• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Where?

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So, this is just the preliminary "where" thread. If you have a good suggestion (ie. not your po-dunk hometown) please post it. Eventually we'll need to get some prices from the top places, so if you're up to doing a little research too on why your idea would be best that'd be great.

Kelzie said:
So, this is just the preliminary "where" thread. If you have a good suggestion (ie. not your po-dunk hometown) please post it. Eventually we'll need to get some prices from the top places, so if you're up to doing a little research too on why your idea would be best that'd be great.

I've always wanted to do NYC. But really I'm up to anywhere. I think cost should be a major consideration.

Pacridge said:
I've always wanted to do NYC. But really I'm up to anywhere. I think cost should be a major consideration.

I know. Which is why if anyone wants to do a little reseach on the costs in their town for hotel, convention center, etc that'd be great. I got some time next week, I could do Vegas.

Kelzie said:

I would suggest someone on the east coast such as new york city, or boston. I dont think a lot of people want to travel very far (I dont), but having it in a big historical city might give people more motivation to go.

Kelzie said:
I got some time next week, I could do Vegas.
And that's not the first time you've said THAT...:2wave:

Vegas would be going on the cheap. Too many chain smokers for my tastes though.

San Diego would be my choice.

I thought about a couple of places. We could do toronto...it has fairly cheap accomodations and a selection of facilities for holding events. Raleigh/Durham area is another consideration with its huge convention center downtown...they can host multiple events at the same time, so prices are pretty ranged for renting their facilities. There is always atlanta...midtown has some nice hotels and the southern charm is matched only by the metropolitan feel of the place. Savannah has a lot of rich history and plenty to do...along with a couple hotels that have decent facilities too. Just a few of my suggestions...

Hey, how about my place? I could hang up some plastic tarps in my garage and put up some cots. You all could stay the weekend. I'll get a keg.

After some thought... Washington DC would be awesome.

While we are *not* a US only forum, it would be nice to check out the sites. It fits the genre of our forum. Plus, we might be able to pull off a guest speaker (congressperson) if we are close.

??

DC would be cool. NYC, while I love it, can be pretty pricey. Vegas could be fun.....never been there.

Then there's always, ehem, Orlando.....sure it's my podunk hometown. But it also a major destination and I think airfares here can be pretty inexpensive. We have a lot of hotels with convention facilities and a major convention center. But, unless you're into theme parks, there's not much else to do here, unfortunately.

Wherever it was that Pac said he'd dance with me. :2wave:

Naughty Nurse said:
Wherever it was that Pac said he'd dance with me. :2wave:
Hell....I'd go to NYC just to Cop a Feel....

mixedmedia said:
DC would be cool. NYC, while I love it, can be pretty pricey. Vegas could be fun.....never been there.

Then there's always, ehem, Orlando.....sure it's my podunk hometown. But it also a major destination and I think airfares here can be pretty inexpensive. We have a lot of hotels with convention facilities and a major convention center. But, unless you're into theme parks, there's not much else to do here, unfortunately.

Orlando and Ft. Laud. are two of the least expensive places to fly into and stay nation wide. As far as things to do there's always golf. I don't golf, but hear it's popular.

Also people keep talking about convention centers and facilities. Might want to get an accurate count as to how many or going to actually show before we rent out the Georgia Dome.

Pacridge said:
Orlando and Ft. Laud. are two of the least expensive places to fly into and stay nation wide. As far as things to do there's always golf. I don't golf, but hear it's popular.

Also people keep talking about convention centers and facilities. Might want to get an accurate count as to how many or going to actually show before we rent out the Georgia Dome.

What? No Georgia Dome? To small? :mrgreen:

mixedmedia said:

Umm yeah there is...me and you can get some burgers and sit up at the end of the "trail" with a bottle of wine and watch the parade one night. :mrgreen:

I'm down with DC, NYC, or, if this is going to be a long term thing, someplace warm in the fall months.

I think the biggest factor in how many people show up is going to be cost rather than location, so I agree, cheapest is best.

If you end up going with Wash DC, don't judge the area by the current prices you may find. Right now we are heading into spring break/ then summer tourism season. The prices are high and will remain so until late Oct or there abouts.

Also, if you stay outside of DC, by a half hour or so, you can vastly improve your trip expenses. Dulles airport or BWI are both accessible airports whereas National airport can be a nightmare........although, it's accessible by the subway system.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Maryland side of DC (some areas more than others) but I've lived in northern VA for two decades. I'd be happy to tell you where to avoid, what areas have better transportation options etc if you need that sort of help. In terms of things to do, this area rocks. In terms of traffic/expense, well.... :)

I think DC is a great idea or even NYC because I've always wanted to go to both cities and see all the sights.

Of course I live in the midwest and I can argue to have it here since it's in the middle!:mrgreen:

I'm digging the idea of DC especially since we could organize some tours better with a group of some of the buildings. (And for the selfish reason that I've never been).

Chicago is a major hub, centrally located, and there is a lot to do there as well.

Or Crawford, TX. We can try and get the Sheehan rate. ;)

Somewhere in Middle America would be best. That's easier for most of us, and the prices will be considerably lower than if we attempted something near either coast.

I'd recommend Cheyenne (my own "po-dunk hometown") but it's always booked solid during the Summer and it's probably too far West for you colonials.

DC, New York, Boston, Philly and maybe if your pushing it Chicago. Anywhere else I can't go and if I can't go what sorta party would that be??? :mrgreen:

Korimyr the Rat said:
Somewhere in Middle America would be best. That's easier for most of us, and the prices will be considerably lower than if we attempted something near either coast.

I'd recommend Cheyenne (my own "po-dunk hometown") but it's always booked solid during the Summer and it's probably too far West for you colonials.

I'm not sure that's true. I live in Oregon. I can fly from Portland, Or to New York for 199 R/T (Jet Blue 21 day advance.) I just checked on Orbitz and a flight on the dates to Cheyenne would run me nearly 600 R/T.

Pacridge said:
I'm not sure that's true. I live in Oregon. I can fly from Portland, Or to New York for 199 R/T (Jet Blue 21 day advance.) I just checked on Orbitz and a flight on the dates to Cheyenne would run me nearly 600 R/T.

Geeze...I am going to pay 600 bucks just to get out of alaska to seattle. Thats always my most expensive leg of any trip I take. I miss being in the lower 48 and jetting around for cheap. :(

jallman said:
Geeze...I am going to pay 600 bucks just to get out of alaska to seattle. Thats always my most expensive leg of any trip I take. I miss being in the lower 48 and jetting around for cheap. :(

Really? I was looking the other day and found a flight from PDX to ANC R/T for 299. Alaska Air I think. Could have been America West though I fly them a lot.

Do you do the the Travelocity search?

Back
Top Bottom