• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which candidate would you vote for?

Which candidate would you vote for?

• Candidate A

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Candidate B

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Candidate A speech:

"The new national government will consider it its first and supreme duty to restore our nation’s unity of will and spirit. It will safeguard and defend the foundations on which the strength of our nation rests. It will firmly protect Christianity, the basis of our entire morality; it will safeguard the family, the nucleus of our body politic and our state. It wants to base the education of our country’s youth on a reverence for our great past, on pride in our old traditions. It will thus declare war on spiritual, political, and cultural nihilism. We must not and will not become prey to anarchic Communism. In place of turbulent instincts, the government will once again make national discipline our guide. In so doing, it will consider with great care all institutions which are the true guarantors of the strength and power of our nation."

Candidate B speech:

“This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself – nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance... We do not distrust the future of essential democracy. The people of the United States have not failed. In their need they have registered a mandate that they want direct, vigorous action... They have made me the present instrument of their wishes. In the spirit of the gift, I take it.”

Candidate B lost me with the notion that christianity is "the basis of our entire morality".
Heaven help us if it is.
😇

Candidate A speech:

"The new national government will consider it its first and supreme duty to restore our nation’s unity of will and spirit. It will safeguard and defend the foundations on which the strength of our nation rests. It will firmly protect Christianity, the basis of our entire morality; it will safeguard the family, the nucleus of our body politic and our state. It wants to base the education of our country’s youth on a reverence for our great past, on pride in our old traditions. It will thus declare war on spiritual, political, and cultural nihilism. We must not and will not become prey to anarchic Communism. In place of turbulent instincts, the government will once again make national discipline our guide. In so doing, it will consider with great care all institutions which are the true guarantors of the strength and power of our nation."

Candidate B speech:

“This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself – nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance... We do not distrust the future of essential democracy. The people of the United States have not failed. In their need they have registered a mandate that they want direct, vigorous action... They have made me the present instrument of their wishes. In the spirit of the gift, I take it.”
Words are cheap. I need more than that to make a decision.

Based on your two quotes...neither one.

If people vote based off a few paragraphs of words, that's a problem.

Candidate B.

Candidate A would not doubt appeal to many R-wingers.

Because vague paragraphs with no policy or substance are worthless?

It does explain why and how some people vote though.
It isn't a real vote in a real election.

Fortunately, or not, our Founders, nor Congress since then, ever wrote into the Constitution that electors had to have any criteria at all for voting for the candidate of their choice.

Except when the Senate Minority Leader engages in 'vague paragraphs' then it absolutely it describes how conservatives vote.

Except when the Senate Minority Leader engages in 'vague paragraphs' then it absolutely it describes how conservatives vote.
Oh I’m sure idiots on both sides of the political spectrum vote based on speeches.

Yep, we can choose between “national discipline” or “direct, vigorous action” - both seem like a call for increasing (federal?) government power and expense.

Candidate A speech:

Candidate B speech:

well i would never vote based on speech alone ever
but common sense says thats besides the point and not the rule for your question/poll so ill answer

neither speech really seems great but speech A seems like its from a loon and instantly loses me with its falsehoods

The answer is a resolute "A".

It is not a real Election folks.

It is a thought experiment of sorts.

Interesting that they can't engage in a simple thought experiment.

The values of the candidates seem clear, and we are more likely to vote on our values than on anything else.

Need more information! What record does each candidate have. What Bills have they supported. One speech means nothing.

Need more information! What record does each candidate have. What Bills have they supported. One speech means nothing.

Try judging them based on the values they espouse.

Candidate A speech:

Candidate B speech:

I am guessing that Candidate A is Adolf Hitler and Candidate B is FDR. That's an EZ-PZ choice--Candidate B.

Sound bites have never affected the outcome of an election. Just ask Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney. ;)

Candidate B.

Candidate A would not doubt appeal to many R-wingers.

Why? Right wingers have the fewest Christian values of any group of people on Earth, including athiests. Although they do tend to appreciate the lip service from people who shun and blatantly ignore those same values.

Thats not true - Trump flipped on tons of bills and got in on speeches basically telling racists they are actually victims and got the support of millions.

Let's hope you didn't vote for TFG then...

Not crazy about B's speech, but I'd vote for B over A, if these speeches are all we had to go on. I didn't vote in the poll though.

Back
Top Bottom