• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where's The Racism?

Those criticisms aren't unreasonable but the topic is not the legitimacy of wikipedia.

I'm not making things up out of thin air, i am explaining my view. I would appreciate if you could respond to the points i've raised rather than attacking sources.

I disagree with your "view" and what you've posted from Wiki I also disagree with and consider it just more leftist political correctness attempting to confuse, pervert and laughably expand the definition of "racism" so lefties can feel good about calling everybody that disagrees with them "RACIST."

I haven't "ATTACKED" Wiki, I simply posted a criticism of Wiki. If you want to consider Wiki as gospel, that's your prerogative.

Look up "racism" in any legitimate, online English dictionary and you'll find that the definitions not only match what I posted, but you won't find any that don't match with what I posted.

Their intention for labeling what someone said as "racist" is irrelevant. It is either factual and correct, or it is not factual and wrong.

It is a derogatory, hate-based word used to describe black people, by a person who is not black.

As I stated, "Racism is when a person harbors hatred toward a particular person, or persons, based solely upon their race." This is backed up here, and here

Degrees of offense are based on the individual at the receiving end of racism, but it does not change whether what they received was racist or not.

I believe that when racism results in words or actions, it should be condemned and our society should have no tolerance for it PERIOD. Unlike the people who choose to play the race card (dishonest people whom I despise) on those they dislike or disagree with, there are some people who are racist not by conscience choice, but due to their childhood, such as their family upbringing, or due to some form of physical or psychological trauma inflicted upon them by person or persons of another race. For those people (which I have known several) I simply feel sorry for them, rather than feel anger or disgust. Even when that is the case however, it's still racism and should be called out with the same veracity as it would be by someone who embraces racism by choice. I embrace a "no tolerance policy" when it comes to racism.

I'm sorry, but it does make sense that you only label someone or something racist, when it meets the definition of such. There are no so called "qualifiers". What someone says or does is either racist, or it's not.

Calling someone a "racist" carries very specific connotations with it. Connotations that are directly tied to the dictionary definition. It implies a person is irrational, embraces hatred, bigotry, is possibly violence, lacks education and is an over all scourge on society. Basically, anyone labeled a "racist" is immediately deemed a hater whos views and opinions become irrelevant. They immediately become a pariah in society.

I get the feeling that you confusing "racism" with "racially insensitive". Saying something "racially insensitive" isn't racist, because there's no derogatory intent or hatred involved, but rather something said that might unintentionally offend someone of another race, or make them feel bad.

For instance, let's say that a neighborhood is having problems with robberies and violence taking place, and at a town hall meeting they list each of the crimes and describe the suspects who committed them. If they described every single suspect as being latino for every crime, it might make the one and only latino family in attendance feel uncomfortable. If someone says "we've got to put a stop to these latino gang bangers", that not a racist statement... Yes, it is a negative, angry and derogatory statement, but it's focused toward the "gang bangers" (who happen to be latino) committing the crimes, not on latinos themselves.

Idk what to tell you Grim, those definitions are way too narrow. There are black people who think that the African race is inferior- do you think that is NOT an example of racism simply because they don't think their own race is superior ? Psychology has studied this phenomenon, it occurs.

You are not addressing my point. Is it racist or not ?

And you think that all racism is equally racist- that there are only degrees of offensiveness, there are no degrees of racism ? Seriously ?

And no, being called out for being "racist" doesn't make someone an evil pariah of society. When psychology studied racism, they found that ALLLLLLLLL humans are racist. We all are. We are cognitive misers- lazy thinkers. We will use the most broad category we can find for the sake of convenience. We naturally group by things like appearance and race. It just happens. It takes a conscious effort to remain a low prejudice person, which is the goal.

Your apparent goal of making "racism" a niche word that falls into obscurity seems to be an attempt to mask efforts to call out more subtle forms of racism like aversive racism. Since your understanding of racism seems limited to dictionaries, here's some information :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aversive_racism

And, yes, unintentional racism is still racism. Nowhere in your narrow dictionary definitions does it say it must be intentional.

Idk what to tell you Grim, those definitions are way too narrow.

Way too narrow?

They represent what racism is PERIOD. There has been an effort to redefine racism, and it appears that you are in that camp.

There are black people who think that the African race is inferior- do you think that is NOT an example of racism simply because they don't think their own race is superior ? Psychology has studied this phenomenon, it occurs.

You are not addressing my point. Is it racist or not ?

Of course it is racist. It may not offend people who aren't black, but I assure you black people will see it much differently. They will see such a person no differently than a white racist.

And you think that all racism is equally racist

My God, where are you coming from?

Racism is racism. If someone murders 1 person, and another murders 1000 people, they are still both murders.

that there are only degrees of offensiveness, there are no degrees of racism ? Seriously ?

Being offended is a "feeling" that is determined by the individual, while the portrayal of racism is absolutely defined.

This entire conversation has now changed for me. I thought you were struggling to understand the meaning of racism, but now it's become clear that you are one of those people on the political left that wants to redefine racism to suite their needs.

Racism is what it is... It doesn't matter who it comes from or why, it needs to be treated as a societal disease and condemned no matter who displays it. Using it a tool of political correctness by expanding its meaning against those whom you disagree with, is as vile as racism itself. Judging racism by how offended a person is, is complete and utter BS.

And no, being called out for being "racist" doesn't make someone an evil pariah of society.

The hell it doesn't. Trent Lott's political career was devastated by false accusations of racism, because he attended Strom Thurmond's birthday and said nice things about him. That was the direct result of expanding the meaning of racism, which of course didn't apply when people said nice things about Jess Helms.

When psychology studied racism, they found that ALLLLLLLLL humans are racist. We all are. We are cognitive misers- lazy thinkers. We will use the most broad category we can find for the sake of convenience. We naturally group by things like appearance and race. It just happens. It takes a conscious effort to remain a low prejudice person, which is the goal.

I believe that everyone is to a degree, racist. It's acting upon those feelings that creates a problem and justifies being labeled racist. Having those feelings and knowing they are wrong, and not acting upon them, is what separates good from bad. Would you call a person racist who has never acted in any way to justify such a label? Of course not.

You wouldn't call a person who wants to kill people a murderer, who never acts upon those feelings would you? Would you label a person who has a sexual attraction for 8 year old girls a pedophile, who lives their entire life never acting out on those feeling in any way?

A person can't control the way they feel, but they can control how they behave.

Your apparent goal of making "racism" a niche word that falls into obscurity seems to be an attempt to mask efforts to call out more subtle forms of racism like aversive racism. Since your understanding of racism seems limited to dictionaries, here's some information :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aversive_racism

And, yes, unintentional racism is still racism. Nowhere in your narrow dictionary definitions does it say it must be intentional.

There you go again... Using someone's theory posted on Wikipedia, to try and supercede or add to the dictionary definition. Sorry, but that just isn't valid.

Racism is an action that is well defined. It must be displayed in the manner laid out by that definition. The simple mention of race, or a persons race, is not racism unless it meets that definition PERIOD.

Saying "Black people are responsible for 80% of the murders in Chicago (a number I made up for this example)" is not a racist statement, any more than saying that "80% of serial killers in the US are white." Saying "All black people in Chicago are thugs and murderers" is a racist statement. Suggesting that black people in Chicago should be treated differently by society, than those who are not black, is discrimination and is also considered racism.

The factual mention of race, without malice toward a particular race, is not racism. Anyone saying different is acting irresponsibly and using the term as a tool against those they disagree with. Such behavior is reprehensible and should be condemned.

Back
Top Bottom