• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where would you rather live? San Diego or Northern Virginia?

San Diego or Northern Virginia?

• Total voters

evan83

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So what will it be? The beehive of activity of DC's inner suburbs, or the sun and ocean of San Diego?

The sun.

To be serious, I'd prefer San Diego to DC, though I'd have to put up with the Chargers fans (better than Raiders fans I suppose).

So what will it be? The beehive of activity of DC's inner suburbs, or the sun and ocean of San Diego?
--------------------
Beehive, eh?
Is that what we're calling DC now?
I'll bet some of our fellow posters will use some other descriptors.
San Diego versus fetid swamp?
I'll be amazed if this poll doesn't go 90% for the beach.
The other 10% will be lobbyists.

DC might as well be Darfur, outside the tourist-centric center. Been there, done that. I'd rather live anywhere. San Diego it is.

Last edited:
I've been to San Diego several times, and it just seemed kinda....dull. But maybe that's because I spent most of my time in Chula Vista. So I voted for Northern VA. I loved living in Arlington (I lived in Pentagon City). Clean, safe, and the DC metro is one of the best subway systems in the world. Great nightlife. And the gentrification going on in DC is a big plus. And I didn't mind the hustle and bustle.

The sun.

To be serious, I'd prefer San Diego to DC, though I'd have to put up with the Chargers fans (better than Raiders fans I suppose).
-----------------------

Oh, well.
Those wacky Chargers fans are hopeless optimists.
They STILL believe Phillip Rivers will lead them to the Super Bowl.......or at least a .500 record.
At least they won't stab you.

I hate both of these choices, but picked DC on a coin toss.

The coin failed me. :(

I've lived in both, and I find San Diego far, far more pleasant. Northern Virginia is sooooooo crowded, even more than SD. It's too cold, and too hot. San Diego stays perfect weather year round. Real estate prices are fairly equal.

I've been to San Diego several times, and it just seemed kinda....dull. But maybe that's because I spent most of my time in Chula Vista. So I voted for Northern VA. I loved living in Arlington (I lived in Pentagon City). Clean, safe, and the DC metro is one of the best subway systems in the world. Great nightlife. And the gentrification going on in DC is a big plus. And I didn't mind the hustle and bustle.

LOL, I have a lot of family in Chula Vista. It gets better in other parts. Does it have to be San Diego or are you open to other parts of California?

-----------------------

Oh, well.
Those wacky Chargers fans are hopeless optimists.
They STILL believe Phillip Rivers will lead them to the Super Bowl.......or at least a .500 record.
At least they won't stab you.

They made a choice between him and Drew Brees, and well, we all know how that worked out.

I've lived in both, and I find San Diego far, far more pleasant. Northern Virginia is sooooooo crowded, even more than SD. It's too cold, and too hot. San Diego stays perfect weather year round. Real estate prices are fairly equal.

Just wait until the news Tyson's Corner metro stop opens up early next year. I imagine Tyson's Corner is going to look like Rosslyn or Crystal City in about 5 years.

Just wait until the news Tyson's Corner metro stop opens up early next year. I imagine Tyson's Corner is going to look like Rosslyn or Crystal City in about 5 years.

Yeah, I just really, really hated the DC area. Are you set on San Diego or are you open to other suggestions in California?

They made a choice between him and Drew Brees, and well, we all know how that worked out.
-------------------
But that Rivers.....he's just so darn fiery!!
I suggest a move from offense to defense for Phillip.
All his intercepted passes are good on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just really, really hated the DC area. Are you set on San Diego or are you open to other suggestions in California?

I'm not thinking of settling in California, sorry I wasn't clear. I just had an east coast vs. west coast discussion with a friend last night, and just picked 2 cities on the coasts I am familiar with. Just curious to read people's opinions.

yeah i lived in Fairfax proper and disagree. The subway sucks unless you stick to the places near it. NYC's is nasty but will put you closer to everything n the city. you could not survive on Metro alone in most of NoVA.and then you have to sit in traffic forever and pay for parking just to get on the thing, well except from 8-6 when there is no parking.

yeah i lived in Fairfax proper and disagree. The subway sucks unless you stick to the places near it. NYC's is nasty but will put you closer to everything n the city. you could not survive on Metro alone in most of NoVA.and then you have to sit in traffic forever and pay for parking just to get on the thing, well except from 8-6 when there is no parking.

Fair point. I keep forgetting that much of NoVa does not have Metro access. I was lucky to live just a 2 minute walk to a Metro stop, 10 minute commute into DC, and another 2 minute walk to the office, so my experience was very different from say, someone who lived in outer Fairfax who would have to sit in traffic for 2 hours a day. I can see how someone living that commuter lifestyle would hate living there.

I'm wondering...does San Diego have this problem?

I've lived in California and been to San Diego many times. (Tijuana too.) I've also visited D.C. (Yeah that metro train can get expensive and has limited access).

I prefer sunny climates...and tanned bikini bodies so it's S.D. for me. ;)

I've never lived in either place, so I couldn't say. I'm thinking San Diego though because I'm from the East coast, and a change of scenery might be nice, so I guess SD would be my choice. :mrgreen:

Fair point. I keep forgetting that much of NoVa does not have Metro access. I was lucky to live just a 2 minute walk to a Metro stop, 10 minute commute into DC, and another 2 minute walk to the office, so my experience was very different from say, someone who lived in outer Fairfax who would have to sit in traffic for 2 hours a day. I can see how someone living that commuter lifestyle would hate living there.

I'm wondering...does San Diego have this problem?

Ha, I was that other smuck. I lived down in Woodbridge and had to drive up to Ft. Belvoir for work. A 10 mile distance took me 2 hours on average round trip. Absolutely redonkulous.

San Diego is still really bad, but it's nothing like DC. DC is more like LA.

San Diego, but with a lower cost of living.

If I could go back in time I'd go to 1930s Newport Beach and buy up as much property as I could.

Neither. Give me a secluded country road with lots of land and scare neighbors, and I'll be all over it.

I spent time in both places while in the navy, and I much preferred San Diego. Would not really want to live there, but of the two, it is the better choice.

Spent lots of time in SD when I lived in Cali. Love the place. Not sure I would want to live there but if the choices are Northern Virginia and SD I am going to the Beach every time. I would rather be secluded in the woods somewhere about an hour from the beach!

Back
Top Bottom