• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where's The Racism?

TheHammer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
As much as I despise Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, I must say that Trump’s remarks about the judge in his “Trump U” trial, leaves me to say that the anti-Trumpsters, both the Democrats and Republicans who are calling those remarks racist, should consider explaining how simply mentioning somebody’s ethnic heritage equates to racism.

Racism is the belief that one race of people are superior to other races of people or one or some races are inferior to other/an other races/race of people.

Nothing Trump said in his rant about the judge indicated that he considered Mexicans inferior to anybody. He simply was pointing out that because he, (Trump), because he says he will build a wall to keep illegal Mexicans out of America, the judge being of Mexican heritage was handing down biased negative rulings against Trump in the trial.

Where’s the “racism?”

You are correct. There is no such thing as racism. Thank goodness we Americans no longer have to worry about that one.

As much as I despise Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, I must say that Trump’s remarks about the judge in his “Trump U” trial, leaves me to say that the anti-Trumpsters, both the Democrats and Republicans who are calling those remarks racist, should consider explaining how simply mentioning somebody’s ethnic heritage equates to racism.

Racism is the belief that one race of people are superior to other races of people or one or some races are inferior to other/an other races/race of people.

Nothing Trump said in his rant about the judge indicated that he considered Mexicans inferior to anybody. He simply was pointing out that because he, (Trump), because he says he will build a wall to keep illegal Mexicans out of America, the judge being of Mexican heritage was handing down biased negative rulings against Trump in the trial.

Where’s the “racism?”

You are correct. There is no such thing as racism. Thank goodness we Americans no longer have to worry about that one.

That's not what the OP said at all. Can you explain your hyperbole?

Don't have to. The Donald stated a judge could not judge his case simply because of his ethnicity. Trump's a racist or is pretending to be to fire up his base. The only way the base can pretend he is not (and thus neither are they) a racist is to fall back on the defining away the term.
That's not what the OP said at all. Can you explain your hyperbole?

Don't have to. The Donald stated a judge could not judge his case simply because of his ethnicity. Trump's a racist or is pretending to be to fire up his base. The only way the base can pretend he is not (and thus neither are they) a racist is to fall back on the defining away the term.

No, you made an incorrect statement about what the OP said. The OP never said there is no such thing as racism.

Certain people may say ethnic heritage, but put up some picture of a dark skinned vato from the hood and I bet they wouldn't claim him as "white". This judge is a nice clean cut guy, of course he passes.

Where’s the “racism?”

Declaring that someone's ethnicity makes them incapable of adequately discharging a government office is as racist as declaring that someone's ethnicity makes them uniquely or more capable to it.

So yes. It's racist.

Where’s the “racism?”

First off, Trump did not just "merely mention [the judge's] ethnic heritage." Trump said that the judge was inherently biased because he was mexican.

Second, Trump had to be corrected - on multiple occassions - that a Judge born in Indiana, even where both that person's parents were born in a different country, is American - not Mexican.

And now, finally to address the actual question: The textbook definition of racism is "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races." In this particular situation, Trump has effectively argued that all Mexicans (or even more broadly those of Mexican heritage), i.e. members of a "race" (I know you want to get ticky tacky here and claim that Mexicans are not a race, but you're in a loosing battle if that's your point), are inherently biased against Trump, i.e. has a specific characteristic, that would make this Judge - or any Judge of Hispanic origin - inferior to another race because presumably a caucasian male Christian judge would be preferable to Mr. Trump considering that he also stated that a Muslim could be biased and his surrogates have stated that a female judge could be biased against Mr. Trump.

The fact that all racism is bigotry does not mean that all bigotry is racism. After seeing countless Trump protestors flying the Mexican flag it is not totally unreasonable to assume that a judge belonging to a Latino/Latina lawyer's club by virtue of their Mexican heritage just might hold a similar grudge. Could Trump be wrong about that judge? Quite possibly, but simply assuming that it must be racism to draw that conclusion is equally lame. It is no secret that Trump lacks support among most Hispanic voters but it is also obvious (to most) that lack of support for Trump is not due to racism.

Where’s the “racism?”

Yes, the whole point of trying to increase diversity in the judiciary and in other areas is that having ethnically diverse people in positions of responsibility benefits the respective ethnic groups. The whole rationale of diversity is a confirmation of what Trump is saying. Otherwise why bother?

Declaring that someone's ethnicity makes them incapable of adequately discharging a government office is as racist as declaring that someone's ethnicity makes them uniquely or more capable to it.

So yes. It's racist.

Well then, does that make you a homophobe? If I remember correctly you were one to come out first and suggest that Judge Walker could not rule on Prop 8 because he was a gay man. I supported that position in principle, just like I support Trump's position in principle. It doesn't mean I or Trump or you are correct, but there is that stink in the air regardless. Look, Anyone that thinks Trumps remarks were anything other than stating the obvious potential for conflict of interest hasn't been really paying close attention to what Trump, the man, actually is. Trump doesn't like losing, nor being attacked, nor does he like feeling like he's being treated unfairly. If he senses any of those things, he goes on the attack. He's an equal opportunity attacker, which, gives his enemies fodder to suggest instability. In this regard, I have been on the fence about whether I think he should dial anything back, but I'm still leaning for Trump to remain being Trump, and not give in to the party pressure to soften his approach. If elected this "hint" of instability and penchant for going on the offensive will actually benefit us geo-politically. But short-sighted pundits can't see past Trump's media makeover long enough to recognize brilliance in his approach.

Trump, right or wrong to bring it up in the conversation was at least right about the potential for impartiality, and that, and that alone was all he was saying. It pains me to see sensible conservatives whom I admire and respect their opinions and viewpoints lose their minds over Trump. Sure he's no conservative by any social measure, but Republican's have been losing that battle for well over two decades, in fact, I'd say we've lost it. Instead of retreating and admitting total defeat, maybe it's "Time to advance in another direction." ;)

Tim-

Well then, does that make you a homophobe? If I remember correctly you were one to come out first and suggest that Judge Walker could not rule on Prop 8 because he was a gay man. I supported that position in principle, just like I support Trump's position in principle. It doesn't mean I or Trump or you are correct, but there is that stink in the air regardless. Look, Anyone that thinks Trumps remarks were anything other than stating the obvious potential for conflict of interest hasn't been really paying close attention to what Trump, the man, actually is. Trump doesn't like losing, nor being attacked, nor does he like feeling like he's being treated unfairly. If he senses any of those things, he goes on the attack. He's an equal opportunity attacker, which, gives his enemies fodder to suggest instability. In this regard, I have been on the fence about whether I think he should dial anything back, but I'm still leaning for Trump to remain being Trump, and not give in to the party pressure to soften his approach. If elected this "hint" of instability and penchant for going on the offensive will actually benefit us geo-politically. But short-sighted pundits can't see past Trump's media makeover long enough to recognize brilliance in his approach.

Trump, right or wrong to bring it up in the conversation was at least right about the potential for impartiality, and that, and that alone was all he was saying. It pains me to see sensible conservatives whom I admire and respect their opinions and viewpoints lose their minds over Trump. Sure he's no conservative by any social measure, but Republican's have been losing that battle for well over two decades, in fact, I'd say we've lost it. Instead of retreating and admitting total defeat, maybe it's "Time to advance in another direction." ;)

To the first bolded statement, what evidence do you have for that belief?

To the second bolded statement, Trump is not discussing the "potential for impartiality" by saying that the "judge is inherently biased because he is Mexican."

Well then, does that make you a homophobe? If I remember correctly you were one to come out first and suggest that Judge Walker could not rule on Prop 8 because he was a gay man

Hm. As I recall, my problem with him was that in his "findings" he basically took a lot of ideological positions (rather than factual ones), and that these aligned with his obvious personal interest in the case.

You know what, I'll have to go back and check.

If elected this "hint" of instability and penchant for going on the offensive will actually benefit us geo-politically. But short-sighted pundits can't see past Trump's media makeover long enough to recognize brilliance in his approach.

Trump has no idea what he is doing in foreign policy. There is zero brilliance in his approach.

Hm. As I recall, my problem with him was that in his "findings" he basically took a lot of ideological positions (rather than factual ones), and that these aligned with his obvious personal interest in the case.

You know what, I'll have to go back and check.

Trump has no idea what he is doing in foreign policy. There is zero brilliance in his approach.

Well, our foreign policy arguably over the last 16 years hasn't exactly yielded us net positive results, so I'm willing to go in another direction, if only for a 4 year trial. :)

Tim-

To the first bolded statement, what evidence do you have for that belief?

If there's one thing you want in your enemies, it's predictability. Trump is anything but that. It gives you a natural human instinct to pause.

To the second bolded statement, Trump is not discussing the "potential for impartiality" by saying that the "judge is inherently biased because he is Mexican."

That's a matter of opinion, but it's not racist.

Tim-

Well, our foreign policy arguably over the last 16 years hasn't exactly yielded us net positive results, so I'm willing to go in another direction, if only for a 4 year trial. :)

Tim-
Sure. Let's try nuking ourselves. Change!

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Sure. Let's try nuking ourselves. Change!

Well then, CP, it seems you're at the same place I was, and you still are. Do you hate Trump so much that you'd be willing to let Hillary win? I hate that this is America's decision both for Dems and GOP'ers, but we better get used to it because THAT is our choice.

Tim-

No, you made an incorrect statement about what the OP said. The OP never said there is no such thing as racism.

You had it right when you called it hyperbole.

Tim-

If cpwill has to be a homophobe for you to support a racist candidate, so be it. Consider it done.

That's hyperbole, too!
Eh. It's argumentum ad ridiculum. Arguing that we should try stupid foreign policy because "it's different" is.... dumb.

Eh. It's argumentum ad ridiculum. Arguing that we should try stupid foreign policy because "it's different" is.... dumb.

I believe the term you are looking for is argumentum ad absurdum or, as I call it, reductio ad absurdum, which can be an effective means of argument, but you've got to do it first.

Saying 'let's try nuking ourselves' is simply hyperbole, absurd to be sure, but simply hyperbole.

Last edited:
I believe the term you are looking for is argumentum ad absurdum or, as I call it, reductio ad absurdum

Yup. Mea Culpa

Saying 'let's try nuking ourselves' is simply hyperbole, absurd to be sure, but simply hyperbole.

Hyperbole, perhaps, but also a demonstration of the foolishness of the claim that national security decisions can be as bad as they like, so long as they are different.

Can you even define "racism?"

Yup. Mea Culpa

You may be attempting an appeal to ridicule fallacy.

Hyperbole, perhaps, but also a demonstration of the foolishness of the claim that national security decisions can be as bad as they like, so long as they are different.

Nuking ourselves is a national security decision?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom