• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which country are you living in at present?

Right now I am living in ...

• USA

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • Canada

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Mexico

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Great Britain

• Ireland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France

• Germany

• China

• India

• somewhere else

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters
Saudia Arabia

American expat

So far:

No Ireland
No France
No India

And: 37 out of 58 are in the USA :)

HI Rumpel,

Lol.

Yes. There is quite a few communities with Thai people living in The Netherlands. Quite the same as in Germany I would say. Maybe even more so in Germany.

Having said that, the presence of Thai people in Europe bleaks compared to some communities in Europe such as the Turks in both The Netherlands and in Germany.

Site tracking here a bit. But did you know that in the remote island of Spitsbergen, north of the mainland of Norway but still Norwegian, there is probably the largest community of Thais living compared to the total number of inhabitants? I believe they comprise some 30-35% of the total population, and still growing... It is also the only place (that I know of) in the world where any foreigner can enter without a passport and stay and live indefinitely, although you are not allowed to die there... (though admittedly, this is hard to control) Beautiful place, strange place, unusual rules. Would love to go there one day, and my wife, who is Thai, has Iceland and Spitsbergen on her bucket list.

Joost

HI Rumpel,

Lol.

Yes. There is quite a few communities with Thai people living in The Netherlands. Quite the same as in Germany I would say. Maybe even more so in Germany.

Hi Joost! :)

You are right there! Yes, there are lots of Thai restaurants in Germany!
And one of them is just round the corner from my place.

-------

Btw: I am actually a distant relation of the Royal House of Thailand.
No joking!
Does the name "Elisabeth Scharnberger" say anything to you?
She was aunt of the former king, as far as I know. Wife of Prince Rangsit, the former king's uncle.
As I am related to Elisabeth Scharnberger (from Heidelberg), I am also related to Prince Rangsit etc. somehow.
Prince Rangsit played an important role in his days, I think.

Best wishes from Rumpel :)

Site tracking here a bit. But did you know that in the remote island of Spitsbergen, north of the mainland of Norway but still Norwegian, there is probably the largest community of Thais living compared to the total number of inhabitants? I believe they comprise some 30-35% of the total population, and still growing... It is also the only place (that I know of) in the world where any foreigner can enter without a passport and stay and live indefinitely, although you are not allowed to die there... (though admittedly, this is hard to control) Beautiful place, strange place, unusual rules. Would love to go there one day, and my wife, who is Thai, has Iceland and Spitsbergen on her bucket list.

Spitsbergen really sounds an un-usual place!
I have read about it - now I will read more about it! :)

Spitsbergen really sounds an un-usual place!
I have read about it - now I will read more about it! :)

Hi Rumpel,

Yeah, I thought it was very interesting. Is just one of those things you really do not expect, is it? And I did that too, you start reading more about it. And than it just gets more interesting. ANd all that for a community of just several thousand people...

Joey

I have now read about Spitsbergen:

In 2009, Spitsbergen had a population of 2,753, of whom 423 were Russian or Ukrainian, 10 were Polish and 322 were non-Norwegians living in Norwegian settlements.[42] The largest non-Norwegian groups in Longyearbyen in 2005 were from Thailand, Sweden, Denmark, Russia and Germany.[43] Spitsbergen is among the safest places on Earth, with virtually no crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitsbergen

And Spitsbergen may also be spelled: Spitzbergen.

Back
Top Bottom