• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where would the NFL be without ........?

Linc

NIMBY
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1. The point spread, the rest of the Pro football betting actions, Vegas--the UK-and the rest of the off-shore accounts 2. Illegal betting in the other 49 states. Every single pool is ILLEGAL.

2. The violence, contact, smash-mouth, in-your-face that is a reflection of this society.

3. the BEER, other alcohol and "other attitude adjustors that help feed our huge black market".

1. The point spread, the rest of the Pro football betting actions, Vegas--the UK-and the rest of the off-shore accounts 2. Illegal betting in the other 49 states. Every single pool is ILLEGAL.

Well, this is just wrong. Super Bowl Football Pools: Are They Legal? | Laws | Justia Law, Technology & Legal Marketing Blog

Many states, including Colorado, South Carolina, and Maine, provide exceptions to their usual gambling laws for social gambling.
Social gambling exceptions usually require that participants have a bona fide social relationship outside of the gambling activities, and that all the proceeds of the gambling activities are distributed among the participants (so the organizer can’t take a cut). Some states also limit the amount that a gambler can win or lose.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that only pools that take a cut for the house (do not pay out 100% to the winners) were illegal. It seems that the amount involved and IRS reporting may matter as well.

Office Pools: Are They Legal? | LegalZoom

Laws against betting in pools are among the dumbest. I am against any such laws but you would think even your average authoritarian would at least place an amount cap, such as bets above $100 ro so being illegal but all others being ok.

Most law enforcement officers and other government officials I know bet in such pools. It is good clean fun. Even if you don’t care about either team in a particular game, a friendly $5 bet in a pool can make the game much more interesting.

I also think I should be able to get together with a handful of my good friends and have a casual game of poker.

Thank you for the corrections. Gotta love those state's rights. "social" gambling----snicker----is ingrained in our very fabric as a Nation. Why else would a "fan" stay with a 27-14 game, late in the game, unless he has say 10.5 points on the losing team?

And your problem with this is.....?

And your problem with this is.....?

It is not the NFL that is popular, it is gambling. At your football parties, do folks watch the game intently? Mayybe the replays.

It is not the NFL that is popular, it is gambling. At your football parties, do folks watch the game intently? Mayybe the replays.

You're wrong about that. The NFL is much more popular than the gambling on it, and would remain immensely popular whether gambling on it exists or not. Yes, the football parties that I go to EVERYONE is focused on the game, and not a single person in the party has a dime on it.

You're wrong about that. The NFL is much more popular than the gambling on it, and would remain immensely popular whether gambling on it exists or not. Yes, the football parties that I go to EVERYONE is focused on the game, and not a single person in the party has a dime on it.

And, IMO, very few can say that. Legalized betting leads to fixing games. Illegal betting leads to the mob, which is why it won't be legal except in Nevada.

And, IMO, very few can say that. Legalized betting leads to fixing games. Illegal betting leads to the mob, which is why it won't be legal except in Nevada.

I didn't comment on the state of legal and illegal gambling, I simply said that NFL football is and would be immensely popular with or without gambling.

Gambling is a huge part of any sport but doesnt make the sport any less relevant especially when u consider the money fans spend on merchandise, tickets etc

Back
Top Bottom