• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which country brews the best beer ?

Cisero

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
It's summer, time for swimming, BBQs & cracking open some cold ones !
Touchy subject we've got right here fellas. Which country in your opinion brews the tastiest, freshest & heavenly brew ?

Personally although I love proper American beers (I really enjoy Blue Moon and Moose Drool for example), but to me nothing beats Belgian Beer. Karmeliet Trippel, Chimay, Orval, Gueuze ... yuuum).

Dangit, I'm thirsty now.

America; easily. It's not even close really. Not to knock good foreign beers, but the breadth and quality of American beer is just amazing. With Stone, Russia River, DogFish Head, Ballast Point, Founders, Sweetwater, just to name a few. This country is experiencing a craft beer renaissance.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but Blue Moon is brewed by MillerCoors, which was bought out by SAB a few years ago. So it's a South African beer, technically.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but Blue Moon is brewed by MillerCoors, which was bought out by SAB a few years ago. So it's a South African beer, technically.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :-(
Well, good to know that. I guess I like South African Beer in that case.

DogFish Head make some good stuff it's true. Still prefer Beligan stuff though. :mrgreen:
I'd like to recommend swiss beers but... we're not that good at beers. Wines on the other hand...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :-(
Well, good to know that. I guess I like South African Beer in that case.

DogFish Head make some good stuff it's true. Still prefer Beligan stuff though. :mrgreen:
I'd like to recommend swiss beers but... we're not that good at beers. Wines on the other hand...

If you like Belgian style beers and can get your hands on them, try Boulevard Brewing's Sixth Glass, and Ommegang Brewing's The Three Philosopher's. They're both great Belgian style quadrupple's and fantastic, American beers. :mrgreen:

I was addicted to Dominion Ale while I was in Newfoundland, and it is still my all time favorite brew 49 countries later.

Germany hands down. They even have a law regarding the brewing of the sudsy stuff. Belgium has the most breweries for a relatively small nation. That choice makes it difficult to find one that you like by the time you have sampled a half dozen or so. The Belgian national snack is french fries with mayonnaise, so the beer goes down easy. Prost!

Germany hands down. They even have a law regarding the brewing of the sudsy stuff. Belgium has the most breweries for a relatively small nation. That choice makes it difficult to find one that you like by the time you have sampled a half dozen or so. The Belgian national snack is french fries with mayonnaise, so the beer goes down easy. Prost!

I would argue the Reinheitsgebot actually hurt the beer market more than helped. Lots of great beer comes with more than the 4 basic ingredients in them, and if you look into the history of the law, it was more to control the price of bread, not for the betterment of beer.

In this day and age, there's no excuse for "bad" beer anywhere.

And yeah...Blue Moon is a big fat "NO"....

Small, local micro and nano breweries can and do make absolutely awesome beers.

The choices are staggering! I don't know how anyone gets shelf space. And now some ar treating beer like wine, pairing it with food and designing special glasses as well as the drama, pouring, sniffing, swirling, looking and admiring the color and bouquet, please just drink! Cheers!

I've never had any tasty german beer... recommendations ?

In this day and age, there's no excuse for "bad" beer anywhere.

And yeah...Blue Moon is a big fat "NO"....

Small, local micro and nano breweries can and do make absolutely awesome beers.

Yeah I realize Blue Moon is a controversial beer to like :2razz:

Alright so now there's more than one God

Yes there are many gods. Here is a non exhaustive list : Amber The Great, Blonde The Prosperous, Brown The Strong, Fruit The Flavorful, IPA The Mighty, Pilsner The Brave, Wheat The Wise...

I was going to say this but I thought someone would start a fight over it. Never had any bad beer (or food, for that matter) in Germany. I passed on the pomme frites.

Yes there are many gods. Here is a non exhaustive list : Amber The Great, Blonde The Prosperous, Brown The Strong, Fruit The Flavorful, IPA The Mighty, Pilsner The Brave, Wheat The Wise...

Hiccup

I've never had any tasty german beer... recommendations ?

I am partial to Hefe Weiss beer. Wheat beer, usually brewed in southern Germany. Weihenstephaner, (most of their line up, advertised as the oldest brewery in the world), Franziskaner (brewed in the same facility as Spaten[a more traditional German beer]), Hacker-Pscorr, Hofbrauhaus. Koenig Ludwig and Paulaner. There are many small brewers that never get to the international markets but are just as good. A nice beer and bratwurst is hard to beat.....

The original Czech Budweiser Budvar is a symphony for the taste buds. Nothing like the pale American ersatz stuff

Touchy subject we've got right here fellas. Which country in your opinion brews the tastiest, freshest & heavenly brew ?

Personally although I love proper American beers (I really enjoy Blue Moon and Moose Drool for example), but to me nothing beats Belgian Beer. Karmeliet Trippel, Chimay, Orval, Gueuze ... yuuum).

Dangit, I'm thirsty now.

Murica....

In the San Diego area there are approximately 150 breweries and the brew everything from the wimpiest pale yellow piss to Belgian Trippels and quads. From IPAs to Stouts and Porters that will take your breath away. Braggots and fruit beers. Peanut Butter stouts. Horchata beer. English ESBs. Pilsners. Even had Cactus fruit beer.

Its all here.

Not to be missed:

Alpine Nelson IPA

Anything Mexican inspired from BorderX brewery .

Novo Brazil's Corvus Stout.

Anything from Little Miss.

Palate Wrecker by Green Flash.

Dangit, I'm thirsty now.

Moose Drool is some good stuff. Went to the tap room many, many times while visiting my daughter when she went to Univ of MT. Missoula has several other fine breweries. Bayern which was ahead of the curve and opened in 1987 and is the only German brewery in the Rocky Mountains, Kettlehouse which makes Cold Smoke (Scotch Ale) and Draught Works which makes one of my favorite IPAs Scepter Head.

But yeah judging by the breadth of our micro brew industry I don't know how America couldn't come out on top. Now if the question is which country originated the tastiest, freshest & heavenly brew, IDK.

Dangit, I'm thirsty now.

Micro breweries are growing pretty fast around the United States now. Well, I know they are in the City of Milwaukee and in cities of other Midwestern or Northern states. There are so many beers from micro breweries in the USA as well as so many beers from so many other countries that I could not really answer that question. I mean what... I may have drunk about 0.9% of the beers in the whole of the world? Well... I doubt I've drank more than 3% of the beers from around the world.

But I'm totally with you on Chimay being on the list. Blew. My. Mind. What a great tasting beer. Exceptional. Well... Chimay blue which is the only one of the Chimay beers I have ever drank. I knew nothing of the beer. I was sitting on the outdoor patio, on a warm sunny day, at an lower East Side restaurant in Milwaukee waiting for a friend to arrive. I ordered a Chimay blue from the beer menu just to try something new. It was my first--thus far last--time at that restaurant. So, the restaurant itself was new too. Originally I was heading to the Pizza Man restaurant but it was closed or something. So, I walked across the street to that restaurant. It was a great choice.

I liked the Chimay blue so much that i asked the waitress before I left where I could buy that beer. She told me right on that same block at a liquor store. And I did. (I guess those Belgian monks know how to make some beer.)

That was a few years ago.

Here is the restaurant by the way, and I recommend it if you for some odd reason ever end up in Milwaukee. It's not the best restaurant I've eaten at in Milwaukee but it's not the worst either. Basically, it's decent. And the beer menu is good too I guess.

Restaurant: https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-hollander-milwaukee

A look at their beer menu: http://www.thelowlandsgroup.com/public/documents/menus/cafehollander_bierbook_downer.pdf

By the way... if you're in Milwaukee and hitting up cocktails at night after noon brews, here is a well regarded place on the South Side:

20 years ago it would have been a tough choice between a few different European countries. But now, in 2017? It is easily, hands down, the USA. The craft beer market here has exploded. The selection and variety and quality is insane. I actually haven't brewed any beer since moving back to the US because there isn't a need.

If you could only drink beer from one country for the rest of your life, you would be wise to go with the US.

Back
Top Bottom