• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Which Conservative here would vote for Collin Powell in a second?

Which Conservatives would vote for Powell?

• In a Second if only he would run.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No I don't think he is qualified to be my President.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • I'm a liberal who shouldn't be voting on this pole but yes anyways (explain why)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a liberal and I wouldn't vote for him (explain why)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
O.K. recently there was a thread that stated that Conservatives are more racist than Liberals, I will not get into details of the inherent fallacies in the argument, however, just think to yourself who was it that created Jim Crow style cartoons of Condoliza Rice, liberals or conservatives?

Now one more question which conservative would vote for Collin Powell in a second if he would run? Not because he is black in the racial mindset of a liberal but because he is the most qualified man for the job.

Last edited:
Skippy isn't the most qualified man for the job, so I wouldn't vote for him. He's definitely a liberal's Republican. Sorta like Bush, even.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Now one more question which conservative would vote for Collin Powell in a second if he would run? Not because he is black in the racial mindset of a liberal but because he is the most qualified man for the job.

I am libertarian/conservative, and I would never vote for Powell. Among other things in Powell's history:

- Powell got pushed up throught the ranks during a period of time when the armed forces were strongly promoting "affirmative action" - this is the likely reason why he got so many promotions. He himself has come out for "affirmative action", basically discrimination against whites.

- Powell was involved in an attempted whitewash of the My Lai masaacre during the vietnam war.

- As chairman of the JCS, powell recommended against the gulf war - he was wrong.

- As secretary of state, powell travelled fewer miles to foreign countries than any secretary of state in modern times. It's hard to find any success he achieved in that office.

- Last year, Powell contacted eastern RINO republicans to oppose John Bolton's nomination as ambassador to the U.N. - at last a man who will stand up to the fecklessness and corruption of that institution.

Powell the best man? Don't think so.

Powell is closer to being a liberal than even a moderate. Powell, Guliani, Hagel and McCain are all too moderate for the Republicans to vote into being the Republican candidate for president. Republicans don't need wishy washy cut and run people representing them.

ptsdkid said:
Powell is closer to being a liberal than even a moderate. Powell, Guliani, Hagel and McCain are all too moderate for the Republicans to vote into being the Republican candidate for president. Republicans don't need wishy washy cut and run people representing them.

McCain is a solid conservative. The fact that he's been painted as a "moderate" as only because he's had the courage to stand up against the current president's reckless actions. But when he does, he's usually to the right of Bush.

McCain is the best candidate the Republicans can field in 2008, and probably the best candidate America can elect.

Kandahar said:
McCain is a solid conservative. The fact that he's been painted as a "moderate" as only because he's had the courage to stand up against the current president's reckless actions. But when he does, he's usually to the right of Bush.

McCain is the best candidate the Republicans can field in 2008, and probably the best candidate America can elect.

What nonsense is this?

McCain - Junior member of the Keating Five, the group that got the banking laws changed that eventually led to the Savings and Loan meltdown. The only Republican of that select group, I have to add.

McCain - Raised billions of dollars of taxes on mostly poor people by engineering the so-called "Tobacco Settlement". Most of this money went to finance lawyers, and more political "gimme" projects.

McCain - Raped the First Amendment with his "Campaign Finance Reform Act".

McCain - Supported Bush's idiotic Amnesty for the Mexican Invaders program.

McCain - Co-Author of a the so-called Anti-Torture Bill. Gimme a break! If an enemy has information we need to know to save the lives of Americans or win a battle, we should extract it. Torture probably isn't the most effective way to do this, but McCain's stupid bill would prevent us from doing what is needed.

McCain - Has been a total disaster for America. This country would have benefitted far more if he'd stayed in his airplane the day the USS Forestal caught fire.

The scary thing is, Kandahar is probably right, and McCain probably is the best the Republicans can scrape up. Does that terrify you? Is should.

Last edited:
I could not respond to the poll.........It would depend on who was running against Powell.......To be honest although Powell is a republican, he is a little to liberal for me...........

I don't believe it's possible to make an educated decision on such a thing before a candidate expresses his/her position on the issues. Or, gives an outline of their basic platform. Then, of course, you have their history to contend with and how much of that history will influence their future and how much of it will repeat itself. Anything less would be irrational.

alphamale said:
:2funny:

The republican for 2008 is Mitt Romney, the Governor of Massachusetts

Mitt Romney is unelectable and un-nominatable.

alphamale said:
:2funny:

The republican for 2008 is Mitt Romney, the Governor of Massachusetts

Massachusetts? Who in their right mind would ever elect anyone from that hole? I mean, that place doesn't have the decency to kick a drunk imbecile out of the Senate.

You probably think I'm a liberal-- and I don't consider myself specifically "conservative"-- so I avoided voting in the poll.

It would depend on who was running against him, honestly. I'd guess he'd be fairly more reserved in his usage of military force-- but at the same time, his expressed military doctrine does not allow for useless half-measures.

With the exception of his weakness on gun control, I admire his more moderate, centrist stances.

alphamale said:
Nonsense.

Yeah, I can just see the evangelicals in the GOP falling in love with a Mormon. Especially one who has flip-flopped on abortion and stem-cell marriage when it became clear he might run for president. And let's not forget his universal health care proposal, which I'm sure the GOP will just LOVE.

And suppose he wins the nomination. In the general election, he'll be forced into the odd position of either extolling the values of Massachusetts which his base will hate, or criticizing his own constituents. So far, he's going the latter route, and his constituents aren't too happy. The reason he isn't running for reelection as governor is because he won't win.

There is simply NO WAY that Mitt Romney will EVER be president. Not a chance in hell.

Last edited:
Kandahar said:
Yeah, I can just see the evangelicals in the GOP falling in love with a Mormon. Especially one who has flip-flopped on abortion and stem-cell marriage when it became clear he might run for president. And let's not forget his universal health care proposal, which I'm sure the GOP will just LOVE.

And suppose he wins the nomination. In the general election, he'll be forced into the odd position of either extolling the values of Massachusetts which his base will hate, or criticizing his own constituents. So far, he's going the latter route, and his constituents aren't too happy. The reason he isn't running for reelection as governor is because he won't win.

There is simply NO WAY that Mitt Romney will EVER be president. Not a chance in hell.

Voters don't care about some flipflops. George Bush the lst was pro choice until he became Reagan's running mate and converted to prolife to provide a unified ticket. Both Bill Clinton and Al Gore were prolife before becoming the Democrat candidates for the White House and both had to convert to pro choice to keep their base happy.

On McCain's 'legacy' somebody started up there, the McCain/Feingold campaign finance reform bill did make some reforms but left holes big enough to drive an entire Army division through, all of which benefitted McCain and Feingold. For instance, the act exempts lobbyists from Indian tribes and this is a large source of McCain's campaign contributions. This loophole left the door wide open to make it possible for the Abramoff scandal to happen. Was this deliberate on McCain's part? Of course not. But it was the result of legislative initiated for expediency instead of effectiveness. I want candidates that will legislate for results and effectiveness.

Would Powell be that kind of candidate? I tend to trust him to be who he is. In the primary election would I vote for him over some other candidates? Yes and no depending on who those candidates are. In the general election would I vote for Powell over anybody who is likely to win the Democrat nomination? Probably.

Better at least some conservative credentials than none.

AlbqOwl said:
Better at least some conservative credentials than none.

Mark Warner and Evan Bayh are at least as conservative as Colin Powell.

Kandahar said:

Perhaps. But to vote them in gives the ultra liberal wackos in Congress more power just the same, and to conservatives that would be unacceptable. The entire Democrat party needs to rediscover its historic conservative roots before it will regain any credibility with any Americans who tend to tilt right.

Conservatives want a certain ideology to be followed. Who carries it forward is irrelevant, as long as they are devoted to it. Liberals are very different on race.

Promoting certain races matters more to them than hiring qualified people or admitting students to universities who've actually earned it. It is in Democrats' short term political interest (very short term) to pander to blacks, feeding their paranoid bigotry with erroneous, one-sided examples of how life is still so unfair to them and how it is always about race.

Liberals, by putting their own short term interests ahead of the interests of the country, have made blacks into the least intelligent, least productive, most violent subculture in America. Blacks are led to believe that everything comes down to race. They've even turned Christmas into a racial issue with the BS Kwanzaa "holiday."

I was in Cincinnati when black rioters tore the city apart to "get revenge" for a cop who shot a fleeing black suspect with 12 outstanding warrants. The fact that he had every reason to car jack someone or in some other way put the public in grave danger to get away was disregarded, and they were led to focus only on the fact that a white cop shot a black career-felon.

Black "civil rights leaders" like Sharpton and Jackson (who ARE the problem) came to the city to peddle their race-baiting hype and to promote themselves.

Lawsuits were filed, the city was boycotted for years, and as the city caved in with cowardly groveling, black groups insisted they would not even open a dialogue unless every single black criminal who assaulted, murdered, or burned something or someone during the rights was granted full amnesty under the reasoning that they were reacting to oppression. It was like dealing with Hammas.

I witnessed a 12 year old black kid throw a concrete block through a white woman's car window while she fled in terror. The kid's mom was standing behind him cheering him on.

Liberals have turned blacks into animals blinded by hate and conspiracy theories.

As to the central question, I like Powell as a person (from what I can tell) and I would vote for him in most elections, but not 2008. Democrats have a popular extremist (with a 95% rating from one of the most fanatical partisan liberal groups in the country) masquerading as a centrist. People will go for Hillary like sheep. The only way she can be brought down is by us having a black woman to run against her. That's why I would prefer Condi in a heartbeat.

If any conservative here wants to fight the insanity of race preferences that taint and cheapen black accomplishments, check out the American Civil Rights Institute.

Last edited:
Kandahar said:

Powell, Guiliani, and McCain could all win the general election, but Republicans would never nominate them. That would make the election a choice between a moderate liberal and an extreme one. It would be like watching a political debate on the networks or CNN or reading the New York Times-ACTUAL conservative views largely unrepresented.

Mitt Romny cannot beat Hillary. The ONLY one who can is Condi.

Well, I certainly would vote for Condi over anybody the Dems are likely to put up as a candidate. The one I have my eye on though is George Allen (R-VA). If he is for real, I think he might be our next Reagan.

aquapub said:
Powell, Guiliani, and McCain could all win the general election, but Republicans would never nominate them.

A few months ago, I would've agreed with you that McCain couldn't win the nomination, but now I'm not so sure. He's a conservative himself, but he does have the ability to reach out to moderates and disaffected liberals. I don't really see any animosity between Bush Republicans and McCain anymore despite their policy disagreements; perhaps that feud is a thing of the past.

AlbqOwl said:
Well, I certainly would vote for Condi over anybody the Dems are likely to put up as a candidate. The one I have my eye on though is George Allen (R-VA). If he is for real, I think he might be our next Reagan.

George Allen looks like a Bush clone to me. If it's Reagan you want, I think the closest thing you'll have in 2008 is Gingrich or McCain. But Gingrich is probably not electable.

Back
Top Bottom