• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where is the outrage?

c0wardlyli0n

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The media networks have rightfully been covering the multiple police murders and shootings. Politicians, and others have demonstrated their outrage. Their outrage is justified and murder is not acceptable nor is it a productive means to any end except a stronger and more harsh police-state.

But what has been missing is the same outrage when unarmed and innocent civilians are murdered by the police. There is some media coverage but few outlets have the courage or decency to call these killings what they are. Murder.

This failure by the mainstream media to treat the murder of innocent and unarmed people as an event JUST as serious as the murder of police is a grave injustice to us all. Until we the people are treated by those in authority in the same fashion as they are treated, this violence cannot and will not be effectively addressed.

More registered voters among the angry mob than there are among law enforcement. Always cater to your base.

The media networks have rightfully been covering the multiple police murders and shootings. Politicians, and others have demonstrated their outrage. Their outrage is justified and murder is not acceptable nor is it a productive means to any end except a stronger and more harsh police-state.

But what has been missing is the same outrage when unarmed and innocent civilians are murdered by the police. There is some media coverage but few outlets have the courage or decency to call these killings what they are. Murder.

This failure by the mainstream media to treat the murder of innocent and unarmed people as an event JUST as serious as the murder of police is a grave injustice to us all. Until we the people are treated by those in authority in the same fashion as they are treated, this violence cannot and will not be effectively addressed.

When cops are ambushed and murdered, sniped and murderd, there isn't much question that a serious crime has been committed.

When cops kill someone, it's not instantly apparent what the circumstances were.

Really, you can't discern a difference?

When cops are ambushed and murdered, sniped and murderd, there isn't much question that a serious crime has been committed.

When cops kill someone, it's not instantly apparent what the circumstances were.

Really, you can't discern a difference?
Okay, that is a fair response and I agree that the initial coverage when a killing occurs is going to favor the dead police. However, after the dust settles from a civilian murder and the facts are known, the media fails to treat the situation properly.

Also, when police murder someone, they have the advantage of ownership of the investigation. Police investigate police shootings and I have doubts that truth is always the priority, and more likely, it is seldom the main focus. Police and media are interested in preserving the stability of society and the truth is likely to jeopardize that stability.

Okay, that is a fair response and I agree that the initial coverage when a killing occurs is going to favor the dead police. However, after the dust settles from a civilian murder and the facts are known, the media fails to treat the situation properly.

Also, when police murder someone, they have the advantage of ownership of the investigation. Police investigate police shootings and I have doubts that truth is always the priority, and more likely, it is seldom the main focus. Police and media are interested in preserving the stability of society and the truth is likely to jeopardize that stability.

If there is one thing recent events have shown us it is that cops do a LOUSY job of policing themselves.

When there are dead police killed by civilians, media is ALWAYS going to favor the dead cops. What do you think the media should do? Report that they deserved to die?

Absolutely not. Killing anyone except under the terms of legitimate self-defense is unacceptable in any circumstances in my opinion. I'm not criticizing the coverage of murdered police. I am criticizing the failure of the media to cover the murder of civilians.

Funny, in other threads far right conservatives are complaining endlessly about how the media is over-representing police shootings of unarmed civilians. I guess the outrage is wherever you choose to find it.

Absolutely not. Killing anyone except under the terms of legitimate self-defense is unacceptable in any circumstances in my opinion. I'm not criticizing the coverage of murdered police. I am criticizing the failure of the media to cover the murder of civilians.

Have you watched the news in the past few weeks? Really?

Funny, in other threads far right conservatives are complaining endlessly about how the media is over-representing police shootings of unarmed civilians. I guess the outrage is wherever you choose to find it.

Have you watched the news in the past few weeks? Really?
Have the politicians stepped up to the plate and criticized the police?

Seems the media has covered incidents when a LEO shoots a private citizen
Seems the media covered the protests by groups of the shooting
Seems the media has covered when a private citizen shoots a LEO
Seems the media has covered when a private citizen shoots another private citizen.

What I find interesting is the lack of protest by the public regarding the shootings of LEO.
What I find interesting is the lack of protest by the public when civilians shoot civilians. Which is a bigger problem than cops shooting someone.

Seems the media has covered incidents when a LEO shoots a private citizen
Seems the media covered the protests by groups of the shooting
Seems the media has covered when a private citizen shoots a LEO
Seems the media has covered when a private citizen shoots another private citizen.

What I find interesting is the lack of protest by the public regarding the shootings of LEO.
What I find interesting is the lack of protest by the public when civilians shoot civilians. Which is a bigger problem than cops shooting someone.
I absolutely disagree with that assessment. When police murder civillians it is far more serious than civilians killing each other. When the citizens cannot or do not trust that those in authority will treat them decently, a free society cannot exist.

Where have you been? Police shootings of unarmed people are almost a constant in the news.

Their outrage is justified and murder is not acceptable nor is it a productive means to any end except a stronger and more harsh police-state.

A more harsh police state will only cause the killings to escalate substantially. One of the big problems causing the conflict between the police and the public is the fact the police have stopped protecting and serving and are being used to rule over the people. There is a major difference between the 2.

The big difference is when you kill a police officer or elected official you are killing someone who is representing the people in most cases. If a police officer is murdered by their spouse or friend in a dispute it gets about the same coverage as anyone else. When police officers are murdered because they are police officers that is more like declaring war against the people who gave them the authority to enforce our laws. Big difference. And of course if the media can spin it into race or any other money making hype there will be much more coverage. If people actually care the media would put it on the front page is that clear enough.

The media treats murder the same as any other news. If people care and buy the newspaper or watch it on TV they will provide it. We the people determine what is news in most cases. You also have the rich and powerful who use the media which they own to push their agenda. The other thing you have to remember is that who is killed and why is an important factor on how much coverage something will receive. If you kill the president you have now killed someone who is representing 300 million people. If you kill me I am only representing me. Guess which one is going to make you more money? The green god still rules this country.

You do realize that (bolded above) legal process takes months at a bare minimum and may take years. How long after HRC's unauthorized private server was discovered did the security "investigation" take? Keep in mind that 100% of that evidence was already supposed to be in government hands.

Where are the politicians?

Those Police did nothing wrong. Both of those victims were carrying guns and it is the responsibility of the gun carrier. The one made a mistake and started telling the officer about a gun while he was reaching for his wallet the other simply resisted arrest and it cost him his life.

I thought the media covered it very well producing them the next story.

You do realize that (bolded above) legal process takes months at a bare minimum and may take years. How long after HRC's unauthorized private server was discovered did the security "investigation" take? Keep in mind that 100% of that evidence was already supposed to be in government hands.
I do and that is a huge problem.

Those Police did nothing wrong. Both of those victims were carrying guns and it is the responsibility of the gun carrier. The one made a mistake and started telling the officer about a gun while he was reaching for his wallet the other simply resisted arrest and it cost him his life.

I thought the media covered it very well producing them the next story.
It's part of the training to have a concealed carry permit to identify to an officer that you are in possession of a firearm and that you are indeed a registered and permitted carrier. So no, he didn't make a "mistake".

I do and that is a huge problem.

Agreed, but better to let 10 guilty go free than to incarcerate (or worse) 1 innocent to keep the thugs from rioting. "Everyone" was just so sure Michael Brown was shot while standing still with his hands up and that Freddie Gray was fatally injured by being bounced around at high speed for a "long time" until evidence was found showing those "theories" to be wrong.

The wheels of justice turn far too slowly to get all of that toothpaste back into the tube. Media rushes to present us the "breaking news" and will spew whatever nonsense is offered up by "someone claiming to have been nearby".

It's part of the training to have a concealed carry permit to identify to an officer that you are in possession of a firearm and that you are indeed a registered and permitted carrier. So no, he didn't make a "mistake".

Johnny don't bring your guns to town, did you ever hear that song?

I don't remember from the media accounts but it seemed he was reaching for his wallet when he decided I mean remembered to tell the officer he had a gun. I would have my hands on the dash to tell him or sadly perhaps his sister had to remind him. The officer has only seconds for his genes to process the information and make a decision.

Johnny don't bring your guns to town, did you ever hear that song?

I don't remember from the media accounts but it seemed he was reaching for his wallet when he decided I mean remembered to tell the officer he had a gun. I would have my hands on the dash to tell him or sadly perhaps his sister had to remind him. The officer has only seconds for his genes to process the information and make a decision.
How do you know that is what happened?

Well, I'm not sure but this is what I thought the Media accounts seemed to indicate.
It's entirely possible that's how it went down, but we don't know for sure. If he did identify himself as having a gun at the same time as he reached for his wallet, that certainly wouldn't be justification for killing him. Who would try to kill a cop while at the same time saying that they have a gun? That doesn't add up.

How do you know that is what happened?

The cop made a mistake too. He forgot he told him for his ID by the time he considered other factors, training, protocol and life.

That's a lot of information for his genes and flame to go through for you to carry a gun without a steel holster and the cost to us him and this unlucky fellow and the cost police mistakes to Dallas and other communities.

The cop made a mistake too. He forgot he told him for his ID by the time he considered other factors, training, protocol and life.

That's a lot of information for his genes and flame to go through for you to carry a gun without a steel holster and the cost to us him and this unlucky fellow and the cost police mistakes to Dallas and other communities.
I just hope that maybe, just maybe an honest and productive dialog can result from this instead of simply more violence, distrust and fear.

Back
Top Bottom