• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which is more corrupting: Power or money?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Of the two. Regarding elected politicians at the state and federal levels.

Please explain why you chose one over the other.

You don't get to have any power until you have the money to back it.

"First you get the money, then you get the power" - Tony Montana

Our government proves that you can corrupt people with power by using money.

You don't get to have any power until you have the money to back it.

Not true, people with a huge of money and moderate levels of power cannot do the same amount of damage as people with lots of power but only a moderate amount of money. Usually the latter abuses said power in the pursuit of more money.

Those who don't have a lot of power, but a lot of money, then use that money to put anyone in power.

Not true, people with a huge of money and moderate levels of power cannot do the same amount of damage as people with lots of power but only a moderate amount of money. Usually the latter abuses said power in the pursuit of more money.

My answer is "power."

With power, one can get all the money they need.

Who has always had the power? Those who had wealth. Those with the most have always controlled those with the least.

No. You're backwards here, people who have always had power have always used it to make themselves wealthy. Limit power as an exploit, they wealthy won't have any power to buy.

How does one get powerful without money or wealth?

No. You're backwards here, people who have always had power have always used it to make themselves wealthy. Limit power as an exploit, they wealthy won't have any power to buy.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

That's a tough one. Power is having the ability to affect others on a grand scale?

Power comes with money, correct?

The point I'm making is that money itself is not something that leads to corruption, it's the power that comes with money that leads to it.

I feel both Money and Power can be considered, somewhat, one in the same.

All in all it's a really confusing poll to discuss...

It is tough to define. If a person becomes rich and becomes corrupt, was it the money that allowed them to become corrupt or the power that came along with the money.

Personally, if a person has loose morals and is easily corrupted, then it doesn't matter if they are given power or money.
Power comes with money, correct?

The point I'm making is that money itself is not something that leads to corruption, it's the power that comes with money that leads to it.

I feel both Money and Power can be considered, somewhat, one in the same.

All in all it's a really confusing poll to discuss...

Well i voted for power...but an interesting idea to chew on--Money is power

Power. Once you have power, you can get money easily and you have an impetus to remain powerful so you can keep making more money.

As long as there has been war, there has been mercenaries. Bought and paid for. Those with the most sticks usually wins.

Wars predate money. But hell, this conversation really is going nowhere. My point is, if you limit the power of the government, there isn't power to be bought. Government, through regulations and rules, often makes it harder to compete with multibillion dollar corporations. Hell, just look at who is funding the push to regulate the E-cig market. The traditional tobacco companies who don't want their margins eroded. My point is, a smaller government is less friendly to those who hold power.

I chose neither, because money IS power. Although you can have some power w/o money, but generally, along with power comes money. But definitely if you have money, you have power.

Wealth doesn't always equate to money:2razz:, but I get your point. Money or power, doesn't matter, I am all about limiting the power of the government.

Wars predate money. But hell, this conversation really is going nowhere. My point is, if you limit the power of the government, there isn't power to be bought. Government, through regulations and rules, often makes it harder to compete with multibillion dollar corporations. Hell, just look at who is funding the push to regulate the E-cig market. The traditional tobacco companies who don't want their margins eroded. My point is, a smaller government is less friendly to those who hold power.

Back
Top Bottom