• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which Economic Evil is Worse?

Which Economic Evil is Worse?

• Total voters
I only asked be cause you posted that corporations "suck up ALL the money into their coffers." I was wondeing if you actually believed that?
And BTW.....when is supply EVER perfectly balanced with demand in the real world?
It doensn't have to be perfectly balanced, not sure the word perfectly was used til now. However, with the advent of computers, inventory is kept within a reasonable proximity of perfection. You buy something, the store's computers note it, when inventory gets to a certain point, the store orders more, and so on.

It doensn't have to be perfectly balanced, not sure the word perfectly was used til now. However, with the advent of computers, inventory is kept within a reasonable proximity of perfection. You buy something, the store's computers note it, when inventory gets to a certain point, the store orders more, and so on.
Well, I beg to differ, but unfortunately the vast majority of corporations do not operate at optimum efficiency. How do you explain, surplusses, shortages, windfall profits, buyouts, bailouts, bankruptcies, failures, etc. It sure would have been nice, if we lived in your "optimal world" I wouldn't have spent wasted days the past three or four Christmas Holidays looking for those "hard-to-find," "top-of-the-line" hot new toys that my kids always want - and never finding them BTW. A balance between supply and demand (the optimal point) is often a tricky and elusive thing in a free, open-market system. In an "all things being equal" kind of setting it works great but unfortunately, we don't live in that kind of system. We live in a system where the supply-siders have the upper-hand, like it or not. Outside of necessities, the business world has an interesting way of "convincing" consumers that our demand for their products should be greater - and more oft than not, we're happy to just play along.

Well, I beg to differ, but unfortunately the vast majority of corporations do not operate at optimum efficiency. How do you explain, surplusses, shortages, windfall profits, buyouts, bailouts, bankruptcies, failures, etc. It sure would have been nice, if we lived in your "optimal world" I wouldn't have spent wasted days the past three or four Christmas Holidays looking for those "hard-to-find," "top-of-the-line" hot new toys that my kids always want - and never finding them BTW. A balance between supply and demand (the optimal point) is often a tricky and elusive thing in a free, open-market system. In an "all things being equal" kind of setting it works great but unfortunately, we don't live in that kind of system. We live in a system where the supply-siders have the upper-hand, like it or not. Outside of necessities, the business world has an interesting way of "convincing" consumers that our demand for their products should be greater - and more oft than not, we're happy to just play along.

during my college days, nights actually, back in the late 70's and early 80's, I wrote a paper on "just in time" manufacturing, inventory control, etc. It has been around a long time. The idea is to minimize warehousing expenses. As for toy shortages, they would rather not have enough than to have to warehouse an excess, besides, such shortages builds up the customers desire to have the items, as you noted. These are far from new ideas, and any manufacturer not using these methods is left in the dust. The only exception, those manufactures with no competition.
But even there, if they miscalculate, they end up missing salels or having an excess that has to be stored til next christmas. Many stores have great after christmas sales, up to 75% off, to avoid storing the stuff until next year.

Back
Top Bottom