "transitional" fossils are highly questionable far from concrete evidence.

"It’s important to understand up front that—in spite of such a clearly defined definition—there is much disagreement among the leaders in paleontology concerning which specimens qualify as “transitional” and which supposed “transitional forms” fit into which lineages, and where."

Notice, however, that the disagreement isn't whether or not there are transitional fossils, but which are transitional, and where they fit. Much of the disagreement here is due to new findings which can shift where fossils belong in the lineages.

The Real McCoy said:
"A very serious indictment of evolutionary “spokespersons” (such as Isaak) thus arises, as under the guise of a “united front” they declare the matter of transitional fossils to be no problem, while in reality the hands-on practitioners of science continue to disagree with one another on matters both great and small as they attempt to construct the very same phylogenies which the “spokespersons” describe as firmly established and beyond dispute."

Here we have an unsubstantiated generalization by the author, Timothy Wallace.

The Real McCoy said:
"In the first place, objective paleontologists concede that one’s interpretation of the fossil record will invariably be influenced by one’s presuppositions (in the case of the evolutionists, the presumption that evolution has taken place), and that everything must therefore be forced to somehow fit into that framework."
http://www.trueorigin.org/isakrbtl.asp

This is a statement with it's basis in "quote-mining". Mr Wallace took 2 sentences entirely out of context.

The presupposition that was being refered to was that of uniformitarianism. This allows us to use our knowledge of processes as they are today to draw conclusions about the past. It's the presupposition that the processes are the same.

The Real McCoy said:
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to where this genetic structure originated.

There are a few thoughts on that, but none of them are part of evolution.

The Real McCoy said:
Never said it was evolution.

You seem to have a problem with abiogenesis because it throws a wrench in "proven" evolutionary delusions.

Again, the origin of life is not part of evolution, be it abiogenesis or another method.

Why would you think that something that is not part of evolution would be a problem with evolution?

wow! I don't post for a while and people are once again......Divided, Does it really take a stupid person to unite you people?

(actually about the word stupid........)

The Real McCoy said:
But the origin of life, genetics, etc. is where evolution hits a dead end.
ignorant nonsense. Evolution doesn't even DEAL with the origin of life, it is another field of study. It also doesn't deal with electrical currents or the format of atoms, so those are also the areas where Evolution hits a dead end. Of course it does, as this is not something it concerns itself with. Your insistence that it should is again ONLY showing ignorance/deception about Evolution, nothing else.

And yes, Evolution does VERY well with genetics, so that is also false.
Classic argument presented by evolution advocates.
Oh, I can't wait. lets see how honest you are about this!
"However, here on earth, the popular evolutionary line of reasoning goes, we have an “exception,” because we live in an open system: “The sun provides more than enough energy to drive things,” Isaak says.
Again, energy flow is physics, not biology. That aside, the 2loT has been shown to be as poorly understood by creationists as is their understanding of Evolution. Lets see if you are doing any better here than the average creationist, shall we?
And indeed, solar energy is added to the open sub-system of the earth continuously. But simply adding raw energy to a system doesn’t automatically cause reduced entropy (i.e., increased organized complexity, build-up rather than break-down).
Ah, so plants don't grow by photosynthesis, allowing for more organisms and therefore an increased pool of mutations?
If this were true, no scientist would object to the elimination of the ozone, since more raw solar energy would only mean a welcome increase in organized complexity (a hastening of the alleged evolutionary process, as it were) in the world as we know it.
Now, THAT was an interesting fallacy and outright misrepresentation. One based on focusing on only one thing, ignoring all other facts. That is as dishonest as anything else the creationists dish out. Biologists, like you as well, value self-preservation. To claim that we want an increased mutation rate at the expense of our own lives, that is asinine.

So your "if it was true" misrepresentation is a false analogy, it is dishonest.

Again, instead of making wild, unsubstantiated and false claims, when are you actually going to learn about this stuff so you can post intelligently on relevant and factual stuff instead of these false inventions of yours?
No, we know that raw solar energy alone does not decrease entropy. In fact, by itself, it increases entropy, speeding up the natural processes that cause break-down, disorder, and disorganization on earth (consider, for example, your car’s paint job, a wooden fence, or a decomposing animal carcass, first with and then without the addition of solar radiation).
However, this requires you to completely ignore photosynthesis, the biggest source of energy on Earth. If you have to ignore the vast majority of the biosphere in order to make your claim, don't you think there is something wrong with your claim?
Speaking of the applicability of 2nd law to both “closed” (isolated) and open systems in general, Harvard scientist Dr. John Ross (not a creationist) affirms:

“...there are no known violations of the second law of thermodynamics. Ordinarily the second law is stated for isolated systems, but the second law applies equally well to open systems ...
BUT NOT IN THE SAME WAY. MORE misrepresentation, MORE outright falsehood. Are you done yet, or are you further going to show how ignorant and outright dishonest the creationist arguments always are?
there is somehow associated with the field of far-from equilibrium phenomena the notion that the second law of thermodynamics fails for such systems.
Again, nobody are claiming this, but we certainly note that in such systems local entropy decrease happens, as is the case with photosynthesis in plants, which is what drives nearly all of the earth's biosphere (ignoring thermal vents).
It is important to make sure that this error does not perpetuate itself.” [Dr. John Ross, Harvard scientist (evolutionist), Chemical and Engineering News, vol. 58, July 7, 1980, p. 40]"
And it is important not to make misrepresentations about this as well.

And I couldn't help but noting that your source was NOT a Biological Sciences Source. Dr. Ross is not listed on the Harvard Faculty list, and the only John Ross that shows up in the physical sciences is a chemist at Stanford, which makes him NOT a biologist, NOT an 'evolutionists" which makes your claim ANOTHER falsehood.

But we'll wait and see. I sent him an e-mail and hopefully he will write a brief note back
Yes, a creationist site that misuse out of context and misrepresent scientific data and information. In this case by what looks like "quote mining," the deliberate reproduction of partial statements out of context to present a view opposite of what was stated. Do you think Dr. Ross agrees with your dishonest misrepresentation and misuse of his statement? Well, we'll see when he writes back.
These hundreds of "transitional" fossils are highly questionable far from concrete evidence.
Why? Why are they highly questionable? because you say so?

"trueorigin" has been caught in outright lies and misrepresentations before as well, so it really isn't a good source. Non-scientific, political sites are not evidence for or against science.
"It’s important to understand up front that—in spite of such a clearly defined definition—there is much disagreement among the leaders in paleontology concerning which specimens qualify as “transitional” and which supposed “transitional forms” fit into which lineages, and where.
But not of their existence. Another dishonest quote mining, IOW.
"A very serious indictment of evolutionary “spokespersons” (such as Isaak) thus arises, as under the guise of a “united front” they declare the matter of transitional fossils to be no problem, while in reality the hands-on practitioners of science continue to disagree with one another on matters both great and small as they attempt to construct the very same phylogenies which the “spokespersons” describe as firmly established and beyond dispute."
A "because I say so" claim from the trueorigin site, a known liar. Frankly I couldn't care less.
]"In the first place, objective paleontologists concede that one’s interpretation of the fossil record will invariably be influenced by one’s presuppositions (in the case of the evolutionists, the presumption that evolution has taken place), and that everything must therefore be forced to somehow fit into that framework."
A lie. Fossils are not interpreted per the assumption that Evolution occurred. Rather, it is found that evolution occurred based on what the Fossil data showed. So that was another misrepresentation. yes, your sources obviously are not held to any standards of factuality, which is one of the big differences from not using Scientific Sources.
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to where this genetic structure originated.
Irrelevant. All we need to know for studying Evolution is how it changes, namely biology. Yes, I know that you want to misrepresent this and claim that we can't study changes without proving origin of DNA and the first cell, which is a matter for chemistry, not biology.. And thus that remains a falsehood and a deliberate attempt at misrepresenting Evolution. A flagrant dishonesty.

The Real McCoy said:
Never said it was evolution.
You said we couldn't deal with Evolution without it, and that still remains an ignorant falsehood.
You seem to have a problem with abiogenesis because it throws a wrench in "proven" evolutionary delusions.
Nope. Rather, it is acompletely different field. Didn't you look at the link I provided? Well, I guess you didn't. How dishoest of you.

The Real McCoy said:
Can anybody here even make an evolutionary argument for how Human beings originated, starting about... oh let's say 4 billion years ago, WITHOUT touching on abiogenesis??
Human origin as hominid were about 8-10 mill years ago. We don't need to talk about abiogenesis to do that. You can't talk about how life ORIGINATED without duiscussing abiogenesis, bet then again, that is not evolution anyway, despite your false claims to the contrary.

It is always interesting when a creationist who knows nothing about the science makes claims about what the Science does or should do. I find it extremely hypocritical and ignorant when they spew that ignorant nonsense.

Nikola said:
Evolution is wrong!
-Darwin
Trolling falsehoods. What a surprise, coming from a creationsist

(Well, not really, it never is a surprise; our experience with creationists make us EXPECT you guys bearing false witness.)

quietrage said:
Faith is more powerful because people will fight, kill, and die for their faith. I have not heard of any wars launched because of a scientific idea.

Usually the church kills them before they get that far.

You know i look at my life and i look at the things that i have and the situation I'm in (which is pretty good, but things could be a lot worse). The only explanation i can give is my ultimate faith in God. He has provided all my needs from day one and since i got saved (baptized) 11 yrs ago i have always stayed faithful. That is why nothing serious or life threatening (besides my heart condition) has happened to me.
On another note I believe science is a tool for humans to figure out what God had already put there, but was just waiting to be discovered. Case in pint the "Big Bang" theory. This may very well be what God did when He said " Let There Be Light !". And the scientists simply figured it out. Think about it. Peace.

Steen, you got me... I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong. I was simply trying to present a plausable creationist argument but it's clear that it cannot logically stand. I'm still trying to figre out where I stand spiritually... What I do know is that I believe in God 100% and I believe evolution is the way God brought us into existence... my only real qualms are with atheistic evolutionists.

MrAchilles said:
You know i look at my life and i look at the things that i have and the situation I'm in (which is pretty good, but things could be a lot worse). The only explanation i can give is my ultimate faith in God. He has provided all my needs from day one and since i got saved (baptized) 11 yrs ago i have always stayed faithful. That is why nothing serious or life threatening (besides my heart condition) has happened to me.
On another note I believe science is a tool for humans to figure out what God had already put there, but was just waiting to be discovered. Case in pint the "Big Bang" theory. This may very well be what God did when He said " Let There Be Light !". And the scientists simply figured it out. Think about it. Peace.

Can you show me a verifiable source that God exists.... let alone that he said let there be light... or even maybe that he is a he and not an it? There is no better way to embrace ignorance than to follow your suit. I love jesus. Jesus is lord. (give me all your money, Jesus needs your money)

You're the perfect example of someone who doesn't have any faith. A person that questions the truth and has to see to believe. Not seeing and believing is having faith.

And did you read the Bible? You'll find that God did say "Let the be light" in the first book which is Genesis.

MrAchilles said:
You're the perfect example of someone who doesn't have any faith. A person that questions the truth and has to see to believe. Not seeing and believing is having faith.

Alternately, he's an example of someone who isn't gullible.

MrAchilles said:
And did you read the Bible? You'll find that God did say "Let the be light" in the first book which is Genesis.

He asked for a verifiable source. You are trying to use the Bible to prove itself.

MrAchilles said:

The creation of light as God's first act is backed up by scientific evidence. It's common knowledge among astronomers that within the first moments of the Big Bang, our universe was dominated by photons or particles of light. Unfortunately, the 7 days of creation fall apart at day 4. Even if it's assumed the "days" are actually ages, the 4th day/age was supposedly the creation of the sun & moon. This is simply wrong on so many levels... the sun could not possibly have formed AFTER the earth and AFTER the creation of plants (on the 3rd day) that utilize photosynthesis.

The Real McCoy said:
The creation of light as God's first act is backed up by scientific evidence. It's common knowledge among astronomers that within the first moments of the Big Bang, our universe was dominated by photons or particles of light.

Umm no. The universe was completely opaque for the first ~300,000 years of its existence, until it had substantially cooled and could form atoms. This drastically reduced the amount of free electrons to scatter the photons.

Kandahar said:
Umm no. The universe was completely opaque for the first ~300,000 years of its existence, until it had substantially cooled and could form atoms. This drastically reduced the amount of free electrons to scatter the photons.

Wrong.

First of all, photons don't require atoms or other subatomic particles to exist.

The first instantaneous moments after the Big Bang were dominated by photons.. this is common scientific knowledge. Shortly thereafter, the universe entered a "Dark Age" (for several thousands or millions of years) where there was no light until sufficient amounts of matter could gravitationally condense and trigger nuclear fusion, producing stars and light (among other things.)

The Real McCoy said:
Wrong.

First of all, photons don't require atoms or other subatomic particles to exist.

The first instantaneous moments after the Big Bang were dominated by photons.. this is common scientific knowledge. Shortly thereafter, the universe entered a "Dark Age" (for several thousands or millions of years) where there was no light until sufficient amounts of matter could gravitationally condense and trigger nuclear fusion, producing stars and light (among other things.)

Not really all the familiar with modern cosmology, are you?

The universe was opaque to light until about 300,000 years, an event called misleadingly "recombination" from a similar event in plasma physics where the electons re-combine with atoms as the plasma cools. Nothing had been formerly been combined before the Recombination event in the early universe.

At Recombination the temperature of the universal gas was still fairly warm, as I recall it would be a reddish glow, like a hot stove. Stars didn't form until later.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Not really all the familiar with modern cosmology, are you?

The universe was opaque to light until about 300,000 years, an event called misleadingly "recombination" from a similar event in plasma physics where the electons re-combine with atoms as the plasma cools. Nothing had been formerly been combined before the Recombination event in the early universe.

At Recombination the temperature of the universal gas was still fairly warm, as I recall it would be a reddish glow, like a hot stove. Stars didn't form until later.

My bad. Just learned all that ^^ in my astronomy class today, go figure. :lol:

The Real McCoy said:
My bad. Just learned all that ^^ in my astronomy class today, go figure. :lol:

So what school are you going to? I see your location is "upstate New York".

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
So what school are you going to? I see your location is "upstate New York".

Broome Community College (in Binghamton)

The Real McCoy said:
Broome Community College (in Binghamton)

It's nice down there. I'm from Syracuse orginally, and got some BS from SU before moving to Los Angeles.

Once in a while I miss the snow. Then I take my boat out for a sail, in February, and forget all about it.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Once in a while I miss the snow. Then I take my boat out for a sail, in February, and forget all about it.

Speaking as someone from mid-Michigan...pbthpbthpbth!!!! :nahnah: :nahnah:

MrFungus420 said:
Speaking as someone from mid-Michigan...pbthpbthpbth!!!! :nahnah: :nahnah:

When I really really want to see snow, I can go visit my mother-in-law in Lake Arrowhead. That's way too high a price to pay, though.

Back
Top Bottom