• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where were you 9-11

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I think everyone will remember that day as long as they live, it was surreal for sure. I was on the side of a mountain falling timber for a yarder crew and suddenly the yarder and loader shut down , the tooter stopped tooting and I thought crap, broke down again. I kept working hoping it was a minor problem until after a while the yarder engineer showed up and had a really bad look on his face. I thought crap, someone's been killed. He told me what was going on and that he was shutting down the job and we were all going home. The two hour drive home seemed like a dream as I listened to the radio and the highway was empty, seems like everyone was staying home. I felt the world change in those two hours and I will never forget that feeling.

I was in Okinowa, Kadena Air Base. I couldn't sleep, so I went downstairs. My mom had the TV on, and the North Tower was burning.

Never will forget that moment.

I was working at a bar and grill then and when I walked in everyone was glued to the t.v. and when I saw what had happened I was shocked and stunned. There were rumors, which later turned out to be true, that the president was taken to the Air Force base here, so everyone was a little on edge they might come attack here.

I had just gotten up and turned on the TV for the morning news. The first plane had just hit. Even THAT was surreal. The announcers, a couple of them, were speculating on how in the world it could happen -- engine trouble, flying blind . . . whatever. And then one of them said something like, "OMG, here comes another one." *Chills even now*

I woke Tom up and we sat mesmerized. Didn't know WHAT to think.

"Who could do this??"

"Why???"

I went to the office and they'd set up a TV in the bullpen.

One of my co-workers is from India. He said something like, "This is radical Muslims. Those people are crazy. We've got to do something."

It's funny, I don't remember when I heard about the other two planes. But the initial two? Burned in memory.

I had just gotten up and turned on the TV for the morning news. The first plane had just hit. Even THAT was surreal. The announcers, a couple of them, were speculating on how in the world it could happen -- engine trouble, flying blind . . . whatever. And then one of them said something like, "OMG, here comes another one." *Chills even now*

"Who could do this??"

"Why???"

One of my co-workers is from India. He said something like, "This is radical Muslims. Those people are crazy. We've got to do something."

It's funny, I don't remember when I heard about the other two planes. But the initial two? Burned in memory.

Good point about the other planes, they tend to be forgotten about and that is sad. I admit it's the twin tower planes I remember and for some reason the other two slipped my mind. I won't let that happen again.

First of all I am glad to be in this forum. We have come to a time when the language and content as expressed freely here is not welcomed anywhere else. We use words like: Enemy, Russians, fronts, attacks, mass murder, bombs, 9-11, so easily and no one misunderstands these compared to RL that I am very glad to have found this site! :)

Try mentioning the E word anywhere else! Did you had that experienced in your lives? You go like: "Nah Serbs back then were the ENEMY" and the word echoes, sending chills to everyone's spine throughout the room while everyone looks at you in fear: ENEMY, Enemy, enemy, enemy, enemy... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had similar experiences with mentioning 9-11. Everyone is silent about it! This is a tragic day for USA, and I am reaching out from across the ocean, and all I get in response is dead silence!!! The non-political RL has nothing to respond in these matters I guess!

Anyway, back to the topic. This is an important experience for me and I like telling it. Not many places where it is tolerated that is all.

I was at a Pizza restaurant, here it happened at about 11:00 AM. It was a small TV hanged from the upper left corner. The first plane was showing how it flew directly to the first building. There were statements mentioned that this may be a terrorist attack but it was not for certain yet. When the second one hit it became certain!

It was unbelievable! It was like Hollywood! Who did it? Why? How? Were the main questions and I wanted to be involved.

For the remaining days that was the main news here. Firefighters became heroes but they still were not enough to detract from what had occurred.

I never will forget how the fvcking security guard played smart on me back then! There I was trying to reach out to American officials at the Embassy here. I traveled 2 hours and walked an hour more to reach the Embassy in Prishtina. The guard would not let me even approach and talk to them! I could not even send one smallest message at these most neediest times!!

My condolences to the demised, my wish that the remaining alive to be healthy, my solidarity that things should work out, my intent and offering to be of some service if needed - all were summarized in a single 4-5 word sentence, in a bad handwritten style for a guard, and thrown to the trash when I left there! Who knows how many such messages were intended to be communicated properly from the public here, and were wasted instead.

They made a short movie about Albanian men being decided in their chambers from the elderly (typical cultural to here) to go and return the favor to USA by offering their might against culprits. Even this movie did not reach as far! :(

Last edited:

"Who could do this??"

"Why???"

I was in my office preparing for an appointment with the news on my PC. A co-worker yelled out... then I saw the second plane hit. All I kept thinking was get out and run away... those buildings are going to collapse.

I was at home, getting ready for work. Hy husband had just left to drop the kids off at daycare.

The tv was on "Good Morning America", and they were talking about a plane that had hit one of the towers.

They didn't sound like they knew what was happening, and thought maybe a pilot had misjudged the building....when here came another plane and I watched with my mouth hanging open as it flew right into the second tower . I remember saying out loud, "holy **** ... that wasn't a mistake!"

I called my husband who had already dropped the kids off and told him what was going on.

I went to work, and they had drug a tv upstairs into the lobby of the bank, and we all watched as the Pentagon was hit, reports of the other flight crashing, ... we saw people jumping from the twin towers... God, that was the worst thing to witness, so surreal.

A lady I was standing next to asked, "why aren't they shutting down flights...what the hell is going on??"

I do remember going outside and looking into the sky, and I remember How eerily quiet it was. no planes, helicopters...very little traffic. Finally they had shut down all air travel.

A family member of mine had died in the Pentagon that day, we just were unaware of that at the time.

What a horrifying day that was. I had called my mom to pick the kids up...Maybe that was irrational, but at the time, everything was irrational.

I'll never forget that day. It seems like just yesterday.

I was working in Cheltenham, MD at a naval communications facility near Andrews airforce base, when the news came out of the NY terror attacks. I later saw our figther jets take off and head west, after the Pentagon attack. I thought that this $100K attack would likely cost us $1 billion - I now know that my U.S. response cost estimate was far, far too low.

I was a kid. Not much more than 8 years old, maybe 3rd grade? We were doing math problems. My class had about half the kids in it there usually were after lunch because their parents had picked them up. I asked my teacher why and she could barely keep her emotions straight.

In my office, when one of the employees from the store up front (she was from NJ also) came back and said to turn on the TV.

I watched in horror as the second plane hit. Then I spent the next 4 hours desperately trying to reach my Brother or sister, who lived about 25 miles outside NYC.

Months later, I learned that an old friend from school, who had an office (I forget which) in one of the towers but wasn't supposed to be in that day, was never seen after that day. No one knows if he went in for something, and was caught in that.

I was a kid. Not much more than 8 years old, maybe 3rd grade? We were doing math problems. My class had about half the kids in it there usually were after lunch because their parents had picked them up. I asked my teacher why and she could barely keep her emotions straight.

Were you old enough to feel the world change or does it seem to you this is the way things have always been?

Were you old enough to feel the world change or does it seem to you this is the way things have always been?

I could sense that people felt a lot less safe after it happened.

I was in the seventh grade and had just gotten out of chorus. The got all of us together and the 6-8th graders went to church where they told us. After that parents started picking up their kids and our soccer game that night was cancelled and our practice was kickball. We didn't have school the next day either.

At work in my office.
Radio said there was an accident, small plane had hit one of the towers.
Thought how the hell does that happen. People from up front where there was a TV came in and said its burning pretty good.
Just as I walked in the office with a TV the second plane hit.
Some people panicked because they were from that area and had friends and family there.
My wifes god father had just retired from a mutual funds company that was located at the 77th floor if I remember right.
Much like Pearl Harbor, anyone who was old enough to be aware will remember it forever.

Was watching GMA with my to go coffee cup ready to head to the range as support for a CLEET class. They broke to a picture of the WTC on fire and son of a bitch ANOTHER jet came in and hit the other tower! My thought was we are at war with someone now. Went on to the range, the Police had heard of the attack and for some reason the Instructors had loaded long rifles on their shoulders 'guarding' the range.

A submissive I knew was in Tower 2 for the annual new financial adviser meeting. One class ended early and the next would start when it should so she and a few others made the mad dash downstairs to grab a smoke. She had her smokes, lighter and security card to operate the elevator. Halfway down Tower 1 was hit, when they got to the lobby they saw a ton of paper fluttering by the front doors. She had been working in a small cafe in OKC when McViegh bombed the federal building so she knew what that was. She yelled RUN and away they went. they were almost a block away when her tower was hit. Many in her class were hurt, some brutally. She and her friends watched the Towers fall, then walked back to the hotel. No money, no phone, no ID, no credit cards but feeling very lucky compared to so many. She still works in New York City but for a different firm.

I had flown in from Cali the day before and when I flew the next month the Super 80 was damn near empty. I had the run of the plane. Coming back home I ate in first class and slept in the back where 3 seats made an OK bed. There were more attendants than passengers.

I don't think 9-11 changed the world but it did remind us we are part of the world, no longer isolated by oceans or a huge military.

I don't really believe the world changed that day.

I was sitting in a boat, on the lake, crappie fishing with my late husband. We didn't even have a radio on, but another fisherman came by and told us what was happening.

I guess you felt it or you didn't.:shrug:

or maybe I wasn't as naive about the probability of a major terrorist attack in the US given our foreign policies :shrug:

In a special education classroom watching the first tower smoking, and then saw live the second tower hit.

Back
Top Bottom